The success of any college essay depends on the topic choice. If you want to impress your instructors, your essay needs to be interesting and unique. Don’t know what to write about? We are here to help you!
In this article by our Custom-Writing.org team, you will find 255 interesting essay topics for college students. We’ve also included some helpful tips on choosing a topic that will make your essay stand out.
🔝 Top 10 Essay Topics for College Students
|🎯||Career aspirations and goals to achieve.|
|📚||Your favorite writers and poets.|
|👰||Personal feelings on marriage.|
|⚔️||What is the definition of honor?|
|👔||Traits that make an influential person.|
|🔭||Great inventors and their contributions.|
|♻️||Historical perspective on ecological problems.|
|🤖||The society of tomorrow.|
|♀️||Ecofeminism, its origins, and perspectives.|
|🖌️||The major art movements of the late XX century.|
📋 How to Pick a College Essay Topic
There is no universal advice on picking a great essay topic. However, the tips below will surely help you avoid choosing a mediocre one. Just follow these steps:
STEP #1: Start with brainstorming.
Relax and write down everything that comes to mind. It can be related to your personal life or areas of interest.
STEP#2: Use outside sources.
If you need additional inspiration, find a list of essay topic suggestions. Pick several options that appeal to you.
STEP#3: Select a topic.
Once you have your list of possible topics, do the following:
- Review the essay instructions or prompt, if you have one.
- Exclude ideas that are not suitable or compelling enough.
- Decide which of the remaining topics you want to write about. It might be the one you are interested in or understand best.
College Essay Topics: Fields & Disciplines
Now that you know how to choose a theme for your assignment, let’s examine this list of college essay ideas. These exceptional topics are arranged by subject, so you can go right to the section that interests you the most.
|🧑||College essay ideas about your personal experience will allow you to discover more about yourself. You can find additional topics in our article on personal essays.|
|📝||Topics from your everyday life, even the most insignificant and obvious ones, can be worth pondering.|
|🏺||History knows many examples of outstanding personalities. You can learn something valuable from each one of them.|
|🔮||Creative college essay topics are perfect for you if you enjoy coming up with stories.|
|🏫||Your life as a student is an excellent source of college essay topics. You can look back at your classes, relationships with teachers, or campus life.|
|🍎||Health and mental well-being make excellent topics for college students. You may also check out our list of health-related issues.|
|⚖️||Ethical issues are some of the most controversial topics to write about in college. Be sure to research your topic from different perspectives. You’re also welcome to choose ideas from our list of topics in ethics.|
|♻️||Environmental problems are among the most pressing global issues. Check out our list of environmental topics for more ideas.|
|😂||If humor is something you like, you’ll enjoy writing a funny college essay.|
|♀️||Gender equality is something every modern society should strive to achieve. Feel free to choose a topic below or from our list of topics on feminism.|
|🤝||Diversity is a priority in modern societies. You can ponder the strategies that can help us ensure all people’s well-being.|
|🎨||Visual arts are an incredible way to convey experiences that can’t be put into words.|
|👽||Conspiracy theories are fascinating to explore. Discover where they originate from and what they can tell us about our society.|
🧑 Personal Essay Topics for College
- Your perfect date.
- Settling an argument.
- What’s usually in your bag.
- Your most memorable purchase.
- What your upbringing was like.
- One quote that inspired you the most.
- What you do to make the world better.
- Where you want to spend your life.
- When the effort was worth the result.
- An unusual feeling you’ve experienced.
- A life-changing adventure. There are many ways to write about adventure in an essay. You can describe an interesting situation from your own life or one experienced by another individual, perhaps a famous figure.
- Positive and negative leadership examples. Typically, essays on leadership describe a specific person or a situation. A more interesting perspective on this subject is highlighting episodes of disastrous leadership. Some examples include the expansion of fascism after World War I or exploitation under European colonialism.
- Decision making. Both mundane and monumental, earth-shattering decisions make great essay topics. You can choose a situation and describe what the decision-maker did correctly or incorrectly.
- Deciding what to wear today. This might be the most mundane decision that everyone makes daily. However, just because it’s so ordinary, it might yield a fascinating college essay if explored thoughtfully.
- President Truman’s decision to drop atomic bombs on Japan. This decision may have been the most significant of human history. It marked the introduction of a technology that could annihilate the human race. This decision may have been the most significant of human history. It marked the introduction of a technology that could annihilate the human race.
- Purchasing decisions in the supermarket. Similarly, everyone decides what to eat several times every day. In an essay on this subject, focus on the most interesting factors influencing grocery shopping decisions.
- Picking a book to read. According to The Atlantic, an average modern American reads fewer books than at any earlier time in history. With this in mind, consider writing an essay on selecting a book to read. This is particularly interesting when you recognize that more books are being published nowadays than ever before.
- Childhood experiences as behavioral drives. An analysis of childhood experiences can help interpret individual character traits. Any challenge and achievement play a part in the formation of behavioral drives. You can discuss them in the context of one’s mental development.
- Parenting styles and motives. Everyone knows that the role of parents in children’s lives is crucial. For your essay, you can choose to evaluate specific approaches to interacting with a child. Obtain reliable data about a child’s habits and find correlations with social adaptation principles.
- Problem-solving skills in everyday life. Problem-solving skills allow a person to overcome challenges. You may assess these skills from your perspective. This essay can also highlight the traits that enable you to cope with difficulties.
- Negotiation skills and conflict resolution attainments. The ability to compromise is a valuable personal quality. It can be helpful in different areas of interpersonal communication. In your paper, analyze ways to enhance this skill for successful conflict resolution.
- Bill Gates’ initiative to create Microsoft and change the world. Thanks to Bill Gates, computer technologies became available to everyone. Assessing his career path can help identify specific components of success. What valuable lessons can we learn from him?
🖌️ Descriptive Essay Topics for College Students
- What your hometown is like.
- What you dislike about the Internet.
- If emotions were personified.
- How you experience art.
- Holiday season and nostalgia.
- Your personal teaching experience.
- How regular workout makes you feel.
- The impact of music on your body.
- National holidays in different countries.
- Traditions you observed around the world.
- Marriage: then and now. In bygone eras, most children were born within wedlock. In the contemporary world, fewer marriages take place than before. What are the reasons behind it?
- Pressure on women to marry. In the past, women were coerced into marriage more forcefully than men. Unfortunately, this tendency remains in many societies even today. You can choose this topic to investigate sexism in everyday life.
- Sports in your life. Everywhere in the world, fans fervently adore sports. It’s a spectacular subject for an essay, no matter if your tone is serious or lighthearted.
- Football: pros and cons. An essay about this popular American sport will surely spark your readers’ interest. For instance, you may explore the long-term health risks associated with concussions.
- Basketball as a global sport. After soccer, basketball is the most rapidly growing sport globally. Your basketball essay could delve into the geopolitical implications of this newly globalized sport.
- What is love? It is the quintessential human emotion, and that’s why it’s a timeless topic for any writing assignment.
- Happiness and how to achieve it. Love and happiness go together, so it is no surprise that happiness is a fruitful writing topic. You can choose to concentrate on pursuing happiness, simply being happy, or anything else.
- The 19th century origins of Christmas carols. You could write about the origins of Christmas carols, most of which date back to the 19th century. Before that, Christmas songs were restricted to church hymns.
- Christmas carols around the world. Every country with a significant population of Christians celebrates Christmas uniquely, making the global diversity of Christmas carols one of the more interesting essay topics.
- Personal feelings evoked by Christmas carols. Once again, you can focus on your personal experience. Simply describe how Christmas carols make you feel. feel.
🏺 Narrative Essay Topics for College Students: History
- The life of Socrates.
- Nero and the Roman Empire.
- Everyday life of Puritans.
- Events of Mexican-American War.
- Life during the Great Depression.
- Women in Trojan War.
- The start of the Nuclear Age.
- Heroes of the Space Race.
- Pearl Harbor through the eyes of a witness.
- The fall of the Sumer civilization.
- Local heroes. You can write a fantastic college essay on a historical personality who is highly appraised in your state. What is this person’s contribution, and what makes them outstanding?
- Real-life villains. The Ivy League essays often include an analysis of notorious people’s deeds or personalities. You can write about Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Mao Zedong, Pol Pot, Josef Mengele, H. H. Holmes, Caligula, and many others.
- Influential people in any area. Your college essay can focus on some notable figures in politics, finance, science, literature, architecture, visual arts, music, sports, or pop culture.
- The most influential women. You can write about women who achieved a lot in the “men’s world.” Choose between Elizabeth I, Margaret Thatcher, Indira Gandhi, and many other renowned figures.
- Scientists who changed the world. You may write a great college essay about the contributions of Nikola Tesla, Charles Darwin, Thomas Edison, and other scientists. What areas of our lives have changed thanks to these people?
- Great conquerors and their power. Alexander the Great, Genghis Khan, Attila, and other commanders were outstanding people of their time. They expanded their territories thanks to successful military campaigns. Your essay may focus on one of these great conquerors.
- Hitler’s decision to unleash World War II. Adolph Hitler’s personality is often explored in academic works. Your paper can explore what prompted the German leader to popularize Nazism in Europe. Understanding it may help prevent the repetition of such events.
- Religious figures. Explore individuals who developed essential doctrines and spiritual teachings. Your essay may include the key ideas of people such as Thomas Aquinas and Joseph Smith Jr.
- Fighters for justice and equality. Democratic societies were significantly influenced by those who struggled for human rights. Freedom of people around the world was their primary goal. Your essay can assess the roles of Mahatma Gandhi, Nelson Mandela, or Martin Luther King Jr.
- Voyagers and discoverers. Thanks to the great explorers of the past, the world as we know it today was shaped. You can write about Christopher Columbus, Ferdinand Magellan, and others in your paper.
- Roman emperors. Ancient Rome was the greatest civilization of its time. Throughout its history, individual emperors have contributed to its prosperity. Julius Caesar, Nero, and other rulers can be the focus of your essay.
🔮 Creative Writing Topics for College Students
- A conversation with yourself from the past.
- What would life be like on a rogue planet?
- If you were an ancient conqueror.
- A children’s fairy tale.
- What if there is no money in the world?
- A new perspective on a famous story.
- If you lived in another era.
- What are animals thinking?
- A perfect world as you see it.
- A horror story in the style of Kafka.
- Detective stories. Suspense is often the key to interesting essays. You can write a unique story about a murder in a castle, a theft in your college dorm, or fraud in a famous (or fictional) company.
- The world of your fantasy. Write an outstanding college essay that describes a brave new (or beautiful) world. Your dreams, books, films, or even news you’ve heard can be the source of your inspiration.
- Stream of consciousness. It can be the most straightforward task you have ever completed. Just write about your thought, dreams, and ideas. Whatever comes to your mind! Make sure to edit it afterward.
- Description of a dystopian world. Come up with a dystopian scenario to assess contemporary vices and problems. Use descriptive words to make your essay stand out.
- A new look at traditional values. For a creative essay, try rethinking traditional values. For instance, you may provide new perspectives on compassion, charity, respect, and other essential components of a civilized society.
- A short movie script. One of the ideas is to write a short film script on any topic. This task will allow you to showcase your storytelling skills.
- The future as you imagine it. You can pay particular attention to social issues and their development. Will the situation improve in the future?
- Reporter experience. Conduct an investigation and report your findings in a creative essay. This work may include interviews, illustrations, and the analysis of issues. This approach allows moving away from traditional forms of essay writing.
- On behalf of another person. Take an opportunity to explore an issue from someone else’s perspective. For instance, you can assess the difficulties faced by people of the opposite sex. It can help analyze the problems of interpersonal communication.
🎓 College Essay Topics for Various Fields
College Life Essay Topics
- Making a choice. You can write your college essay about making a decision. For example, how did you choose your college? Are you happy with your choice?
- Good and bad habits. Write about the patterns that affect your academic life. How can you get rid of the unproductive ones?
- Major challenges. In your college experience essay, you can describe the major issues you have faced during your school years. How did you handle them?
- Time-management practices. College studies are often stressful. That’s why multitasking is an important skill. In your essay, explore the topic of time management. Analyze the algorithms for competent task distribution.
- Memorable events. Did you ever have a life-changing experience? You can write a perfect college essay about it.
- University life: expectations vs. reality. You can also try to imagine your future and write an essay on your expectations related to university life.
- Interaction with classmates. An interesting topic for a college life essay is building relationships with classmates. It can be helpful to study the basics of teamwork. Conflict resolution practices are also important factors of interpersonal peer communication.
- Freshman experience. You can describe it in anecdotes or conduct some research. For instance, assess the challenges and barriers that first-year students face. Then, determine optimal mechanisms to overcome them.
- Teamwork and group activities. Describe appropriate ways to communicate with people in groups. Or, you can focus on the crucial features of effective teamwork.
- Research work experience. College education involves conducting many kinds of research. They refer to theoretical training and the practical study of subjects. In this regard, you can describe your personal research experience.
- The importance of self-education. Students often face the need to study some subjects on their own. Self-education and its aspects can be an exciting topic to explore. Focus on honing individual skills and overcoming academic challenges.
- A comparison of high school and college. For many high school students, the idea of college study is different from reality. You can describe the distinctions between the two levels of education. Give personal views on the learning process and common pitfalls.
Health Topics for College Students
- Healthy eating. In the wealthiest and poorest countries on Earth, healthy eating has very different meanings. Focusing on cultural variations of healthy eating has plenty of potential.
- Fast food and its popularity. People have never eaten so much fast food as they do now. Consider writing about this interesting trend and its health implications.
- Childhood obesity as a global health issue. Because of all the high-calorie foods available today, many children in industrialized countries have weight problems. This issue has some extraordinary potential for persuasive writing.
- The problem of alcoholism. Substance abuse problems such as alcoholism have been an exemplary subject of writing for a long time. You can contemplate the implications of this problem in your college essay.
- Smoking in public. Should it be outlawed? Is it a public health hazard or just fundamental liberty that the government is unjustified to control or even regulate?
- Why do people smoke? All smokers have their initial justifications for starting to smoke, so perhaps use your essay to explore one or several reasons.
- Quitting smoking. Some people use tobacco substitutes like candies or even nicotine gum. Whatever the methods are, everyone struggles when trying to overcome an addiction.
- Smoking should be banned. This is an extremely strong stance, but these are often the most entertaining essays to write.
- Smoking and mood. Studying the linkage between smoking and mood is undeniably intriguing, especially if you smoke or know a smoker.
- Dangers of second-hand smoke. When a person smokes, nearby people also breathe in many of the toxins. You could write about the moral implications or the societal and health impacts of this phenomenon.
- Smoking and cancer. Everyone understands that tobacco use is linked to cancer, so attempt to take a novel perspective if you choose this topic.
- Smoking and cardiovascular disease. Long-term smoking has been linked to heart disease and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD.) Try to convince your reader of these very clear dangers in your essay.
- Peer pressure and tobacco use. The vast majority of smokers develop this habit at a young age because their friends or acquaintances are already smoking.
- Smoking in pop culture. In the past, movies and TV shows often depicted smoking. Your essay could explore how this pattern has evolved.
- Acquiring bad habits from family members. As pointed out by a famous public service announcement from the 1980s, addictions such as smoking can run in families. You could explain the implications of it.
Ideas for College Essay on Ethics and Society
- Abortion as a controversy. You could use this topic for an abortion debate essay. Rather than taking one position, try to do your best to present different perspectives.
- The case against abortion. In writing a pro-life essay, you need to offer various reasons to oppose abortion.
- The case for access to abortion. You may also consider a pro-choice essay. In this type of abortion persuasive essay, you need to emphasize the costs to individuals and society when women are denied access to abortions.
- Shoplifting and its consequences. Your essay could explore the motivation for this practice, methods of discouraging it, or even its implications to retail businesses. Maybe you can even detail a personal story about a friend who has shoplifted.
- Types of animal cruelty. Another woefully widespread form of abuse is animal cruelty. It can range from dog fights to factory farming and everything in-between.
- Current events analysis. If you have difficulty picking a topic, open up a newspaper or go to your favorite news website. Your next essay can be on the first article you read that captures your attention.
- History of child labor. Under this subject, you could survey the decline of child labor over time. You might also want to consider atypical counterexamples of this trend.
- Child labor laws. Child labor doesn’t occur on a larger scale because it is banned by law. Take some time to research the effectiveness of these laws.
- Child labor across the world. In this essay, try to evaluate how child labor practices vary from one geographic region to another.
- Unemployment and child labor. Sometimes, there aren’t enough jobs even for the adults in a nation, not to mention children. Consider exploring why this happens.
Environmental Issues Essay Topics for College
- Local environmental issues. Success in college essay writing largely depends on one factor: you should pick a problem you are interested in or know a lot about. For example, describe what environmental issues you and your community face.
- The most urgent ecological problems. Burning issues such as pollution, deforestation, biodiversity loss, and scarcity of natural resources can jeopardize the existence of the human race if solutions are not found. You can come up with a perfect essay on any of these challenges.
- Renewable energy. Solar energy, windmills, electric vehicles, and many other solutions are implemented every year, but environmental issues persist. Your essay can answer the following questions: Why is renewable energy underused? Why is the production of electric vehicles in its infancy, although it started at the beginning of the 20th century?
- Global and political perspectives on sustainability. Some countries, especially in Western Europe, are making significant progress in developing sustainable practices. However, some states focus on gaining economic well-being or supremacy, especially in the developing world. Will the US be one of the global polluters in the future?
- Global warming and how to stop it. This is an urgent contemporary issue that deserves particular attention. An essay on a climate catastrophe may prompt readers to discuss the problem. Describe the ways to avoid adverse consequences for nature and humanity.
- Water and air pollution. Write about the impact of pollution on individual spheres of life. For example, focus on the correlation between contamination and economy.
- The depletion of natural resources. Ecological issues are often connected with natural resources. They’re essential in industrialized societies. You can discuss the depletion of these resources in your college essay.
- The issues of waste disposal. Environmental activists are concerned about severe soil pollution. They also address the negative impact of landfills on ecology. All of this shows that waste disposal is an urgent issue. Study how much of a threat it poses for humanity.
- The dangers of animal extinction. Over the past few decades, many species have become endangered. You can review this problem as a consequence of industrial development.
- Deforestation’s consequences. This topic is closely related to the issue of mass extinction. Forests are a habitat for countless species of animals and plants. What adverse effects does deforestation entail?
- The economic impact of environmental problems. Focus on financial aspects and budget spending on pollution control. You can also highlight the importance of addressing challenges associated with climate change.
Topics for Funny College Essays
- Humorous stories and personal experiences. University essay writing can be enjoyable and even entertaining. Describe some of your adventures or make up a funny story for your assignment. Be creative!
- Interesting historical facts. You can find tons of funny stories if you dig deeper into history. Many entertaining events are well-documented. Choose one and write an essay about it.
- Funny and awkward situations. All students know what it’s like to be in an uncomfortable situation. Try to describe such an event in a comical way. It will allow you to look at it from a different perspective.
- Dealing with unexpected tests. Sometimes professors don’t warn their students about upcoming tests. Did it ever happen to you? You probably didn’t enjoy these experiences. Still, why not describe them in a humorous essay?
- Your personal teaching experience. This topic is suitable for student teachers. Have you tried teaching a whole classroom of noisy children? Successful or not, these experiences make great anecdotes.
- Excessive efforts. Some students put too much effort into education. Sometimes it pays off, and other times it’s all in vain. Does it sound familiar to you? Write an essay about it!
- Poor time management. Delays, late deadlines, and other time management catastrophes can form the basis of this essay.
- Jokes on classmates. Innocent pranks help maintain a friendly environment and even serve as team building. Describe the memories of such humorous situations in your essay.
- Your professors’ jokes. Not only students but also teachers are often inclined towards humor. Occasional jokes on their part can be a good essay topic for college. Such gags can contribute to maintaining interest in a learning environment.
- Least favorite lessons. Describe the most boring or unpleasant class you can remember in a humorous manner.
- Making friends with other students. Awkward and funny situations often accompany these experiences. They can serve as a topic for a great essay.
- Unexpected praise. It’s always a pleasure to receive unexpected recognition from teachers. It’s especially gratifying when you do something well by accident or without even trying. Did anything like that ever happen to you? Then write a short story about it!
Best College Essay Topics on Gender Issues
- Machismo: what is it? How was the term coined? What are areas of life negatively affected by this phenomenon? Think about sports, politics, or popular culture.
- Gender roles in modern societies. Many Harvard essays provide answers to the following questions. How are gender roles distributed in your country, community, family? What factors led to this distribution?
- Famous feminists. Explore the contributions of Lucrezia Marinella, Anne Bradstreet, Emmeline Pankhurst, Eleanor Roosevelt, Marlene Dietrich, Alice Walker, Hillary Clinton, Oprah Winfrey, and many other renowned women.
- Men’s views on gender. Writing a good college essay involves an analysis of different perspectives. It can be fascinating to examine men’s attitudes towards gender issues.
- Matriarchy as a social system. You can write about modern societies such as Bribri or Garo. Or, you can find examples of matriarchy in the past. What about Neolithic Ages or Bronze Age?
- Biological differences between sexes. It can be an eye-opening experience to explore physical differences between men and women. Are they that different?
- Patriarchal society in today’s world. Assessing patriarchy as a trend can help identify key stereotypes and stigmas. How can we facilitate women’s empowerment?
- Workplace gender discrimination. Even today, many women struggle to get promoted due to gender stereotypes. Biased attitudes are unacceptable in modern organizations. Where do they originate from, and what should be done about it?
- Conflicts between boys and girls at school. The foundations of interpersonal interaction are laid in a collective environment. Analyze students’ behavior patterns related to interactions between boys and girls. What are the most common causes of conflicts?
- Family violence from a gender perspective. Family violence is a grave social problem. In your paper, identify the underlying determinants of domestic abuse.
- The role of women in science. Assess the contribution of women scientists from different eras. You can focus on their specific achievements and auxiliary work. Both the humanities and the sciences are suitable for analysis.
- Individual duties in parenting. The roles of fathers and mothers in families are often separated. In your essay, analyze stereotypes and behavioral patterns related to parenthood. You can use specific variables such as the time spent with children.
- Women in men-dominated occupations. Assess the performance of women in positions usually occupied by men. You can study female CEOs, firefighters, or filmmakers. What are the career prospects for women in these fields?
Titles for College Essays on Diversity
- Cultural diversity’s importance. Many Stanford essays explore issues associated with cultural diversity and how it can affect individuals, workplaces, and societies.Many Stanford essays explore issues associated with cultural diversity and how it can affect individuals, workplaces, and societies.
- Ethnic diversity in different countries. The US is one of the most conventional examples of a melting pot. How do people of different cultural backgrounds co-exist there? What challenges do they face? How do they solve conflicts?
- Variety of religious beliefs. Religion is one of the most interesting subjects to write an essay on. You can concentrate on Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, and dozens of other religions. Scientology or Happy Science can also be excellent essay subjects.
- Diversity related to sexual identity. You can write an outstanding argumentative essay on same-sex marriages or the inclusion of issues such as transgender identity in the K-12 curriculum.
- Personal contribution to diversity development. Address the promotion of diversity as an important social phenomenon. Your essay will raise awareness of this practice.
- Children’s and adults’ views on diversity and ethnicity. This essay can highlight crucial aspects of interpersonal communication. You can pose questions from a child’s perspective. Do other people’s ethnic backgrounds play an essential role for children compared to adults?
- Cross-cultural management in modern organizations. Leaders of various companies promote this valuable practice. It’s highly relevant in today’s business environment. The trend of globalization is one of its crucial factors.
- Gender diversity in the management field. Issues related to the distribution of leadership roles are often discussed in the context of gender. In your paper, evaluate the perception of male and female managers. This analysis may reveal the existing trends and views on the issue of diversity.
- Gender diversity from a criminological perspective. You can evaluate the current situation in the legal field. Assess offenses committed by people of different genders. The proportion of female prisoners, the severity of crimes, and other essential aspects can be used as criteria for comparison. This work may help assess potential bias.
- Gender diversity in the army. Attitudes towards women in military service are interesting to discuss. In an essay, you can present distinctive opinions. Mention the importance of involving people of all genders.
Short Essay Topics for College
- Teenagers’ concerns. You can write a simple essay on the appropriate age to vote or the proper age to buy alcohol. You may also want to examine major reasons for misunderstanding between teenage children and their parents.
- Best something ever. An excellent way to start a college essay is to write about something you admire, such as your favorite movie. What can you learn from it?
- Someone inspirational. For example, why not write an essay about your favorite teacher? How did this person change your life?
- Political issues in the US. Many short college essays are concerned with political life. You can write a winning essay about Electoral College or the flaws in the US voting system.
- An abstract concept. You can define an idea in your short essay. For instance, write about consumerism and the existing definitions of this term. Which one is the most appropriate? Why?
- Modern social values. The topic refers to the shift in moral values. For example, you can discuss the roles of wealth and personal beliefs. Compare them with the values of past eras to highlight the changes.
- Contemporary addictions and methods to deal with them. Explore excessive smartphone use, gaming, and other new addictions. Include the ways of dealing with these problems.
- A management theory overview. This paper can summarize individual findings related to management. Alternatively, you can present one of the theories of business development.
- Proposal of a legal act. This topic is perfect for a law essay. For example, discuss the document’s purpose, stakeholders, and industry-specific implications. The intersection with other regulations is optional.
- A geographic location. A short essay format is convenient for a description of a specific place. You can start by providing the basic facts about it. Include its population, area, resources, and several other parameters.
- Definition of an economic term. In this short essay, analyze a term of your choice. For instance, discuss inflation, capital, clearing, or any other definition. Explain the term you’ve chosen in simple words.
- A science to study. Choosing a science to learn is a potentially daunting task. In your essay, assess any field of study you like. Describe their benefits and pitfalls. You can also mention career prospects.
Great College Essay Ideas in Visual Arts
- Historical periods in art. Your paper can dwell upon a specific era. Why did the Renaissance occur? What are the central peculiarities of Postmodernism?
- Artists and their personalities. Countless Cornell essays on art provide insight into artists’ legacy. Your essay writing can become a fascinating process if you focus on Leonardo, Paul Gauguin, Claude Monet, Andy Warhol, Artemisia Gentileschi, or Barbara Kruger.
- Prospects of artistic forms. You can use your imagination and think of the world in the 2100s. Try to predict the movements that will become popular in 100 years.
- Masterpieces. Essay writing practice is associated with the ability to narrow topics down. You can choose a specific work for your analysis from the following list: The Birth of Venice, The Scream, Starry Night, and Girl with a Pearl Earring.
- Different genres and styles in visual art. Many distinctive genres characterize visual arts. They differ in style, period, and other aspects. In your essay, you can describe impressionism, surrealism, cubism, abstract art, and other genres.
- Mediums in visual arts. Every art form is distinguished by the use of materials. Explore the peculiarities of oil paintings, prints, or watercolors.
- Art galleries to visit around the world. You may want to choose one art gallery and describe its history. Your essay will be even more interesting if you add the descriptions of the most famous artworks found in the museum.
- How auction houses work. Numerous art pieces and collectibles are sold at auctions. One of the world’s most famous auction houses is Sotheby’s. In your paper, present the workings of an auction of your choice. Add individual examples of profitable deals from its history.
- The most expensive art objects. The cost of many classical paintings is enormous. The prices are usually estimated by qualified experts. Explore this topic in your essay and include information on the most expensive art objects.
- The comparison of classical and contemporary art forms. Art is a dynamic environment that is constantly evolving. New genres and forms of expression appear regularly. In your paper, compare classical canvases with modern means of creative expression such as graffiti. What influences the emergence of new art forms?
- Rescued artworks and their history. History knows examples of great artworks that were found centuries after their disappearance. Your essay can study several art objects saved during wars.
Conspiracy-Related College Essay Topics That Stand Out
- Space exploration. If your essay requirements concerning the topic are not too strict, you can try to answer some of the following questions. Did “a giant leap for mankind” really occur? Why was the Moon project shut down? Is there life on Mars?
- Wealth distribution. An excellent essay for college students can focus on the allocation of resources. Is there a league of people who own or control all the resources? How did the world’s wealthiest people earn their money?
- Secret societies of the past and present. Does the Illuminati exist? Can such a secret society persist in the modern world?
- JFK’s assassination. Who killed the most loved president? Why was the investigation so inadequate? Were any other countries’ agents involved?
- Aliens among us. Does Area 51 exist? What do governments hide? With questions like these, essay writing for college students can be exciting!
- Did Adolf Hitler escape after World War II? One of the most mysterious conspiracy theories is the possible escape of Adolf Hitler. Some people believe that the Nazi leader moved to Argentina after World War II. Your essay may discuss whether his suicide was staged.
- Is HIV an experimental biological weapon against humanity? The end of the 20th century was a difficult time. During this period, a suspicion arose that HIV was a biological weapon. Pharmaceutical companies and governments were blamed for this. What caused this conspiracy?
- Did Elvis Presley fake his death? Elvis Presley, the idol of millions, passed away long ago. However, many fans don’t believe in this outcome. A conspiracy theory was born that the musician faked his death. You can explore its implications and determine what it says about American pop culture.
- 5G cell towers exposure and accusations against Bill Gates. Explore the public fears related to the potential exposure to 5G cell towers. Include the experts’ opinions and assess the role of Bill Gates as one of the promoters of fast Internet.
- Flat Earth theory and its followers. In recent years, many flat Earth proponents have emerged worldwide. In your essay, compare their arguments with officially existing data. Why is this conspiracy so widespread?
- COVID-19 conspiracy theory. Certain groups of people doubt the threat of the pandemic. They believe that the coronavirus is a fictional problem. Your essay might focus on the evidence for the virus’s existence.
✍️ Topics for Different College Essay Types
Below you’ll find writing prompts for problem solution, cause and effect, and definition essays. There’s also a section with personal statement essay topics. Check them out!
- In a problem-solution essay, you need to introduce an issue and suggest several ways to fight it. Usually, each body paragraph describes a different solution. This essay aims to convince the audience that these scenarios are the best ways to eliminate the problem.
- In a cause and effect essay, you need to discuss a problem, its reasons, and possible consequences. It’s better to pay attention to topics that involve multiple studies of the issue (you can read our cause and effect essay guide to learn more.)
- In a definition essay, you need to explain a term, concept, or idea. Sometimes a definition is only a part of a more extensive research paper. It’s crucial to study the topic from different perspectives to provide an extended definition. Before you start working on your essay, make sure that the meaning of the word you’ve chosen is not too simple.
- In a personal statement, you write about yourself. Writing a personal statement or a transfer essay is crucial when applying to college. How do you make it a winning paper? Read our personal statement guide.
Problem Solution Essay Topics for College Students
- How can students contribute to educational system changes in the United States? Discuss student communities and their impact on college life. Do students need to have more power and control over changes in the educational system?
- Ensuring access to clean water in developing African countries. Describe the achievements of charities that aim to help countries such as Ethiopia. You may also write about the costs of technologies that filter water. What are the possible solutions with a limited budget?
- How can you help make energy cleaner? Try to think about what you can do on campus that will enable clean energy access. Decide whether it should be a part of your curriculum.
- Ways of reducing plastic waste in oceans. Research the current efforts of environmental organizations and big businesses. Then, evaluate them and find the best solution.
- Healthy eating habits among children. Think about the right age to start educating children on healthy eating. Find several possible ways to develop the proper habits without forcing children.
- How can students address sustainability and climate change? Describe your participation in ecological projects, communities, etc. You can also discuss the possible things you and other students can do without spending too much time and money.
- Ways of stopping healthcare rising costs in the United States. Highlight the current problems of the healthcare model. What measures does the government take to solve them? Try to find the best way to optimize the resources.
- Psychological support for children who suffered from violence. Research the techniques specialists use when working with children. What do you find more preferable: therapy or medication? Suggest how we can protect children from further offenses.
- How can we provide equal chances to children who want to receive an education? For this essay, find as much information as possible about financial aid, including grants, loans, and other projects. What’s the best way to make education accessible to everyone?
- Reducing homelessness in the United States. Study the factors that make people homeless and what the government does to fight it. Then try to come up with an action plan.
Cause and Effect Essay Topics for College Students
- The effects of regular alcohol consumption on women’s health. Everyone knows that excessive alcohol consumption has highly adverse effects. In your essay, you can discuss the causes of alcoholism in women. Try to find specific information about diseases, psychological problems, and lifestyle changes related to them.
- What causes bullying among preschool children? Children might get violent due to many factors. Describe what beliefs and behavioral patterns influence their actions at preschool age.
- What are the economic effects of the 2020 lockdown? Write about the changes in the labor market, remote jobs, and new opportunities. How did small businesses manage to survive in extreme circumstances?
- Lack of education in African countries: causes and effects. Discuss why children in some African countries don’t have access to education. Then, explain how it affects labor markets and economies. Make sure to choose only one country as a research subject.
- What will be the effects of implementing higher taxes on tobacco? Will it inspire people to quit smoking or buy fewer tobacco products? Study the previous cases of such measures and predict the outcomes.
- How does social media affect communication in families? For this essay, research the influence of social media on family relationships. Do social media users communicate more or less with their closest relatives? on family relationships. Do social media users communicate more or less with their closest relatives?
- The causes and effects of glacier melting. Global warming, ozone depletion, and many other factors contribute to this process. Discuss how this issue influences people and animals.
- What would happen if everyone started using electric cars? Study the benefits and drawbacks of electric vehicles. You might discuss the CO2 emissions and safety.
- What are the effects of animal hunting in the United States. We can call hunting a hobby, a sport, and even an illegal activity. In your essay, describe the current laws and why people want to hunt. How do these activities influence animals’ populations?
- The causes and effects of chemical pollution in China. China is the biggest manufacturer of goods in the world. However, the waste that the factories produce becomes dangerous for its ecology. In your essay, research how chemical pollution affects the everyday life and health of the Chinese people.
Definition Essay Topics for College
- Behaviorism in psychology and philosophy. Consider writing your essay on behaviorism as a psychological movement at the beginning of the 20th century. Additionally, you can provide a broader definition by researching behaviorism in philosophy. century. Additionally, you can provide a broader definition by researching behaviorism in philosophy.
- How can we define egoism? People interpret human behavior and character traits in different ways. Someone who seems to be an egoist to you can seem like someone with a sense of self-worth to another person. You can provide your own viewpoint on this issue.
- What is the definition of evil? Some people believe in eternal evil, while others see evil even in the littlest bad things that happen to them. In your opinion, what makes someone or something evil?
- Does the term “commodification” only apply to goods? In the modern world, everything has value. Discuss the moral aspects of commodification and the limits of its application.
- What is your definition of the word “endurance”? You can compare the physical abilities of athletes and non-athletes. Don’t forget to mention mental stamina that involves dealing with psychological pressure and overcoming difficulties.
- Does the word “ambition” have a positive or negative meaning? Naturally, you can’t give a single answer to this question. Instead, you can discuss both sides of this concept in your paper.
- How can you define the word “dualism”? Describe all the meanings of the word “dualism” in philosophy and daily life. Don’t forget to provide your understanding of the concept. You may also explain why this term is controversial.
- What does the word “identity” make you think of? Cover all the meanings of this word. Begin with a set of qualities that defines a person. Also, you may include a psychological interpretation of the term.
- What is your interpretation of the word “justice”? Discuss the legal definition of this concept. Also, you can write about the moral aspects and the subjective meaning of the term. Describe how justice is related to rewards and punishments and its place in the modern world.
- What are your thoughts about realism? This term is used in many disciplines. For example, it’s prominent in literature and art. In your essay, you may describe realism as a philosophical concept and its different forms and perceptions.
Themes for Your Personal Statement Essay
- Your academic credentials. When writing about your academic achievements, it is appropriate to mention the major things like your degree or courses you’ve had. It’s better to focus on the moral lessons you’ve learned rather than your grades and certificates.
- Your personality traits. A successful acceptance essay will reveal your character. Admission officers want to know who the applicants are. Every university has its specific culture, so they should make sure you can fit in.
- An event that changed your life. Of course, your college entry essay can’t be just an enumeration of character traits. Describe some circumstances where your personal qualities manifested themselves. Again, it’s best to focus on the lessons you’ve learned!
- Commitment as your character trait. Your college admittance essay should also show your dedication. Why do you want to study there? Why do you want to take the course you’ve chosen? What are you ready to do for your alma mater?
- Humor in your life. Even Harvard personal statement essays are often characterized by humor. Write about your failures in a funny way, and admission officers will see your ability to stand up and fight.
- Academic goals and ways to achieve them. Choosing a field to study is a responsible step. You can describe this process in a personal statement. Justify your choice and mention the academic skills necessary for this particular field.
- Creative writing. When applying to a course in English, it can be effective to write a poem rather than a typical description of your educational background.
- Views on society and contemporary values. You can impress the committee by discussing your opinions. One convenient approach is to focus on modern society and its values. Analyze the foundations of a particular cultural environment and assess interaction gaps.
- Professional objectives you want to achieve. Without mentioning professional goals, a personal statement will be incomplete. One effective strategy is to evaluate the desired prospects you want to achieve. They can be related to education as well as work. Pay attention to relevant resources needed to acquire optimal skills.
- Cultural background from an ethnic perspective. A personal statement can be focused not only on your academic experience but also on your cultural background. Include the basic facts about your ethnicity, parents, beliefs, family values, and other information. This way, you’ll present yourself comprehensively and impartially.
- Self-evaluation over time: personal strengths and skills. Both short- and long-term perspectives are worth mentioning. Assessing individual development and career growth can provide you with a helpful timeline.
🚫 College Essay Topics to Avoid
When it comes to college essays, some topics might produce a wrong impression or offend your audience. That is why you need to know what kind of content is not suitable for your academic writing.
Here are the most common examples of the topics that you should avoid:
- Your personal life. Better leave the stories about your breakups aside. For a successful application essay, you can focus on the other areas of your life. Try to choose a topic that will show how well you are suited for the college.
- Inappropriate humor. Provocative, mean, or cruel jokes are not suitable for college essays. Your audience probably won’t consider such humor clever or funny. If you are unsure if a joke fits your task, don’t hesitate to ask your professor.
- Tragic stories. This trope is critical to avoid when writing essays about yourself. It’s okay to mention tragic events, but it’s best to avoid making a pessimistic narrative out of your paper. Instead, you can describe such occurrences as challenges to overcome and focus on the positives.
- Sensitive or controversial topics. Avoid them if you know that they may offend your readers. Politics, religion, abortions, and cruelty are not the best topics for college essays. If your assignment requires writing an essay on one of those topics, make sure you don’t make bold statements or provoke your audience.
- Cliché topics. It’s better to avoid writing about your academic achievements, volunteering, or winning a sports competition. Admissions officers and professors have read similar essays thousands of times.
- Overly narrow topics. It’s good to choose a topic that stands out because it’s not cliché. However, it becomes harder to find enough relevant information if it’s too obscure or limited. Choose a topic like this only if you are sure you will have enough data to research.
- Insulting someone. Offensiveness is a wrong approach to your assignment that creates a negative impression. It’s crucial to stay objective and professional when it comes to academic writing.
- Fancy words. Avoid overcomplicating your essay’s title and its contents. It’s also not a great idea to begin your essay with a trite quote. Instead, it’s best to prioritize logic and clear structure during writing.
- Vague topics. It will likely make your essay lack a focus, which will come off as unprofessional. Make sure to always narrow your topic down to a particular issue.
- Untrue and unrealistic topics. It might be interesting to fantasize about impossible scenarios and get creative. Still, remember that you need to support your statements with solid evidence. It’s much harder to do when you deal with unrealistic topics.
We hope these college essay topics helped you make a great choice. If you need more proposal argument essay topics, feel free to use our topic generator. Let us know in the comments what topic you’ve chosen!
This might be interesting for you:
✏️ College Essay Topic FAQ
Think about something that makes you genuinely interested. You will need to research the subject. So if you are bored from the outset, you won’t be able to do a good job and impress your readers.
A good topic doesn’t have to be very serious. It means that the subject under study should fascinate you. Then you would be able to make it enjoyable for others, too. Study something connected with your hobby, favorite author, or even a country.
To choose a good topic, you need to think about your assignment. Different issues are appropriate for argumentative, persuasive, and other types of essays. The main thing is that the subject should interest you. Your essay would be more exciting for the readers if you have fun writing it.
If you are lucky enough to choose a topic for yourself, you can have fun writing the essay. Don’t waste this opportunity! To figure out the best subject, think about your favorite things. If you want to share something with others, write an essay about it.