Looking for a good argumentative essay topic? In need of a persuasive idea for a research paper? You’ve found the right page!
Our specialists will write a custom essay on any topic for $13.00 $10.40/page
Academic writing is never easy, whether it is for middle school or college. That’s why there are numerous educational materials on composing an argumentative and persuasive essay, for example. Here, at Custom Writing, we have collected tips and ideas for this type of paper to help you out. Regardless of your grade or year, you’ll find argumentative and persuasive writing topics.
Check out the full list of free argumentative & persuasive essay topics below.
🔝 Top 10 Argumentative & Persuasive Essay Topics
- Is human cloning immoral?
- Is it ethical to keep pets outside?
- Is euthanasia economically beneficial?
- Can animal hunting be justified?
- Prescription glasses should be free
- Should college be more accessible?
- Cybersport shouldn’t be considered a real sport
- Advertising targeted at children should be banned
- Should immigrants be deported in case of civil disobedience?
- Why cyberbullying is more harmful than traditional bullying
✍️ Persuasive vs. Argumentative Essay Topics
These two genres of an essay are often mistakenly used as synonyms. However, the difference between them is distinct and should be taken into account, depending on the assignment or your purpose.
A persuasive essay gives you a chance to defend your opinion, even if it is an emotional conviction. The aim is to express your point of view as the only correct option, regardless of the possible variants. Your speech can be emotional, yet supported by facts and proper explanation. One opposing point could be discussed, but you should decidedly refute it.
An argumentative essay is a more “polite” way to substantiate your thoughts. No emotions are relevant here. You are supposed to state your opinion and provide logical argumentation. Clear facts and evidence are a must. Then you shall dwell upon the possible controversies and opposing viewpoints. Your speech should sound tactful but reasonable and justified. As a rule, an in-depth research is required to make your point grounded.
Usually topics that are good for a persuasive essay would be perfect for an argumentative one as well. Only the methods of your expression should differ.
👌 Good Argumentative Essay Topics
Controversial issues are lying in wait for our attention in every aspect of our mental and physical lives. How can one tell that a topic is suitable for an argumentative essay? It can be a subject of an ardent quarrel. It shall be highly debatable, and the more possible points of view you can find, the better.
🎓 Argumentative Essay Topics on Education
- Would our world be a better place if college education was obligatory for all? Does the lack of education implicitly cause public conflicts? Should tuition fees be decreased, making higher education a norm rather than a luxury?
- Promotion night is too expensive to be a tradition. There have been classes that donated money saved for the prom for charity. Is all the preparation worth the effort? Could there be other ways of celebrating the end of the studies?
- If engineering students paid less for college than philologists, would more students opt for the former? Are theoretical specialists less important for society? What about other faculties: which do you consider a priority?
- Should the school day be prolonged?
- It is a must for parents to control their children’s marks.
- Parent-teacher meetings are ineffective as parents of the children who need attention the most never attend them.
- Bullying is a severe problem for middle school because teenagers are the most prone to it.
- Should pupils choose their specialization long before college?
- Creativity should be rewarded in studies more than it is now.
- Modern technologies have made cheating easy.
- Summer holidays are unreasonably too long.
- Does physical training improve academic progress?
- Sports and arts are a waste of time for high school students.
🏈 Argumentative Essay Topics on Sports
- Men’s sports are more aggressive than women’s. Discuss American football, soccer, and basketball, as well as other sports equally represented by both genders. Is the lack of aggressiveness make women’s sports less interesting for the spectators?
- Performance-enhancing drugs could give us new records. Despite their social stigma, regulated use could be efficient for professional athletes. Some records are unsurpassable without dope. What could be its effects on health?
- Why do some countries legally forbid betting on sports? It could draw more interest and investments into championships and competitions. Why is sports gambling considered as a negative practice?
- Not every famous athlete can be a professional coach.
- If American football is a high-injury sport, why is it so popular in schools and colleges?
- The Olympics pose too much burden on the host country.
- It is better to practice a specific kind of sport than attend PT lessons at school.
- Sports competitions are so popular only thanks to their sponsors.
- A career in professional sport is too short to be worth the hassle.
- New technologies will spur the creation of new kinds of sports.
- Colleges spend too much money on sports, which could have a better application.
- If a person leaves professional sports, it can destroy their health.
🔬 Argumentative Essay Topics on Science & Technology
- Soon, computers will disappear because everything that surrounds us will be a computer. Walls, tables, chairs, beds, and even road pavement will be digitized. Will our lives become more relaxed, or will technologies make it more stressful?
- Will smartphones ever become a part of the educational process? Many primary schools forbid the kids to bring their phones in class. Gadgets are considered a source of distraction. Is it going to change?
- Will robots steal jobs from people? Some futurologists fear that technologies will dominate low-intellectual jobs. People will do only the work that requires creativity and a certain human factor. Will the cheap workforce become cheaper or be eliminated? Will people become more educated to find employment?
- The time that should have been saved by technologies is wasted on their operation. There are so many gadgets and equipment in our life that we spend many hours looking after them. Is the Internet the biggest thief of time?
- Video surveillance is everywhere. Does it violate the rights of privacy?
- Books VS tablets: will the former survive against the latter?
- At what age should children start having their smartphones?
- Online studies are for the poor.
- Is television becoming a thing of the past?
- The educational potential of video games is unexplored yet.
- In a decade or two, paper documents will become souvenirs of the past.
- Cars with autopilot technology are more dangerous than traditional ones.
- Will technologies ever make wars pointless?
🔥 Other Argumentative Essay Topics
- Should animals be used for scientific and medical research?
- Do we need privately run prisons?
- Should death penalty be mandatory for all murderers, or should they spend the rest of their life in prison?
- Do we have the right to exhume bodies of prominent people and move them from one place to another?
- Should Russians finally bury Lenin?
- Better naked, than in furs? Where’s the line in protecting the animal rights?
- Was Saddam Hussein’s execution an essential point in establishing democracy in Iraq?
- Should men be allowed to have more than one wife?
- Plastic surgery: a way to promote beauty or destroy it?
- In some Asian countries cutting off a thief’s right hand is still commonly practiced. Do you think this is the best way out?
- Talk about any major issue (abortion, Iraq, Afghanistan, marijuana legalization, etc.).
- Say why talking about major issues (abortion, Iraq, Afghanistan, marijuana legalization, etc.) all the time not only lessens their importance, but even evokes irritation.
- How atheists and religious people should exercise tolerance with each other because it is a right?
- Was the “sex, drugs, and rock’n’roll” era significant, or not?
- Prove that free bagels with sour cream stimulate brain activity.
- A maniac killed 15 little girls and was sentenced to death. One of the local TV stations was asked by the parents of victims to show his execution. The channel gave its agreement, but the transmission was later cancelled. Give your opinion on this situation.
- Vegetarians vs. meat eaters. Whose side are you on? Support your argument.
- Why talking about sex is okay, but talking about cheating is embarrassing?
- Do you agree that there is art for the masses, and elite culture? How do you feel about being among “the masses”? Or do you consider yourself to be a part of the “elites” in this regard?
- If you do not belong among “the masses”, what do you think about The Black Square by Kazimir Malevich?
- Is it appropriate to replace meeting in real life by online dating? Social media provides this option for everyone so that it is easy to send a message and do nothing more.
- Should immigrants be given a full range of rights likewise the citizens of a particular country? The processes of globalization make people move and seek for a better life, thus making the problem of immigrants’ rights essential.
- It is not a secret that the majority of crimes concerning children happen at night. Should we introduce a curfew with regards to minors?
- Do you believe that a man and a woman can be best friends without being lovers? Keep in mind that in this case, both of them are heterosexual.
- Convince your readers that cross-cultural marriages promote racial tolerance. Provide the examples of media or your own experience.
- Among good topics to write about, there is the role of lifelong learning in career development. Clarify whether such learning benefits employees or not.
- Come up with vivid arguments to demonstrate that women tend to commit less crime rather than men.
- Single-parent children have fewer chances to avoid doing crimes. What are the main behavioral changes that distinguish them from children with both parents?
- Homeschooling leads to isolation and further depression. Give your opinion on this situation.
- Do you agree that financial rewards and employee loyalty theme is appropriate for college essay topics?
- Is it ethical to legalize euthanasia regarding a patient and his or her family and friends?
- There is no good and no evil. Every action may be considered good or bad depending on a situation and the accompanying factors.
- Reveal your attitudes regarding happiness and selfishness. Can selfish people be happy? Provide fresh examples.
- Music and art proved to be beneficial for prisoners. Should we use them as a means to treat recidivists and serial killers?
- Discuss your perceptions of domestic violence. Ponder over the notion, the process, and the consequences of this issue. Identify your position and state whether you reject or accept domestic violence based on good arguments.
- Illegal immigrants are one of the leading problems in many countries. Should they be judged in their own country or in the one they unlawfully worked?
- Prove that the global political process is fair (and vice versa). Nowadays politics cause plenty of controversies, and it is vital for everyone to have a strong position.
- Do you believe that sex education is a proper way to address teenage pregnancy? Taking into account that sex education becomes quite widespread, can it eliminate the cases of early pregnancy in teenagers?
- Should parents be obliged to give their permission to their teenage children to buy contraceptives?
- Explain why people should preserve old buildings and monuments, especially those located in small towns and rural areas? This persuasive essay may link to the initiatives of UNESCO.
- Among the good topics to write about, it is possible to note the impact of violent video games. Prove that they cause the reduced compassion to victims and may lead to misconduct in real life.
- Do you think that the closed nature of North Korea presents threats to the global society? Focus on the recent events and tendencies occurring worldwide.
- Revolution on Euromaidan. Should Ukraine reconcile with the annexation of Crimea by Russia or not?
- Finstagram and Rinstagram are becoming more and more popular among teenagers. Should they use social media to hide their lives from parents?
- Many people believe that media affects the image of a female body negatively. Is it correct or not?
- In your argumentative paper, provide some points that illustrate the fact that Congress members are to have term limits.
- Consider the situation with marijuana that legalized in some states. Do you believe that it would increase drug addiction or not?
- Passive smoking effects are quite harmful to a human body to say nothing about annoyance when someone smokes near you. Prove that smoking should be banned in public places.
- Should the law prohibit the use of mobile phones while driving a car? On the one hand, many accidents occur because of a driver’s inattentiveness. On the other hand, cell phones may be quite helpful while finding a required location or calling to a husband and asking about children.
- Is it critical to include calories in a menu for restaurants, or it is relevant only for those who are on a diet?
- The introduction of pre-employment drug tests is likely to violate an individual’s rights to privacy. Agree or disagree.
- Do you believe that cameras located in public places should be regarded as privacy violation?
- Our media and social networks are full of news about celebrities. Is it appropriate to pay so much attention to their lives instead of focusing on social issues and a common good?
- Prove that media promotes unrealistic views in teenagers. Affected by media reports and propaganda, they are likely to be led by marketing strategies and buy every product they see.
- Should parents control the use of the Internet by their child? Is it morally acceptable and legally correct?
- Prove the contracting nature of the contemporary Chinese economy on the rest of the world. Things to argue about are the global market and industries.
- The rights of homosexual couples are still not thoroughly followed in many countries and states. Should same-sex marriages be legalized across the world?
- Students are partially responsible for their grades. Should teachers be blamed for students’ low test scores?
- Churches have to pay taxes. As a part of a state, they should be involved in a taxation system and support the budget. Provide your opinion.
- The rapid technology development is dangerous to people, and robots may seize control over the planet. Agree or disagree.
🤩 Great Persuasive Essay Topics
Looking for good persuasive speech topics, think well about your values and mindset. If you are definitely sure in such or another statement, this will be the best topic for a persuasive essay. Usually, these topics are about social issues, because persuasive essay includes the emotional side of your conviction.
🧑🤝🧑 Persuasive Essay Topics on Gender
- Is the difference between men and women dictated by cultural or physiological reasons? Is masculine physical strength so important when we are thinking about the current needs of humanity? Then why do the patriarchal views still reside in our heads?
- Are boys’ feeling less intense or deep than girls’ ones? Do we educate boys to understand and show fewer emotions? Or is it their inherent trait?
- Is gender equality achievable? Is the current state of affairs caused by a lack of effort in this direction? Which means are the most efficient in providing equal rights for all? Is the advanced society already aware of the problem existing between the genders?
- A victim of sexual abuse should not be blamed for weak resistance.
- Gender-neutral education should be promoted at primary schools.
- Sexist advertisement objectifies women.
- Are gender roles being blurred in the course of world history?
- Women also contribute to misogyny.
- Men are irrationally afraid of feminism postulates.
- Should domestic chores be paid in order to defeat gender inequality?
- Why is feminism stigmatized?
- Would a baby be equally happy with his mother or father in a maternity/paternity leave?
- The conflict between work and home is inevitable for women.
- What would our society look like without gender roles?
📺 Persuasive Essay Topics on Media & Arts
- Television promotes gender stereotypes, although less than a decade ago. Advertisements of domestic appliances show women doing housework and raising children, while men advertise luxury cars and large-scale business.
- The media are talking too much about political issues. Thus the media are making these matters more important for ordinary people than they really are. There are more important things to discuss than politics.
- Today the principal value of art resides in its meaning. Previously the meaning was less critical, but the form was in focus. Lack of attention to form makes some of the modern art “ugly” and appalling.
- Art is growing to be digital. Nobody will use paints and brushes soon.
- Art turned out to be very important during the quarantine lockout.
- Globalization has eliminated regional trends in art.
- Does art reflect the world or create new worlds?
- Do you think pop art was influential in American culture?
- The purpose of the news is to be objective.
- Any photo can be edited, so it is not 100% evidence anymore.
- Ancient art was too photographic.
- Every educated person should be able to keep the conversation about arts.
🧭 Persuasive Essay Topics on Morality Questions
- Our beloved ones need their personal space. What does personal space comprise? If one partner controls the expenses and the time out of the house of the other, is it a violation of the rule?
- Can happiness coexist with poverty? Is there a line below which happiness is impossible? What are the basic needs of a person to be happy?
- A compromise means that both opponents will not get what they want. Which aspects of life require agreements? What are your feelings about the need to trade-off? Is it a good trait of character to be ready for a compromise?
- It is unfair to consider egoism as a lousy feature of the character. Think of situations where moderate egoism could show a positive outcome. If everyone thought of their own profit, would the economy benefit from it?
- It is better to have bad parents for a child than to be an orphan.
- Parents should not read the diaries of their children.
- Our mind is irrational, and our thoughts have no structure.
- Are sexual relationships possible between friends?
- Are all people unique, or are they basically the same?
- Abuse of power is inadmissible even if good aims are pursued.
- Should you intervene if parents are poorly treating their child in a public place?
- Obscene words bear negative energy, which is transferred from the speaker to the listener.
- We should make love words rarer to make them trustworthy.
- Diligence without talent is a waste of time.
👍 Other Persuasive Essay Topics
- Do you want to have a cosmetic surgery? Why or why not?
- Is it important to talk openly about the contraception?
- Which country has the prettiest girls?
- Prove that blondes are actually smart.
- Do you agree that the international image of the USA has been negatively affected by numerous wars?
- There is an opinion that Daewoos are not cars at all. Are they?
- What do you think about gay marriage?
- Why driving is permitted from the age of 16, shooting in porn movies from the age of 18 and gambling from the age of 21? Is this right?
- Is it helpful to be skeptical towards anything?
- What do you think about the negative public opinion on thongs and bra straps?
- You’ve got to be kidding! You’ve gotten this far and you still haven’t found the argument essay topic that’s right for you? You’re a real topic enthusiast!
- Your friend is concerned about her grades. Even though they are good, she still stays awake for half of the night getting the assignments and extra credit work ready. Convince your friend that wearing herself out is not the best idea.
- When you moved to this town, it was relatively small. Now that it’s expanding, your parents consider moving to a calmer place. You, however, have friends here that you don’t want to leave. Talk to your parents about the necessity of staying.
- A friend of yours, a skinny girl, thinks that she needs to lose a few pounds. Tell her why losing more weight will only damage her health.
- Your friend is failing his finals. If he doesn’t pass, he’ll be expelled from the university. His studies mean a lot to him, but he’s feeling depressed and doesn’t want to do anything. Renew his faith into himself by persuading him/her to study.
- As a result of political instabilities, a local political organization reacts severely to federal government activity. It plans to throw an act of protest. You know that this endeavor might be dangerous. Your friend, however, is inspired and wants to join. Tell him about possible consequences of getting into an organization or movement that is not trustworthy or highly radical.
- Your mom is not happy with an outfit or makeup that you are wearing for a school dance. Try to calm her down.
- You think that school uniform destroys your individuality. Write a persuasive letter to your principal.
- You are tired of news on TV. They all tell you about the number of victims in the Middle East. Tell why it is unethical for journalists to make money on deaths and war.
- Cheating and lying can sometimes be helpful. Convince your readers by giving bright examples.
- Convince your parents to buy you something.
- Your friends want to go dancing; however, all week you’ve been thinking about bowling. Try to persuade them to go to a bowling club instead.
- You share a room with your younger sister. She has put a poster of Justin Bieber onto the wall, and now you feel like an absolutely humiliated person. Tell her why this poster has to be taken off.
- Take any common fallacy (like the one that wolves attack people all the time), and prove why it is wrong.
- You have your own point of view on marriage and family. Convince your readers why it is correct.
- You want to go study abroad, and there are a number of reasons why you should take someone with you. Persuade a friend of yours to go study abroad with you.
- Your little sister doesn’t want to help you and your Mom around the house. Give her reasons why she has to do it.
- The book you’ve just finished is absolutely fantastic. Explain to your family member/friend why it is so good. Try to persuade him/her to read it, too.
- A history teacher thinks that showing the movie Pearl Harbor will be sufficient to cover the material on World War II. Prove that you are eager to know more than this, and explain why it’s important to learn the lessons of the past.
- Tell why it is important to know more than one foreign language.
- Imagine that you are a person directing TV shows and monitoring them. Do you have the responsibility to be more diverse than earlier? Should you include people of different ages, races, and gender in your TV shows to ensure diversity awareness in the viewers?
- You are a parent of two teenage daughters who seem to be hiding something from you. The laptop of one of them has no password, and you can easily access it when all family members are out of the home. Would you view her messages to understand her secrets?
- As a homosexual person with the permanent partner, you want to adopt a child. The challenges encountered by you are overwhelming and discriminating. Provide arguments showing that same-sex couples should have the same procedure of fostering a child as traditional families.
- After playing six hours in a row in a famous video game, you feel aggressiveness and a desire to quarrel with somebody. List arguments to prove some negative impact of such games that, probably, depends on the time spent playing.
- Your sister is a vegetarian, and she promotes the same eating habits in her 4-year-old son since his birth. You see that the boy is dystrophic and passive compared to his peers. Convince your sister that there is a need to visit a nutritionist and change the child’s eating patterns.
- The preparation of a survival plan to an emergency situation is a must-have. Harvey and Irma showed that every family should have a survival plan.
- Religious freedom is a myth. It is impossible to ensure that everyone is free in choosing religion.
- In your debate essay, prove that lesbian mothers and gay fathers do not promote deviant behaviors in their children.
- Think about the arguments that you can state in favor of a mandatory certification of the future parents. Special courses are to be completed before becoming parents to have a clear vision of how to care for a child.
- There is a need to prohibit biological and nuclear weapons to protect the world from irreversible damage to people and environment.
📓 Argumentative & Persuasive Essays: Writing Tips
🗺️ Planning the Essay
- What is your opinion? Decide which side of the problem you would like to adhere to and why. It is important to be confident in your opinion as your purpose will be reassuring your readers.
- Who will read your essay? Knowing your reader is half of the success. Think of what their opinion on the problem could be. Would they agree with you or not?
- Research is essential. Be it an argumentative or persuasive essay, only facts and evidence will help you speak convincingly.
- Choose the format. What is expected from you: tactfulness and respect to the conflicting views (then it needs to be an argumentative essay), or assertiveness, and emotional speech (in this case, opt for a persuasive essay)?
📝 Writing the Essay
- Your opinion should sound expertly and confidently.
- Hooks in the introduction part will help you catch the reader’s interest.
- Avoid vague statements without substantiation.
- The conclusion is your last word to convince the reader. Restate your opinion, recalling your principal argument.
🗓️ Outline Example for a Persuasive Essay
- Grab the reader’s attention with a hook. What is the most exciting thing about your topic?
- Give background information about the topic. What will help the reader understand your argument better?
- State the conflict in a short but meaningful phrase. Use an informative speech thesis statement generator to come up with a concise and informative piece.
The Main Part
- Dedicate the first paragraph to the most persuasive argument in favor of your opinion. If applicable, give one counter-argument and immediately discredit it.
- In the second paragraph, describe all the other relevant arguments. Keep your speech coherent and concise.
- In an argumentative essay, the third paragraph shall be dedicated to the opposing point of view. Why does it have the right to exist, and why don’t you agree with it? In a persuasive essay, the third paragraph is more like the first two, where you are supposed to argue your opinion.
Give the essence of your discourse here. The conclusion is your last chance to convince the reader. Find the most powerful words to summarize your arguments. You can finish your piece of writing, highlighting the importance of your point of view and the topic in general.
You might also be interested in:
Receive a plagiarism-free paper tailored to your instructions.Cut 20% off your first order!
🤔 Argumentative & Persuasive Essay FAQ
An argumentative essay is an academic paper discussing a highly controversial issue from two or more points of view. The author should adhere to one of the possible opinions as a result of such a discussion.
Any debatable problem could be a good topic. Here are some examples:
- Global heating
- Genetic engineering
- Technology VS humanity
- Thoughtful parenting
- World leadership
A persuasive essay shall show your emotional opinion about a problem. Therefore, a good persuasive essay topic needs to raise issues of morality, politics, sociology, or any other aspect of life that raises a strong emotional response.
- Write down and argument outline: why is your question debatable? It will be your introduction.
- Select the opinion you support. It will be your first paragraph.
- Give one or several opposing views in the second paragraph.
- Sum it up, stating your opinion once again.
Thank you. This will help.
Thank you, Summer 🙂
Much appreciated for your kind words, Carroll 🙂
You are welcome
And here is one more post about argumentative papers: 30 Best Argumentative Research Paper Topics
You’re totally right, Oliver! Thank you for the help.
Like it. 🙂
Happy to hear it 🙂
These ideas are helpful, but I can’t do any of these because they are a little too inappropriate. 🙁
True, I’m looking for one for my school project, and none of this can work for me.
Could you tell us more about your school project? Perhaps we can help 🙂
Thanks for the feedback, Kass! But why do you think the ideas are inappropriate?
It’s totally helpful and the ideas are quite amazing. Thanks!
Thanks for your kind words, Shane! Glad you liked them. Come back for more 🙂
This website has many persuasive topics that I would’ve never thought of; it helped me a lot!
Thanks for such kind words!