If you are about to go into the world of graduate school, then one of the very first things you need to do is choose from all the possible dissertation topics that are available to you. This is no small task. As stated in a letter posted by Stanford University, you will spend many years researching, writing, and perfecting your dissertation (by the way, you can always proofread it by Grammarly), which means choosing a dissertation topic should not be taken lightly.
But when it comes down to it…
How do you choose good topics for thesis writing? There are so many topics for a thesis, the possibilities are almost endless! This is why finding a dissertation topic can be difficult. Aside from considering suggestions given to you by your mentor or professor, you can always get inspiration from:
- Suggested topics found via Custom-writing.org or other source
- Titles of topics that have been done in the past
- Samples of past dissertations
You’ll want to see master dissertation topics or doctoral dissertation topics relevant to your field of interest. There is simply such a massive list of good thesis topics.
You need to know what makes a good dissertation topic. And try online courses below:
- The Fast Dissertation | Duration: 2 hours
- Writing With Flair: How To Become An Exceptional Writer | Duration: 3.5 hours
- Ninja Writing: The Four Levels Of Writing Mastery | Duration: 4 hours
- A+ Essays: A Structured Approach to Successful Essay Writing | Duration: 6 hours
- Write Now: Creative Writing Skills for Beginners | Duration: 5 hours
When wondering how to choose a dissertation topic, you don’t want your focus to be too big or too small. You will need to focus on a specific problem. Here are some guidelines when choosing a topic:
- Make sure you are interested in your topic. Otherwise, you will have a horrible few years ahead of you.
- Make sure the problem on which you are focusing is either very new or is a new aspect of a topic that has not been fully researched. Also, be sure that it can be related to the bigger picture in terms of the research that has already been done, even if the problem is new.
- When choosing your topic, be sure to consider the resources at you can use for your research. If you are working on something totally new, you might struggle to find the needed resources. This is fine, but it will make your research more challenging.
To choose a topic, follow these steps:
- Generate ideas: Consider many topic ideas, rather than just one
- Test: Run each idea you are considering through a testing phase to make sure it is possible to do the research and that you have the ability and resources to follow through with it.
- Refining ideas: You will be able to narrow down you choices and get rid of the ones that won’t work. Once you have just two or three left, you can improve these and decide on the best one.
Now you need some inspiration…
Take a look through the following list of free topics for dissertation to see if something stands out for you.
Education offers a wide range of potential fields of research and study, spread across preschool, primary, secondary, and post-secondary education. Here is a sampling of possible dissertation topics in education you can consider in the field of education:
- Americans study abroad to have a legitimate excuse to travel.
- How does working as a taxi driver and navigating change a person’s brain?
- To what extent can reality television be disempowering for students?
- The role of homework in the lives of immigrant adolescents.
- The impact of teachers’ shocking behaviors in fostering students’ creativity.
- The determinants of flossing behavior in college students.
- The classification of drinking styles in college age population.
- Integrating the computer into the curriculum: why you can’t simply plug it in.
- The preconditions for serious music-making avocation in computer science students.
- Adult graduate difficulties with learning technologies.
- The effect of academic performance on academic health of adolescents.
- The impact of mathematic coaching on students’ self-esteem.
- The influence of internet on emotional maturity of students.
- Academic achievements of students who decide to become teachers.
- Students are more likely to do homework given by good-looking professors.
- Informal learning in rural areas through social networks.
- Edublogging for professors: the social networks of educationists.
- Does learning existentialism cause suicides?
- Is it possible to reduce summer learning loss without students’ consent?
- Can we reject classical math and do it at the same time? Yes.
- Students are less likely to think something is weird if their teachers act like it’s not weird.
- Is a degree in Liberal Arts completely useless? What are major career prospects?
- Using electronic games in museums can be an effective education tool.
- Brainwashing people too fast can make them resistant to it.
- Creativity is a fantasy and nothing more than autohypnosis.
- Literature analysis is a fake, because we’ll never know what a long dead writer wanted to say with his/her book.
- Surfing the web for 10 years is equal to a college degree.
- Positive attitudes to school can improve academic performance, but students doubt it.
- Sex education is more stressful to teachers than students.
For more ideas for education dissertation topics, check out Appalachian State University’s list of past dissertation titles.
Getting your MBA is a big step and choosing an MBA dissertation can be tough. There are many areas in which you can focus for your MBA, including finance, management, and topics in organizational leadership. Here are a few suggestions:
- Conduct a case study, the purpose of which is to analyze one or several social phenomena
- Create a business plan that suggests analysis of the strategy
- Create a business plan that is focused on some specific, particular issue
- Workplace ethics in small businesses
- The phenomenon of remote working and how it is affecting business
- Managing the Millennial Generation
- Comparison of Generation X and the Millennial Generation
- Current trends in consumer behavior in relation to advertising
- An analysis of which countries margin financing is effective and why
- An analysis of the macroeconomic factors affecting exchange rates
- Empirical analysis of the impact of organizational performance and leadership
For more ideas for MBA dissertation topics, check out past topics done at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
The legal profession is full of possible thesis topics, such as the following:
- How criminal laws have been impacted around the world by the war on terror
- Choose a country and analyze their policies on discrimination
- Evaluate the protection given to minority shareholders as dictated by company law
- Provide a critical analysis of the law of omissions liability
- Investigating and analyzing complaints filed in the criminal justice system
- A critical analysis of the reform of homicide laws
- The morality and impact of euthanasia and how Canada sets a precedent
- A detailed analysis of gender and race profiling of suspects in the criminal justice system
- An analysis of the right to bear arms relative to the context in which the law was written into The Constitution
- Case studies that represent a review of criminal negligence related to the Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act 2007
For more ideas for a law dissertation, check out this brief look at past student work from Harvard University.
Computer science has a lot of different subject areas that provide a wide range of topics from which to choose, such as:
- Methods for improving Open Web Architecture
- An analysis of software solutions for the increased energy efficiency
- A case study and analysis how the protection of systems against terror attacks
- New methods of risk management during software development
- An analysis of how Web space requirements are changing
- An analysis of how e-publishing is affecting libraries
- New methods for studying the behavior of malware, viruses, and worms with the use of secure programming and runtime environments
- An analysis of redundancy and fault recovery in the 4G wireless network
- An analysis of the implementation and analysis of the optimal algorithm vs the heuristic algorithm for the generation of clusters
- An analysis of how full-text databases affect search engines
For more ideas, check out the list of past computer science dissertation titles from La Trobe University.
When choosing a dissertation topic in psychology, you must select a topic that will provide a credible and valuable contribution to the discipline of psychology. The key is to form a hypothesis and use research to support or disprove that hypothesis. To help choose a topic, here is a list of potential psychology thesis topics:
- Understanding the function of the prefrontal cortex in terms of how it is connected to other parts of the brain
- Understanding how the prefrontal cortex makes us human
- How emotional and anxiety disorders are connected to social cognition that is impaired
- An analysis of the ability of an MRI to determine brain function
- An analysis of the relationship between emotional and episodic memory
- A comparison of the plasticity of the child brain and the adult brain
- An analysis of the continued relevance of Piaget’s theory of cognitive development
- An in-depth look at the social intuitionist model and how it relates to the emotion and reason involved in moral judgement
- How the evolution of the human brain can be understood in terms of human cognitive development
- A demonstration of the multi-dimensional nature of schizophrenia
- How rational thinking and impulse contribute to decision-making
- A systematic analysis and review of the psychology of religion
- How exposure to nature affects happiness
For more inspiration when deciding on psychology dissertation topics check out past dissertation titles from the University of Edinburgh.
The arts and humanities cover such a wide range of subject areas that the possibilities for dissertation topics are extensive. Check out the following sampling of possible topics:
- The history of design in various periods of human existence (the ancient times, the Middle Ages, the Renaissance, etc.)
- Design as art
- Philosophy of design
- Separate branches of design (interior design, car design, toy design, etc.)
- Stylistic peculiarities of a certain designer
- Web design as a modern quintessence of design
- Social significance of design
- The birth of Communism as it relates to Stendhal
- The relationship between politics and literature in the 19th century
- An analysis and case study of artists and art during times or war
- How contemporary art is related to American suffering
- An analysis of how racism relates to the family unit
For more ideas for dissertation topics in the Arts and Humanities, check out the University of Texas at Dallas to find a dissertation sample that will help you.
Science is a very big subject area, with topics on chemistry, biology, physics, and earth sciences. Chances are you have specialized in one of these areas of science, but now you are looking to choose a dissertation topic to carry on. Here are some possible dissertation topics in the sciences:
- Morality and ethics of stem cell research
- Is behavior controlled or affect by genetics and to what level
- A look at methods of improving risk factors post-stroke
- An analysis of Chinese herbal practice and its relevance to conventional medicine
- An analysis and case study or the affect schools have on childhood obesity
- New methods of using existing data to gather information that is useful
- An in-depth look at the factors affecting the decline of the immune system with age
- An analysis of the potential effect of nanotechnology on health and the environment
- An analysis of toxicity levels of inhaled nanoparticles
- The usefulness of nanotechnology in curing some types of cancer
- An analysis and case study of the treatment of patients who have experienced a loss of memory
- An analysis of the use of DNA typing of remains to identify missing people and the victims of crime
- The response of immune deficiency diseases to the activation of T-cell subsets
- The influence and importance of IT in the field of biomedicine
When writing a dissertation proposal in nursing, consider ideas that are not frequently used but do address current issues in health care. You can choose any of the proposed topics for your nursing dissertation:
- Exercise, changes in lifestyle, and self-tracking for diabetes prevention and management
Center your research on different lifestyle changes (exercise, reduced smoking, and drinking) and explain how and why it prevents diabetes.
- Influence of stigma related to HIV/AIDS on representatives of ethnic minorities: a case study of Native Americans
Using research, provide compelling evidence of how Native Americans are stigmatized and discriminated against.
- Chronic illness management at home: recommended evidence-based practices.
Using current nursing and other professional research, discuss how adults and seniors manage chronic and autoimmune diseases.
- Depression and stress and their relation to preterm births in first-time mothers.
Collect several articles about the issue and using their conclusions show how depression causes preterm births.
- Burn out in nurses: factors that cause it and practical solutions for prevention.
Present outcomes of burnout (decreased performance and concentration, lousy workplace environment) and illustrate how it affects hospitals on a more significant scale.
- Public health: community-based measures to prevent morbid obesity.
In this research, you can list various methods that include exercise and education and explain in detail how they prevent the spread of obesity.
- Risk factors and injury rates in psychiatric nursing
Present statistics on different types of injuries in psychiatric hospitals.
- Diversity and inclusion in nursing education
When researching diversity, make sure you are using examples of different minorities and immigrants, and their perception of education.
- Euthanasia legislation in the USA: current issues and debates
Provide a thoughtful discussion of ethical and legal issues surrounding euthanasia.
- Organizational climate and its influence on perceived patient safety
Your study should focus on the importance of positive relationships between staff members, and its influence on the prevention of medical errors.
- Dietary practices and their influence on the quality of life in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus
SLE is a complex disease that requires a multidisciplinary approach. Describe nutritional research approaches to SLE.
University dissertations in architecture require both a scientific and creative approach to the subject. Luckily, there are plenty of topics that you can pick for your dissertation proposal:
- Religious architecture in the British Empire
Research the transformation of religious buildings and how it affected architecture in general.
- Modernist architecture in the USSR at the beginning of the 20th century
Compare modernist architecture in the USSR with other countries.
- Urban greening and its influence on buildings’ design
The dissertation proposal can include green roofs as the main point of research.
- Brutalism and its history in New York
Provide historical research of brutalism in New York and discuss how it affects modern architecture.
- Modern-day aboriginal settlements in Australia
Using examples from media and research, indicate how aboriginal settlements are perceived and handled today.
- Transformation of the urban design in the 21st century
Using London, Hong-Kong, and New York as examples, provide an in-depth discussion of changes in the urban design.
- The architectural history of Seattle
Conduct research and write a proposal that will compare different architectural styles seen in Seattle.
- Integration of culture in environmental design
In this proposal, you can use large cities in Asia as primary examples of the synergy between culture and architecture.
- The architecture of residential neighborhoods during the second half of the 20th century
Choose one large city (e.g., Berlin, Miami, Kyoto) as the basis for your research, as several towns are difficult to compare.
- The history of Moscow Avant-Garde
Use both Soviet and modern Russian research on Avant-Garde to present the topic accurately.
Coming up with a suitable topic for a marketing dissertation can be tricky. Check out these free essays on business and economics to get a better understanding of how your proposal might look like. The following topics can help you create a high-quality research proposal.
- Influence of online shopping apps on impulsive buying behavior
Using prominent examples such as Amazon and eBay, elaborate how apps affect customer’s decision to purchase an item through recommendations.
- Product design and its impact on consumer’s purchase decision
When preparing this thesis topic, consider using examples of large corporations such as Apple or IKEA to prove your point.
- Customer loyalty: the importance of satisfaction and loyalty programs
Conduct research using available surveys on satisfaction and draw conclusions from these statistics.
- Ethnic differences and their impact on brand perception
This research can review the types of products that target White or Black Americans specifically.
- Preferences for green products: analysis of the income’s influence on customer decisions
Compare what households are more likely to prefer green products.
- Shopping habits of Muslim consumers in the USA: qualitative research
Here, you will need to research by engaging Muslim Americans in your study; you can use interviews or surveys for this topic.
- Social media and its impact on the promotion of small business
Make sure your reader understands how social media can promote or negatively present small business through customers’ comments.
- Does globalization make preferences of customers from different socioeconomic backgrounds similar?
Using several classes (lower, middle, and upper), discuss the preferences of American households.
- Social media usage by international companies: a case study of Electronic Arts
Study the influence of customers’ reviews and opinions on EA’s sales.
- Consumers’ perception of transaction safety in online shopping applications
Discuss how consumers learn to differentiate between reliable and unreliable apps for payments.
Are you writing a history dissertation or looking for dissertation help? You can use the following list of history essay topics as a starting point. Moreover, these unique themes will also support you in crafting an engaging dissertation proposal:
- Gender perceptions in the Middle Age
When preparing the dissertation, use both historical and literary sources to show how gender was presented.
- Secularization in the American South during the post-war period
Provide a detailed discussion of secular societies forming in the South after the 1940s.
- Representation of Jewish history in contemporary art: a case study of Art Spiegelman's Mouse
Using the comic book as the primary basis, explain how Jewish culture and history are presented there.
- The history of medieval warfare and its influence on Modern Era warfare
When constructing this thesis, make sure you are using both historical and current research to provide details.
- American-British relations during the Cold War Era
Explain how the Cold War Era changes these relations and what has affected it the most.
- Germany's foreign relations during the 1980s
Present a detailed overview of different foreign relations (e.g., with the USA, the USSR, the UK) Germany had during this period.
- The financial crisis in the USA in 2007-2009
Using research and media sources, explain to the reader how the crisis is still affecting the USA.
- The development of Austrian identity after the World War II
In this case, you can use both historical evidence and Austrian literature that provides personal opinions of writers and artists on the issue.
- The impact of the Great Depression on the American involvement in the World War II
To show your understanding of historical processes, demonstrate how the Great Depression affected the USA’s perception of the WWII.
- How I stopped worrying and learned to love the bomb: the development of nuclear warfare in the 20th century
Discuss the development of nuclear warfare in the USA and the USSR.
There are multiple ideas for an advanced higher English dissertation proposal. Consider using these topics for your future qualitative research proposal:
- In-depth stylistic analysis of The Trial by Franz Kafka
Explain what stylistic devices Kafka used in his story.
- The influence of The Hound of the Baskervilles on the development of modern detective stories
Prepare several comparisons of The Hound with modern detective stories to pinpoint its influence.
- The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum: women’s characters in Heinrich Böll’s fiction
Using the book mentioned in the topic, examine how the German writer depicted women in his prose.
- Analysis of the terrorism portrayal in modern journalism: The New York Times case study
Pick several articles related to terrorism published in NYT and describe in detail how they are portrayed (keywords, images, etc.).
- A formalist approach to Dostoevsky: An analysis of The Brothers Karamazov
Provide the reader with an explanation of the formalist approach and use it to analyze the novel.
- The depiction of sexual violence in young adult literature
In this case, you can pick several YA novels published in the 2010s for your research.
- The use of repetition in Samuel Beckett’s Waiting for Godot
Analyze how repetition is used for emphasis and other effects in the play.
- Feminism and gender in Margaret Atwood’s Cats’ Eye
Review the book from a feminist point of view and discuss how gender issues are presented in the book.
- How does Phillip Dick use intertextuality in The Man in the High Castle?
Find as many references to other literary and historical sources as you can and elaborate how Dick uses them and for what aims.
- The influence of Steppenwolf on postmodern American literature: the contribution of Herman Hesse
Using Steppenwolf as the primary source, discuss what characteristics common for postmodern literature Hesse uses in this novel.
The following topics can be used for masters dissertation proposal, as well as a doctoral dissertation proposal, as they cover a wide range of issues worth researching in modern criminology. Consider using any of them to write an excellent dissertation:
- Recidivism rates among underage Latino first-time offenders: a quantitative study
Research a group of first-time offenders of a particular age (e.g., 18 to 25 years old).
- A comparative analysis of the incidents of gun violence in the USA during the 2010s
Choose several prominent examples and compare them to each other.
- Troublesome statements: the role of witnesses in potentially false accusations
In this dissertation, you can write about the unreliability of statements, using documented examples.
- The patterns of drug trafficking in Germany's largest cities: a case study of Berlin and Hamburg
Analyze the changes in these patterns in the 2010s.
- Money laundering and corruption in the United States in the 21st century
Using media reports, create dissertation research about corruption schemes.
- Mental health and self-perception of second-time sex offenders
Analyze how their self-perception changes or does not change.
- Campus shootings in the USA: causes and risk factors
Using recent and historical data, analyze the cases of mass shootings.
- The influence of cyberbullying on suicide rates among Australian adolescents (13-17 years old)
You can base your dissertation report on various research on cyberbullying published in Australian scholarly journals.
- Parental abuse and its influence on serial killer’s perception of victims
Discuss interconnections between abuse and potential sadistic behavior.
- The history of forensic interviewing in the USA
Present research and practices that developed it.
The following topics in geography will ensure your dissertation defense is excellent. They are all based on issues and themes that both relevant and highly relatable to modern-day geographical research. Also, consider using help from our writing service.
- Species that became extinct in the 20th century: qualitative research
Address the human influence on various species.
- Current issues in the exploration of Arctic
Discuss difficulties and specifics of such explorations.
- A comparison of urban back gardens in the USA and the UK
You can compare their design and other features (for example, vegetation used for decoration).
- Labor markets in China: an in-depth analysis
Analyze conditions in Chinese labor markets and their peculiarities.
- The causes and outcomes of flooding in the USA in the 2010s
Address climate change as one of the leading causes.
- Prevention of ecosystem changes with modern technology
Provide various examples of how technology is used to sustain ecosystems.
- Changes in holidays destinations in the 2000s: a comparison of the USA and Canada
Demonstrate what changes in preferences were documented in these countries, what destinations were more or less popular.
- The perception of environmentally friendly technologies and their impact on the environment by citizens of large metropolitan areas: a case study of Miami
Explain how various projects based on environmentally friendly technologies are launched in Miami.
- A negative impact of global warming on weather conditions in Iceland
Discuss how tourism in Iceland is affected by these changes.
- The influence of industrialization on climate change
Address the causes of climate change, using industrialization and its consequences as a basis.
Sociology can often rely on qualitative research. To pick the best idea for your sociology dissertation, browse the topics suggested below. Furthermore, you can use the list of free books available online to consider what your research can focus on.
- Single parent stigma and its influence on family’s quality of life and parent-child relationships
Present examples from recent research that illustrate how the dynamics of these relationships change over time due to stigma.
- Women empowerment in Saudi Arabia in 2000s: breakthroughs and challenges
Discuss how this empowerment affected legislation and women’s rights.
- Long-term alcohol addiction and self-perception in young adults
With the help of research, demonstrate whether self-perception of these adults transforms significantly due to their addiction.
- Adoption and its influence on parent-child relationships
Present and discuss challenges that such families face.
- Comparison of traditions related to family dinners in the USA and the UK
What specific differences are there and how can they be explained?
- Influence of the emo culture on suicide rates in high school students
Address the influence of such cultures on adolescents’ behavior.
- The rates of secularization in elderly individuals living in urban and rural areas
Compare the rates and explain why they are different.
- Influence of forced outing on transgendered individuals and concomitant changes in their quality of life
Explain how forced outing affects these people and whether this impact is dangerous.
- Comparison of anti-nuclear movements in Germany and Japan in the 21st century
Explain in detail what differences and similarities are prominent.
- Performance rates of teenagers in schools in low-income neighborhoods: a case study of Boston schools
When writing your dissertation proposal, consider various factors (poverty, limited access to technology, etc.) that affect performance rates of these teenagers.
Writing a rationale for your management dissertation? Look at these management topics to provide an excellent dissertation project proposal!
- Ecotourism in Canada: issues and trends in small business
Explain issues that arise in ecotourism with climate change.
- Management ethics: how social media affects employees’ privacy and organizational climate
Present examples of negative and positive influence.
- Leadership styles: a comparison of democratic and autocratic leadership
Discuss what leadership style should be chosen to rule various companies, depending on their business plan.
- Political risk and its influence on emergency management
Explain how political crises affect and shape emergency management.
- Cultural diversity and its impact on employees’ satisfaction and commitment
Show what advantages and disadvantages there are in cultural diversity.
- Economic growth and unemployment rates in Australia during the 1990s: a historical perspective
Explain the causes of growth and unemployment.
- Challenges in human resources management working with millennials: qualitative research
Discuss what particular challenges HR managers face and how they can be addressed.
- The significance of organizational routines in international corporations: a case study of Google
Conduct research on the importance of routine and its impact on performance.
- Computer skills and management: the effectiveness of computerized management information system in rural areas
Describe how digital management can be effectively applied in companies working in rural areas.
- The history of digital rights management in the USA
Present the changes in the field during the 1990s-2010s.
If you need to provide a dissertation proposal based on behavioral research, therapy research, or research in organizational behavior, consider using these topics. Don’t forget to browse the list of research topics for more ideas.
- A comparison of teaching techniques that targeted children with autism in the 20th and 21st century
Provide a detailed overview of techniques and explain how research affected them.
- The development of cognitive-behavioral therapy and its effectiveness in patients with eating disorders
Present the history of CBT and use recent research to demonstrate its effectiveness.
- Ageism and sexism in international organizations of the fashion industry
Describe how the fashion industry defines what it means to be "young and beautiful."
- Addressing sexual harassment at the workplace: the influence of organizational policies on targets’ decision to file a complaint
Explain what policies can support the target and what can prevent such decision.
- Strategies to eliminate bias in self-evaluation reports of employees
Using research in HRM, outline the best strategies that are currently used to avoid bias.
- Post-cancer therapy: issues and trends
Present and discuss various trends, the research behind them, and the effectiveness of different types of therapy.
- A family history of abuse and its influence on drug use in adults
Explain how abuse can provoke addiction in the future.
- The importance of trustful doctor-patient relationships on patient’s medication adherence and management of a healthy lifestyle
Describe how such relationships negatively or positively affect patient’s decision to take medicine as prescribed.
- Barriers to the acquisition of social support among young male and female veterans in the USA
Discuss mental and physical disorders as major barriers.
- Single mothers' perceptions of breastfeeding in public places: qualitative research
Conduct interviews to find out their opinion.
For help when it comes to writing your dissertation check out these incredible resources for free dissertation writing help, how to write a dissertation, and how to manage dissertation problems. You can also check out this video.