Developing healthcare, engineering, and IT is undoubtedly useful. However, the professionals in these areas do not grow on their own. The education system is the birthplace of all the genius scientists who make the change in our world.
Now, it is quite apparent why improving the education system is so important. But how do we do this? One of the things that contribute to the development is doing education research. Its purpose is to improve the efficiency of the education system by correcting the existing methods and creating new approaches.
This article contains 180 best research topics on education and child development that Custom-writing.org experts have prepared for you. Find the perfect idea here, or formulate your own topic based on one of those on the list.
👓 How to Choose an Education Research Topic?
If you have decided to start working on an educational research, you can definitely benefit from the following list of tips on how to choose a topic. It is the first writing step on your way to the successful paper.
- Review your previous works. Take a look at the essays and research projects you finished earlier. You may have mentioned an issue there that would be worth a more detailed examination.
- Stay informed about the latest updates in education. You might find some government reports saying about their plan of action. It is an excellent source of the most relevant topics that need to be developed in the nearest future.
- “Go out into the field.” If you don’t work in the area of education, it can be beneficial to visit some schools and colleges. Seeing how all the methods are applied in real life gives some food for thought.
- Dig into literature. You might as well get inspired by reading some acknowledged authors’ works.
- Check out international practices. Don’t be afraid to go out of the limits of the national education system. There are thousands of new approaches applied in different areas of education.
Try at least one of the suggested tips if you feel stuck. Be creative while working on your paper! Use our great collection of funny quotes about education. And keep in mind that we’ve also prepared some speech and research proposal ideas on education.
🎓 Education Research Topics List
We made a list of educational research topics to make your life easier and save your time! There are 113 great ideas about which way you can start moving:
- Early childhood education: learning through play. We already discussed the importance of education in the development of our society. You see, the personality and mindset of a person are developed in the first years of their lives. Early childhood education is the foundation for the rest of the child’s life.
- Evaluation of the ability grouping method effectiveness. Ability grouping is creating groups of pupils with the same abilities, unlike the more popular age grouping strategy. However, there might be some challenges. For instance, the group should be rearranged if one child starts developing faster. You can research its effectiveness.
- How does the blended learning approach affect students’ performance? Blended learning has been getting more and more popular recently. It is a modern learning approach that combines traditional classes with online materials. It requires strong management skills from students but gives more opportunities in the age of technologies.
- Growing classes: do learning outcomes suffer from it? It looks like there are fewer and fewer professionals willing to teach at schools. But the demand is growing, which results in bigger classes. Teachers can’t possibly split and attend to each and every student with the same level of individual approach. So how does it affect students’ performance?
- The trends in computer literacy. Nowadays, no one is surprised by a toddler using a tablet or a smartphone without any trouble. Technologies are also incorporated into the learning process. You may write on it with an argumentative approach or see what trends there are and compare them.
- How to recognize which learning style a student needs? There are four learning styles based on different ways students perceive information. For some, it is easier to visualize information; for others, it is all about reading. Look into how schools apply this knowledge, how the best teachers find individual approaches with the help of learning styles.
- Should all teachers receive merit pay? Let’s talk about finances now! Being a teacher is an essential but sometimes tough job. Most teachers overwork and don’t even have weekends. However, they would still receive a standard paycheck. Is it fair? Or should they be paid according to their performance?
- Standardized testing as a fair judging system. Standardized tests were created to evaluate the performance of the students in all the schools around the country. However, how effective are they? Are the quality of education and budgeting the same in all schools? Many aspects should be taken into consideration.
- From homeschooling to successful careers: an overview. There are many reasons why mothers would prefer homeschooling to public education. However, only one thing matters – its effectiveness. If you know anyone who was studying at home, take this chance to analyze how it affected their current life. It is one of the experimental research topics in education.
- How do children benefit from bilingual education? At the times of globalization, this question is undoubtedly relevant. There are more and more advocates for bilingual education. Studies have shown that kids who study in two or more languages have better cognitive abilities and overall academic achievement.
- Single-sex education vs. mixed-sex education. The division started to honor traditions and religion. You might think that it is in the past… But, today, there are still plenty of separate schools for boys and girls. There are many debates on this issue and an excellent chance to research it from the scientific point of view.
- Where is the line for parental involvement? It is easily one of the best education research topics. Maybe it is too biased for a thesis but could be excellent as a research paper for majors like psychology and communication. Parental involvement is undoubtedly essential, but is there a limit? Parents sometimes overdo it!
- Boarding schools: advantages & disadvantages. Sometimes parents send their kids to the boarding schools to get rid of them. But often they underestimate the stress that students go under there. Spending all their time on the school premises, even at the weekend. It can be psychologically exhausting.
- How should a proper sex education program look like? Let’s leave the Netflix show aside, though… In real life, it is much less dramatic. But just as important! In many schools, there is a lack of sex ed classes. And even if there are some, they don’t seem to be working… However, this topic is vital for youth health and is worth researching.
- Reforming the school schedule: the most efficient solution. This education research topic list would not be complete without this highlighting this issue. There is no way to satisfy all students’ needs regarding the schedule. But that is what compromises for! Maybe your research can become the next universal solution.
- How can career counseling support high school students? Career counseling might be a good investment for schools. Counselors analyze students’ unique abilities and skills based on the scores as well as their passions. It is also a great chance for students to evaluate their real prospects for a specific career path.
- The benefits of the flipped classroom approach. The flipped classroom approach is kinda a type of blended learning. Students are asked to learn the new material at home. When they get to school, they work through it with a teacher and create discussion groups. But does it really work?
- How does Race to the Top program affect students’ outcomes? Race to the Top is an initiative that helps to reform the education system by giving grants to states. It provides multiple opportunities, such as creating data systems and organizing training for teachers. However, it met a wave of criticism.
- The new solutions to prevent violence at schools. Education is good, but children can be mean to each other. Whenever kids get together, there are always fights. It is hard even dealing with and preventing sounds impossible. But you only need to study some cases of educational institutions in countries like Sweden.
- Why should teachers join teacher unions? Teacher unions are organizations that connect professionals who want to stand for their rights. It may be extremely beneficial if a teacher seeks legal advice. But is it the only advantage of joining the union? You can elaborate on this topic, which is relevant at all times.
- Adapted physical education vs. usual physical education
- Is busing still relevant, and should it be stopped?
- Charter schools vs. public schools: compare & contrast
- The inclusivity in charter schools
- Should collaborative learning be applied more in high school?
- Do Common Core State Standards succeed in preparing students for college?
- Why is computer-assisted instruction also necessary for non-IT students?
- The role of teachers and parents in the discipline: compare & contrast
- Should time management be taught in schools?
- Do dual enrollment programs put more pressure on high school students?
- DACA and DREAM act: compare & contrast
- Can Kalamazoo Promise initiative be applied in other states?
- Using Gardner’s theory of multiple intelligences to create a new learning approach
- Where is the limit of self-improvement: the case of the No Child Left Behind Act?
- The effect of outcomes-based education on children’s mental health
- The benefits of peer-counseling
- The root causes of plagiarism in high school
- Are plagiarism and dishonesty in childhood connected?
- Should a school choice be a usual practice?
- The best school-to-career programs in the country: an overview
- Is there still a need for school-to-career programs?
- What is STEM lacking?
- STEAM vs. STEM: compare & contrast
- The ways of integrating technology into the classroom
- How to prevent students from being distracted by smartphones?
- Psychology of the high school: why do students become bullies?
- How to prevent cyberbullying among teenagers?
- Do virtual classrooms lack a personal connection between students and teachers?
- Will virtual classrooms substitute real-life classes in the future?
- Is the whole brain teaching method effective for college students?
- Uniforms: killing individuality or improving discipline?
- Does the zero-tolerance policy violate the law?
- The approaches to emotional development in early childhood education
- The correct ways to minimize plagiarism and cheating
- Social skills vs. general knowledge: what is more important in early childhood education?
- A school without homework: a case study
- Public vs. private schools: what affects academic achievement?
- College entrance exams in the US and China: the competitiveness
- An information overload: what are high school students’ limits?
- Multicultural education: how does it promote a positive attitude?
🚌 Special Education Research Topics & Ideas
Special education makes it possible for students with special needs to receive all the individual support they require. There are plenty of interesting special education research topics you can choose from:
- Practical approaches to teaching students with an auditory processing disorder. The percentage of children diagnosed with an auditory processing disorder (APD) is rising. Despite the difficulty in diagnosing, there is believed to be at least 5% of students having this learning disorder. It doesn’t affect the hearing itself but makes it hard for children to process what they hear.
- Music therapy for children on the autism spectrum: what instruments are the most effective? Children on the autism spectrum find it difficult to interact socially. Some studies show that music therapy helps them become more flexible and responsive. In turn, it promotes the development of their social skills. For example, the didgeridoo playing showed significant results.
- Karaoke as a way to help children with learning disorders. Kids with learning disabilities need special care. It is one of the research paper topics on education which can bring a brilliant solution! It has been shown that children with learning disorders did much better in reading tests after doing karaoke-based exercises.
- How does peer support help children with disabilities socialize in the classroom? We have already mentioned a topic related to peer review, which is quite a good one for the thesis. Here, you can study how peers can help their classmates with special needs. It is especially relevant for schools with inclusivity policies.
- Cooperative learning & students with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Cooperative learning is vital in early childhood. Most schools choose this approach because of its apparent benefits. However, kids with ADHD might see it as a real challenge. Look into the best ways to engage them in cooperative learning activities without harm.
- Social skills: the best time for children with EBD to learn them. It is one of the research topics in social studies education. Secondary school becomes a tough period for students with emotional and behavioral disorders. It is the time when social skills training is as relevant for them as never before. However, what is the best time to start SST?
- How to develop self-determination in children with disabilities? Self-determination is one of the most vital components of growing up. Every independent human being needs to have it developed. But what about children with special needs? Since they rely heavily on support, it is the educators’ responsibility to help them build self-determination.
- What are the negative sides of the response to intervention approach? Response to intervention is not a new method. However, it has appeared to be controversial. It not only focuses on children with special needs but on every student who struggles to achieve a specific level. Some evaluations show its ineffectiveness, though.
- Inclusive classes vs. special education. It is one of the most relevant child development research paper topics. Special education classes were created out of fear that students with learning disabilities cannot reach the same level of academic achievement in usual courses. However, it seems that the performance is the same in both approaches.
- How does grade retention affect children with learning disabilities? Even frequent testing can be a stress for any student. How do children with learning disorders feel then? What’s more, they are put under more pressure if they need to repeat the year? Therefore, some particular approaches need to be applied to prevent it.
- Why should students with learning disabilities be included in the Adequate Yearly Progress evaluation?
- Is a foreign language learning disability a real thing?
- Are students more engaged in self-directed IEP classes?
- Zero-tolerance policy & students with special needs
- How effective is the Reading Recovery program?
- Early intervention & students with hearing disabilities
- Inclusive classes & bullying prevention
- Technology integration for children with learning disabilities
- Blended learning & children on the autism spectrum: pros and cons
- Special education & trauma-informed learning
- Should twice-exceptional students still get a special education approach?
- What are the causes of disproportionality in special education?
- Self-monitoring & students with learning disabilities
- How does virtual reality help students with autism adapt to stressful real-life situations?
- Homeschooling children with learning disorders
- How to prevent special education teachers from burnouts?
- Co-teaching & special education
- Is full inclusion a good idea?
- Student-led planning to promote independence in special education
- Early detection & learning disabilities
👶 Child Development Research Topics & Ideas
Child development is a vast area since it covers both the physical and mental development of a child from birth to adulthood. Below you can find 30 child development research topics suitable for your project or even a dissertation!
- Mother-child connection: how does stress affect a child’s wellbeing? Everyone knows about the mother-child connection, but not many know how deep it is. During pregnancy, a woman can get into a stressful situation. It may cause chemical reactions in the brain of a child, which, in turn, affects its future health.
- What role do genes play in child development? Some of us are used to blaming genes for one thing or another. However, it appears that the environment in which we grow up is much more critical. You can debate on how a child’s environment cases chemical modifications in genes.
- How does living in a community affect child development? Of course, parents are the primary caregivers for small children. On the other hand, there are advocates for shared responsibilities. In communities, kids interact mostly with close neighbors. A child is open to more experience this way. Elaborate on this topic.
- Child development: does it slow down after the third birthday? It is true that in the first three years of life, children develop the most basic brain functions very actively. However, it doesn’t mean that after that they can’t learn anything new! So what areas of the brain stop active development after the child’s third birthday, if any?
- How is neglecting and ignoring your child worse than physical punishment? Physical violence against children is addressed as one of the main issues in child development. Undoubtedly, it has incredibly adverse effects on a child’s mental health. However, neglect is often omitted. It may cause severe disruptions in the healthy social life and development of a child.
- Childhood trauma & happy life. Children who faced violence or any other unpleasant experience have a higher risk of developing stress-related disorders. On the other hand, it is not a rule. If a child gets sufficient support as soon as possible, traumas may just become a neutral life experience for them.
- What care should traumatized children be provided? It is not enough to just save a child from a traumatizing environment. They can still feel insecure even in safe and predictable surroundings. This situation would require more than one action. A child needs therapeutic care for sooner recovery.
- Child development: coping with troubles alone or in a team? Usually, parents try to teach their children to become more independent. Being brave and only relying on yourself is promoted as socially acceptable behavior. But scientists found out that it’s not individualism that helps to overcome obstacles but supportive relationships.
- Responsive relationships & child development. It appears that having a healthy relationship with parents in childhood is related to having good mental health. Parents should practice responsive relationships with their children. It promotes healthy brain development and resilience in kids. You can research this connection.
- Why should parents teach core life skills to their children? Children are capable of learning how to adapt to life on their own. But researchers highlight that parents can significantly help in this process by teaching core life skills to children. This scaffolding process helps kids learn, develop, and make healthy life choices.
- Why is reducing stress essential for child development?
- How does the process of building neural connections change with time?
- Why is it essential to respond to the child’s interaction actions?
- Child development: using the early plasticity at full
- How emotional health and social skills affect a child’s future career?
- Toxic stress & child development
- What effect does divorce cause in child development?
- Video games & child development: pros and cons
- What does single parenting mean for the development of a child?
- Can a child develop normally without a father’s love?
- Can food supplements help to develop a child’s cognitive abilities?
- Postpartum depression & child development
- Does verbal abuse have the same effect on a child as physical punishment?
- Should beauty pageants be banned as a threat to healthy child development?
- How soon should mothers end maternity leave?
- Child development in low-income families
- How does graphic violence in animations and movies affect child development?
- Child development & mother’s mental illness
- Is daycare right for child development?
- Child development: how do children adopt parents’ beliefs?
🤔 Education Research FAQs
Learn more on this topic: