You are not alone if you are experiencing difficulty selecting college essay topics! While many students appreciate the freedom of choosing a topic, most pupils depend on being provided college essay prompts.
But don’t worry because this article contains over 50 different essay suggestions. (Many of these can be used as college essay questions, proposal essay ideas, or even college research essay topics.)
There are so many research topics and college essay tips here that you should bookmark this page immediately because this list could be essential later!
But here’s an even better idea — bookmark Custom-writing.org straightaway. The helpful college essay tips in articles like this are just the start; Custom Writing service also offers professional writing help at a range of reasonable prices.
📋 How to Use This Awesome Essay Topic List
There is no magical key to picking satisfactory topics, but there are multitudinous ways to select unproductive topics. Lists like this are helpful, but you’ve got to learn how to use them. Accordingly, here’s the best method for utilizing topic lists.
First of all:
Do not restrain your early brainstorming; when you sit down to come up with writing topics, write down every topic that comes to mind. If you come across any other list like this one, write down every topic you see that sounds interesting or appropriate. You might even want to peruse college essay samples for topic inspiration.
Once you have your own list of conceivable topics, review the essay instructions or prompt, if any exists; then, exclude topics that are inappropriate; and lastly, try to ascertain which of the remaining topics you are most capable of writing about. This might be the topic you have the most passionate feelings about, or it might be the topic you simply understand most absolutely.
⏩ The Best Topic for Your Next Essay
Now that you know how to employ this list, let’s examine the list itself. These exceptional possible essay subjects are arranged by topic, so you may want to print off one or more sections so you can mark up the list to zero in on the right topic for you.
👴 Picking the Right Essay Topic on Personal Character and Experience
- Adventure: There are many ways to write about adventure in an essay; you can write about a particularly adventurous situation of your own or one experienced by another individual, perhaps a famous figure.
- Leadership: Typically, the many essays on leadership describe a particular leader or a specific situation, but a novel perspective on this subject is highlighting episodes of disastrous leadership, like the expansion of fascism after World War I or exploitation under European colonialism.
- Decision making: Both commonplace decisions and monumental, earth-shattering decisions make fantastic essay topics — the next 3 topics demonstrate the complete range of essays on decision making. (Tip: Utilize these as problem solution essay topics In this specific situation, simply spend more time focusing on what the decision-maker did correctly or incorrectly.)
- US President Truman deciding to drop atomic bombs on Japan: This decision may have been the most significant of human history because it marked the introduction of a technology that could annihilate the human race. When President Truman permitted the deployment of atomic weapons on Japanese civilians, he ushered in a grave chapter of human history.
- Deciding what to wear today: This might be the most mundane decision because every human does this each and every day; however, because it is extraordinarily routine, it might be one of the most fascinating proposal essay topics — if composed thoughtfully.
- Purchasing decisions in the supermarket: Similarly, everyone must decide what to eat several times every day. In an essay on this subject, focus on the general trends that describe grocery shopping decisions.
- Picking a book to read: The average American reads fewer books than at any earlier time in history, souse an essay on selecting a book to read to explore this issue. (This is particularly interesting when you recognize that more books are being published nowadays than ever before.)
🚶 Picking the Right Essay Topic on Everyday Life
- Pressure on women to marry: In most societies, women are coerced into marriage more forcefully than men, so this is a remarkable topic for investigating sexism in everyday life.
- Personal feelings on marriage: Alternatively, your essay could also be about how you personally feel about marriage.
- Sports: Everywhere in the world, fans fervently adore sports, so it’s a spectacular subject for an essay, irrespective of whether your tone is serious or lighthearted.
- Football: Because it has gradually become the top sport in America, a football essay is especially relevant to readers, but because of the long-term health risks associated with concussions, football is well-suited for a sports persuasive essay (or any sports college essay).
- Basketball: After soccer, basketball is the most rapidly growing sport globally. Your basketball essay could delve into the geopolitical implications of this newly globalized sport.
- Love: It is the quintessential human emotion, and that’s why love is a timeless topic for any writing assignment.
- Happiness: Love and happiness go together, so it is no surprise that happiness is a fruitful writing topic — concentrate on the pursuit of happiness, simply being happy, or anything else.
- Christmas carols: Everyday life includes the holidays that come just once a year. It might sound strange, but you should strongly consider writing about Christmas carols. In fact, the next few topics are even more specific regarding Christmas carol topics.
- The 19th century origins of Christmas carols: You could write about the origins of Christmas carols, most of which date back to the 19th century — previously, Christmas songs were restricted to church hymns.
- Christmas carols around the world: Every country with significant populations of Christian celebrates Christmas uniquely, and this makes the global diversity of Christmas carols one of the more interesting research topics.
- Personal feelings evoked Christmas carols: Once again, you can choose to make yourself the topic of your essay, and you can do this by simply writing about how Christmas carols make you
💉 Picking the Right Essay Topic on Health
- Food: Everyone consumes food, so you surely have something to say about any number of countless food topics that are available. The next few ideas are more focused within the broader context of food.
- Healthy eating: In the wealthiest and poorest countries on earth, healthy eating means very different things, and focusing on either variety of healthy eating has plenty of potential.
- Fast food: People have never eaten so much fast food as they do in our busy contemporary world, so write about this interesting trend that has plenty of health implications as well.
- Childhood obesity: Because of all the high-calorie foods that are available today, many children in industrialized countries have weight problems — this has some extraordinary potential for persuasive writing.
- Alcoholism: Substance abuse problems like alcoholism have been an exemplary subject of writing for a long time. You can use a data-based approach for a research report or contemplate the implications of this problem.
- Smoking: In the United States, smoking is one of the top causes of death, and there are so many ways to expound upon smoking that the following topics are just a tiny percentage.
- Smoking in public: Should it be outlawed, is it a public health hazard, or just a basic liberty that the government is unjustified to control or even regulate?
- Smoking should be banned: This is an extremely and unusually strong stance to take, but often these are the most entertaining essays to author.
- Why people smoke: All smokers have their initial justifications for beginning to smoke, so perhaps use your essay to explore one or more reasons.
- Quitting smoking: Some people use tobacco substitutes like candies or even nicotine gum, but everyone struggles.
- Smoking and mood: If you smoke or know a smoker, the linkage between smoking and mood is undeniably intriguing.
- Second-hand smoke: When people smoke, those who are nearby also breathe in many of those toxins, so you could write about the moral implications or even just the societal and health impacts.
- Smoking and cancer: Everyone understands that smoking and inhalation of cigarette smoke is linked to cancer, so if you choose this topic, attempt to take a novel perspective.
- Smoking and cardiovascular disease: Long-term smoking has been linked to heart disease and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), which means it should be fairly straightforward to convince your reader of these very clear dangers.
- Peer pressure: The vast majority of smokers begin as youths because their friends or acquaintances are already smoking.
- In pop culture: Movies and television series were once exceedingly common mediums for the depiction of smoking, but your essay could explore how this pattern has evolved over time.
- Acquiring habits from family members: As pointed out by a famous public service announcement from the 1980s, drug use like smoking actually runs in families. You could explain why this should or should not be the case — both make terrific essays.
👥 Picking the Right Topics on Ethics and Society
- Abortion: In majority Christian nations, there is no more contentious topic than abortion, which is why the next few ideas converge upon this controversial subject. (Of course you can always write a balanced abortion research paper where you present various abortion facts.)
- Abortion as a controversy: You could treat your abortion essay as an abortion debate essay in which rather than taking one position, you do your best to present both perspectives.
- The case against abortion: In writing an abortion pro-life essay, you should proffer various potential reasons to oppose abortion.
- The case for access to abortion: You may also consider an abortion prochoice essay. In this type of abortion persuasive essay, you should emphasize the costs to individuals and society when women are denied access to abortions.
- Honor: Whether it is honor killings or honor as a device in literature, so many essayists have pondered honor that there is certainly at least one more decent essay to be written on the subject.
- Shoplifting: One of the most common forms of crime in the world includes petty thefts such as those that occur during shoplifting. Your essay could spotlight the motivation of individuals for shoplifting, methods of discouraging the practice, or even its implications to retail businesses. (Maybe you can even detail a personal story about a friend who has shoplifted.)
- Animal cruelty: Another woefully wide spread form of abuse is animal cruelty, which can range from dog fights to factory farming and everything in between.
- Current events: If you are having a difficult time picking a topic, open up a newspaper or go to your favorite news website. Your next essay can be on the first article you read that captures your attention.
- Child labor: In the developed world, the job of children is to simply learn, grow, and enjoy themselves, but in the developing world, this is unfortunately not reality — the next few topics give some specificity to this rather problematic matter.
- History of child labor: Under this subject, you would survey the diminution in child labor over time, but you might also want to consider atypical counter examples of this trend.
- Child labor across the world: In this sort of essay, you should evaluate how child labor varies from one geographic region to another.
- Child labor laws: The foremost reason child labor doesn’t occur is because it is banned by law, so take some time to research how effective these laws are — and aren’t.
- Unemployment: Sometimes, there aren’t sufficient jobs for even the adults in a nation, never mind the children, so consider exploring why this economic failure happens.
🎩 Picking Historical Figures for Your Interesting College Essays
- Your country’s heroes. You can write an amazing college essay on a historical personality who highly appraised in your state. What is this person’s contribution? Why is it valued?
- Villains. IVY league essays often include an analysis of deeds or personalities of notorious people. You can write about Hitler, Stalin, Mao Zedong, Pol Pot, as well as Mengele, H. H. Holmes, Caligula, and, unfortunately, many others.
- Influential people. Your college essay can focus on some notable figures in politics, finance, science, literature, architecture, visual arts, music, sports, or even pop culture.
- Most influential females. You can write about women who could achieve a lot in the men’s world. Write about Elizabeth I, Margaret Thatcher, Indira Gandhi, and many other renowned females.
- People who changed the world. Great college essays unveil some of the most significant events and personalities. You could explore the contribution of Nikola Tesla, Charles Darwin, Henry Ford, etc. What areas of people’s lives have changed due to these people?
- Characteristic features. An excellent college essay can provide an analysis of essential traits that make an influential (inspirational, notorious, famous, etc.) historical person. This kind of paper can be a proposal essay for your Psychology course.
🎓 Picking a Topic for Your College Life Essays
- Choice. You can write your college essay about your decision making. Why did you choose your college? Are you happy with your choice?
- Habits. Write about good and bad habits that affect your academic life. How can you get rid of bad habits?
- Major challenges. In your college experience essay, you can describe the major issues you have faced. How did you handle them? You can describe your college essay failure. You can come with a really good college essay.
- Striking events. You might have had a life-changing experience. This theme can help you write a perfect college essay.
- University life. You can also try to imagine your future and write an essay on university life. How college and university students differ? Why?
🏞 Picking Uni Essay Topics on Environmental Issues
- Local Issues. Success in college essay writing largely depends on a vital but straightforward factor – you should pick a problem you are interested in or the one you know a lot. You can write about some environmental problems you and your community faces or faced.
- Most urgent problems. Such burning issues as pollution, deforestation, biodiversity loss, scarcity of natural resources, as well as other serious challenges, can jeopardize the existence of the human race shortly if solutions are not found. You can come up with a really good essay.
- Solutions. Many countries and individuals try to address the problems mentioned above. Winning college essays include a description and analysis of efficient or inefficient solutions. You can write a strong college essay about emissions restrictions, the use of renewable sources of energy, and so on. Why are some solutions ineffective?
- Renewable energy. Solar energy, windmills, the potential of water resources, electric vehicles, and many other solutions are now in place, but environmental issues are still persistent. Your problem solution essay can answer the following questions. Why is renewable energy underused? Why is the production of electric vehicles in its infancy although it started at the beginning of the 20th century?
- Global and political perspectives as essay subjects. Some countries, especially in Western Europe, are making significant progress regarding the development of sustainable practices. However, some states especially in the developing world or at some periods of their grows are focused on gaining economic wellbeing or supremacy. Will the USA be one of the global polluters during Trump’s presidency?
- Personal effort. It can seem a personal essay for college, but it is a good idea to describe your input in solving environmental problems. Do you plant trees or use renewable energy resources? Is it enough? Can an individual make a difference? Why or why not?
- Historical perspective. What did people do to preserve nature several centuries ago? Why did they do it?
- Future. You can try to describe the society of the future. Will people overcome today’s problems?
😂 Picking a Topic for Funny College Essays
- Funny experiences. University essay writing can be enjoyable and even entertaining. Describe some of your adventures! Make your teacher laugh!
- Humorous stories. Make up funny stories. Be creative!
- Curious history. You can find tons of funny stories if you dig deeper. Many entertaining events are well-documented.
🚻 Picking Essay Themes Related to Gender Issues
- Machismo. What is it? How was the term coined? What areas are contaminated explicitly with this concept? Think about sport, politics, popular culture, and so on.
- Gender roles. Many Harvard essays provide answers to the following questions. How are gender roles distributed in your country, community, family? What are the factors that led to this distribution?
- Famous feminists. Explore the contribution of Lucrezia Marinella, Anne Bradstreet, Emmeline Pankhurst, Eleanor Roosevelt, Marlene Dietrich, Alice Walker, Hillary Clinton, Oprah Winfrey, and many other renowned women.
- Feminism. A winning university essay can focus on feminism, its origins, its future perspectives, its significance to the history of humanity, and its different forms.
- Men’s views. Writing a good college essay involves the analysis of different perspectives. It can be fascinating to examine men’s attitudes towards the matter.
- Matriarchy. You can write about modern societies such as Bribri or Garo. You can find such examples in the past. What about Neolithic Ages or Bronze Age?
- Biological differences. It can be an eye-opening experience if you explore biological physiological between males and females. Are they that different?
🎭 Picking a Topic for Writing Creative College Essays
- Think about the form first. You can write a poem, a short story, a screenplay, or even a novel (or excerpt from your future masterpiece).
- Fantasy world. These can become outstanding college essays that describe new brave (or beautiful) worlds. Your dreams, books you read, films you watched or even news you heard can be the source of your inspiration.
- Detective stories. Suspense is often the key to interesting essays. You can write unique college essays about a murder in a castle, a theft in your college dorm, fraud in a famous (or fictional) company.
- Stream-of-consciousness. This type of work can be the most straightforward task you have ever completed. Just write about your thought, dreams, and ideas. Whatever comes to your mind!
- Creative college essay themes. Love, beauty, life, death, hatred, loss, nature, future, past, emptiness, and so on.
🌀 Picking a Topic for Writing a College Essay on Diversity
- Ethnic diversity in different countries. How did people co-exist? How did they solve different conflicts? Why did the conflicts occur? The USA is one of the most attractive and conventional examples of a melting pot. What challenges do they face?
- Cultural diversity. Many Stanford essays explore issues associated with cultural diversity and the way it can affect individuals, workplaces, and societies.
- Religious beliefs. Religion is one of the subjects to write an essay on. You can concentrate on (as well as compare) Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, and dozens of other religions. Scientology or Happy Science can become excellent subjects for writing an essay.
- Sexual identity. This topic can seem slightly controversial or even unacceptable for a college essay format. You can write an outstanding argumentative essay on same-sex marriages or the inclusion of issues such as transgender identity in the K-12 curriculum.
📄 Picking Best Topics for Your Short College Essay
- Teenagers’ concerns. You can write a simple essay on the appropriate age to vote or proper age to be able to buy alcohol. You can also examine major reasons for misunderstanding between children and parents.
- Best something ever. A good way to start a college essay writing is to write about something or someone you admire. Write about your favorite movie. What can you learn from it?
- Inspirational someone. Write your simple English essay about your favorite teacher? How did this person change your life?
- Political issues. Many Stanford short essays are concerned with the political life of the USA. You can write a winning electoral college essay on the flaws in the US electoral system. You can try to answer the question many people ask. How could Trump win?
- Concepts. You can define an idea in your short essay. Write about consumerism and the existing definitions of this term. Which one is the most appropriate? Why?
🎨 Picking a Topic on Visual Art
- History of art. Numerous Princeton essays are devoted to the history of art. What were the major movements? Why did art evolve in the way it did in different countries?
- Historical periods. Your paper can dwell upon a specific era. Why did Renaissance occur? What are the central peculiarities of Post-Modernism?
- Personalities. Countless Cornell essays on art provide an analysis of the contribution of titans or art. Your essay writing can become a fascinating process if you focus on Da Vinci or Gaugin, Monet and Warhol, Artemisia Gentileschi or Barbara Kruger.
- Prospects of artistic forms. You can use your imagination and think of the world of the 2050s. You can analyze some trends and predict the movements that will come into place in 100 years.
- Masterpieces. Essay writing practice associated with the ability to narrow down topics. You can choose a specific work. You can choose from the following: The Birth of Venice, The Scream, Starry Night, Girl with a Pearl Earring, and the like.
🕵️ Picking a Topic on Major Conspiracy-Related Issues
- Space exploration. If your essay requirements concerning the topic are not too strict, you can try to answer some of the following questions. Was there any leap on the Moon? Why was the Moon project shut down? Is there life on Mars?
- Wealth. An excellent essay for college students can focus on the distribution of resources. Is there a league of people who own or control all the resources? How did rich people earn their money?
- Secret societies. Does Illuminati exist? Can such a secret society persist in the modern world?
- Kennedy. Who killed the most loved president? Why was the investigation so inadequate? Were there any other countries’ agents?
- Aliens. Essay writing for college students can be exciting! Does the area 51 exist? Are aliens among us? What do governments hide?
😇 Picking Themes for Your Personal Statement
Many college essay help lists do not take into account this type of work although writing a personal statement essay or a transfer essay is the first crucial step that can define your future! At that, it can be quite challenging to decide what to write about in a personal statement for college? How to make it a winning paper? How to make it interesting enough?
- Credentials. When writing about your academic achievements, it is appropriate to mention the major things like your degree or courses you had. However, you should focus on the lessons you learned rather than specific grades and certificates.
- Personality. A successful acceptance essay will reveal your inner personality traits. Admission officers want to know who applicants are. Every university has its specific culture so they should make sure you can fit in.
- Events rather than descriptions. Of course, your college entry essay cannot be a list of characteristic features. Describe some events where your traits helped you or, on the contrary, made you a loser. Again, do not forget about the lessons you learned!
- Commitment. Your college admittance essay should also show your commitment. Why do want to study there? Why do you want to take this or that course? What are you ready to do for your alma mater?
- Humor. Even Harvard personal statement essays are often characterized by humor. Humorously write about your failures, and admission officers will see your ability to stand up and fight.
- Creativity. When applying to a literary course, it can be effective to write a poem rather than a typical description of your educational background.
Hopefully, that is enough college essay topics for you to make a great choice, but if you need more proposal argument essay topics, check out the rest of the materials on the Custom-writing.org blog. There are general writing tips, essay formatting guidelines, and much more to guide your writing.
But if tips and tricks are inadequate or you truly need some real college essay examples, reach out to the writing experts at Custom-writing.org. They can give you the essay you need, when you need it, so your grades keep you and your parents happy.
This might be interesting for you:
✏️ College Essay Topic FAQ
If you are choosing a topic for research, think about what makes you genuinely interested. You are going to spend quite a long time studying the subject. So if you are bored from the outset, you will not be able to do a good job and fascinate your reader either.
A good topic for research should not necessarily be very serious. It means that the subject under study should really fascinate you. Then you would be able to make your research interesting for others, too. Study something connected with your hobby, favorite author, animal, or even country.
To choose a good topic for your paper, think about the type of it. Different topics are appropriate for argumentative, persuasive, informative, cause and effect essays. The main thing is that the subject should interest you. Your essay would be more exciting for readers if you have fun writing it.
If you are lucky enough to choose a topic yourself, you have a great opportunity to have fun writing the essay. Don’t waste it! To figure out the best subject, think about hobbies, favorite books, films, music, etc. Do you know something special that you can share in an essay?