The importance of health research can’t be underestimated. It helps move medicine forward and save millions of people. It also promotes various preventive techniques that help us live longer and safer lives.
Our specialists will write a custom essay on any topic for
Health research covers many different areas. The development of new drugs and treatments is only a small part of it. There is also plenty of research on the root causes and mechanisms of diseases so that we can understand them better. Preventive medicine is one of the frontiers of health research. It helps us avoid the risks of dangerous conditions.
Information-based research, personalized medicine, deep learning techniques, and more – all this makes health research exciting as well as valuable.
Stuck choosing your medical research topic? Take a look at the collection that Custom-writing.org experts have prepared! Find there your perfect idea or just get inspired and formulate your own research question.
🧑⚕️ Top 10 Research Topics for Medical Students
- What diseases cause hair loss?
- Can alcohol affect your bone marrow?
- Do tongue disorders affect speech?
- How to know if chest pain is serious
- What eye problems can diabetes cause?
- Complementary vs. alternative medicine
- Can diabetic nerve damage be reversed?
- Ethnic groups at risk for metabolic syndrome
- Are bleeding disorders a result of thrombocytopenia?
- Should flu vaccination be mandatory for health workers?
🔝 Top 10 Health Research Topics
- The benefits of telehealth
- The types of eating disorders
- How to stay healthy in college
- Ways to spot health fraud
- Classification of occupational diseases
- The ways to prevent sports injuries
- How to use medical devices safely
- How long can a mental disorder last?
- How much exercise do older adults need?
- What diseases can cause a lack of B vitamins?
💡 Medical Research Topics & Ideas
Here’s the list with some topic examples for a medical research paper:
⚛️ Genetics Research Topics
- Or you can choose the topic of malpractice in clinical genetic research: an overview. In recent years, genetic predisposition tests are becoming increasingly popular. Yet, this leaves room for mistakes and other types of malpractice.
- Another interesting genetics research topic is reverse genetics in vaccine creation. It is essential to produce new vaccines even for such viruses as influenza because of its constant mutation. Reverse genetics allow us to do that.
- Possible therapies for GNE myopathy are still mostly under-researched. This genetic disorder leads to progressive muscle atrophy, and it often remains undiagnosed. See what can be used as a possible treatment.
- Similarly, you can make your contribution to finding the genes responsible for juvenile idiopathic arthritis. While the causes of the disease remain unknown, they are expected to be both genetic and environmental.
- The role of screenings in gynecologic cancer prevention cannot be underestimated. It is essential to decreasing the mortality associated with this highly dangerous malignancy. You can study new effective methods of early diagnosis and preventative measures.
- Alternatively, you can choose to write about the genetics of drug addiction. That includes substance abuse, gambling, and other dangerous activities. The role of genetics in addiction development can tell us a lot about its prevention and treatment.
- Similarly, the study of genetic similarities between Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease can provide the necessary insight into the mechanisms of these two disorders.
- HIV: genetic factors is an excellent healthcare research topic for college students. Recent studies show that there’s a genetic difference in susceptibility to HIV infection. Further research can bring us closer to the development of the HIV cure.
- What are the ethical aspects of genetic research involving elderly persons?
- Genetic research in autism spectrum disorder: new trends
- Can predictive testing for various diseases be considered definitive?
- The use of brain imaging for early diagnosis of Parkinson’s disease
- Hereditary angioedema: genetic aspects
- Genetic study of cerebral palsy
- What are the genetics of angle-closure glaucoma?
- The use of whole-genome sequencing in epileptology
- Genomic technologies in research of children’s developmental disorders
- Tourette’s disorder: genetic factors
- What are the genes associated with allergic diseases?
- What is the molecular genetics of kidney disease?
- Coronary artery disease and its genetics
- Correlation between genetics and nutrition
- What is the role of genetics in personalized wellness?
🐣 Pediatric Research Topics
- Non-therapeutic use of ADHD medication in children and adolescents is a controversial topic among specialists. Many ADHD patients misuse their prescription drugs for various reasons that you can discuss in your paper.
- Another cutting-edge pediatric research topic is the effective management of type 1 diabetes in children. Factors such as family history may increase a child’s risk for diabetes. While it cannot be cured, it can be managed with the help of new technology.
- What are the peculiarities of movement disorders in children? That is an interesting question that you can write about in your paper. Movement disorders in children differ from those in adults. This includes such factors as etiology and clinical manifestations.
- One of the most critical pediatric research questions is how does secondhand smoking affect children? Secondhand smoke is hazardous for children. It can cause severe asthma attacks, various infections, and even sudden infant death syndrome.
- A closely connected topic is ways of reducing the risk of sudden infant death syndrome. Studies show that certain sleep positions and cigarette smoke can increase the risk of SIDS, but there are also many other factors you can research.
- What conditions put children at increased risk for meningitis? This pediatric research topic can be an interesting one for an article. Meningitis is still associated with a significant risk of lifelong neurological problems or death. See what the risk factors of meningitis are, and what can be done about it.
- Or you can choose an autism-related research paper topic, such as autism in children: overcoming language impairment. Pragmatic speech is often challenging for children with an autism spectrum disorder. Still, there are many ways in which we can help them overcome it.
- What are the effects of prenatal exposure to air pollution?
- Childhood asthma: new ways of diagnosis and management
- Childhood obesity: prevention strategies
- Meningitis in children: risk factors
- Measles in children: eye complications
- What are the possible causes of eating disorders in children?
- How do eating disorders affect development?
- What are the ways of improving the quality of life in children with cerebral palsy?
- A personalized approach in childhood cancer treatment
- Acute otitis media in children: new management strategies
- Recent innovations in pediatric dentistry: an overview
- What is the role of social workers in the childhood cancer treatment process?
- What are the prevention strategies of antibiotic resistance in children?
❤️ Anatomy Research Topics
- The latest discoveries in human microbial ecology are interesting research objects for undergraduates. Microorganisms in human organisms play a significant role in immunity, food digesting, and other processes. Discuss it in your paper!
- Bone tissue destruction in arthritis: ways of attenuation is another anatomy research topic that you can choose. It has been proven that an arginine-rich diet can influence cellular metabolism in bone. You may also describe other diet-related ways of inflammatory arthritis management.
- Brain changes in people recovering from a stroke is an important topic that requires a comparison of brain functions in healthy individuals and patients with stroke. The results can be used to improve the treatment of patients in recovery.
- Or you can choose an oncology-related topic, such as in what ways cancer affects the functions of the bone marrow niche? The bone marrow niche contains stem cells that create bone and blood. Understanding their functions is crucial in finding better ways of treating rheumatic and neoplastic diseases.
- Endometriosis: efficient ways of diagnosis can be the topic of your research paper. While this diagnosis usually leads to surgery, it is not always necessary. Currently, more patient-based ways of diagnosis and treatment are being developed.
- Alternatively, you can try to answer the question of how do photoperiodic changes affect brainstem volume? This topic is concerned with the mechanisms of seasonal affective disorder. It may also explain why SAD is more predominant in women than in men.
- Another exciting health-related topic for a research paper is what the crystal structure of human enamel is. The properties of enamel are still not entirely understood. The study of its crystal structure may provide necessary insight into its unique resilience.
- Ways of measuring neuromuscular and musculoskeletal function
- What is the mechanism of the humoral response to HLA antigens?
- What areas of the brain are associated with communication difficulties caused by stroke?
- What are the effects of a stroke on Upper Esophageal Sphincter functions?
- What is the role of extensor hallucis longus in hallux pathology?
- HLA-specific B cells: identification, quantification, and isolation
- What are the relations between obesity and knee osteoarthritis?
- What is the role of N-type calcium channels in regulating aldosterone production?
- What are the mechanisms of β-cell failure in type 1 and 2 diabetes mellitus?
- What is the role of copper irons in kidney fibrosis?
- The use of machine learning in predicting post-transplantation survival outcome after liver transplantation
- What is the role of the central lateral thalamus in controlling consciousness?
- Polyploidy in cancer and other pathological conditions
💉 Biomedical Research Topics
- What factors affect outcomes following injury? That is an interesting biomedical research topic. You can come up with ideas on how to improve the quality of life in recovering patients, as well as to reduce disability.
- Alternatively, you can center your research paper on ways of managing life after limb loss. It’s a significant issue affecting millions of people. New effective methods of recovery are now being developed based on interactivity and participation.
- Biomedical screening in diagnosing endometriosis is a relatively new idea. Endometriosis usually leads to surgery, which is not always the right solution. Currently, more patient-based ways of diagnosis and treatment are being developed.
- If you’re interested in computer technology, you can study software for imaging in biomedical research. Currently, a plethora of new computer programs for visualization is being developed. It’s an existing new industry that revolutionizes 21st-century medicine.
- The physiology of swallowing is an under-researched topic of great importance. You can study the changes in swallowing due to aging or stroke.
- Biomedical research of Alzheimer’s disease: newest discoveries
- Blood cells disorders: diagnosis and classification
- Neurodegeneration: the efficacy of the thermal rehabilitation approach
- What are the adverse effects of hemodialysis in patients with chronic kidney insufficiency?
- Bacterial meningitis: ways of diagnosing
- Care of patients with lung cancer: psychological aspects
- What makes diffuse axonal injury difficult to diagnose?
- What are the virological aspects of seasonal influenza?
- What are the ethical aspects of animal use in biomedical research?
- What molecular and cellular changes are associated with aging?
🙆 Mental Health Research Topics
- The use of mild electrical stimulation in patients with schizophrenia is different from what is known as EST. For example, mild stimulation of the prefrontal cortex temporarily restores the patient’s ability to recognize emotions.
- Similarly, you can study the effects of transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) on patients with OCD. It’s a new approach that is currently used for the treatment of depression. It also shows effectiveness in patients with OCD who don’t respond to medication.
- Compensatory cognitive training (CCT) in patients with mental disorders has been proven effective in boosting patients’ cognitive abilities. Still, it needs further research.
- The use of computer apps in coping with depression can be an interesting mental health research topic. The idea of creating virtual apps that can help patients cope with unpleasant thoughts is relatively new. You can study its efficacy or help to develop new apps.
- A pandemic as a public health emergency is a new burning topic. High levels of anxiety and other mental health problems have been noticed in people around the world during epidemics. You can research the effects of panic, isolation, and uncertainty.
- Analysis of language patterns in psychotic patients via machine learning is an exciting med research paper topic. It can help in predicting early signs of psychosis as well as provide insights into speech mechanisms of the brain.
- Efficient ways of diagnosing ADHD in children is another essential healthcare research paper topic. For example, you can write about ways of interpreting questionnaires for parents. Alternatively, you can develop your own questionnaire.
- You could center your research on risk factors for bipolar disorder development. There exist behavioral patterns that can indicate future BD in children, as well as genetic predisposition.
- What effect does increased screen time have on children’s development? This is an interesting question you can try to answer in your paper. While it has been proven that too much screen time doesn’t cause ADHD, it can possibly lead to w ADHD symptoms worse. You can make your contribution by studying the effects of electronic media on the brain.
- What factors influence the efficacy of exposure therapy in patients with posttraumatic stress disorder? This topic is another one concerned with the functions of the brain. You can study brain activity patterns in people responding to stressful situations and imagery.
- Connections between schizophrenia and bipolar disorder include similar symptoms as well as genetic predisposition. Further studies of genetic factors responsible for similarities and differences between these two conditions can lead to the development of better-personalized treatments.
- Another closely connected topic is light therapy for patients with bipolar disorder. Daily exposure to light has proven to be effective in the treatment of seasonal depression. You can test its efficacy in the treatment of other depression-related conditions.
- Mindfulness meditation in the treatment of depression is an excellent topic for students. Cognitive techniques using meditation are proven to be almost as effective as medication. Yet, further research is required.
- Alternatively, you can choose a research question related to eating disorders, such as what are the physiological mechanisms of eating disorders? For example, it has been proven that there are distinct types of neurons responsible for regulating eating behavior.
- A broader topic for a research paper is the use of biomarkers in psychiatry. This includes using biological signatures to reveal underlying mechanisms of mental disorders specific to each patient. It can also be used for effective diagnosis.
- What’s the efficacy of online psychotherapy in comparison to in-person sessions?
- What is the relation between anxiety sensitivity and PTSD?
- The efficacy of hypnosis and its clinical use
- How can early intervention help adolescents with mental health disorders?
- What are the gender differences in PTSD?
- What are the ways of improving mental health care in jails?
- What are the ways of reducing public stigma against seeking mental health treatment?
- How can immune stress influence mental disorders and drug use?
- What are the ways of detecting autism at the earliest stages of life?
- What genetic factors contribute to autistic spectrum disorder?
- Treatment of alcohol dependence in patients with anxiety
- The use of animal models in designing new treatments for borderline personality disorder
- The effects of early stress on the hippocampus
- The combined use of behavioral therapy and medication in adolescents with anxiety
- What’s the efficacy of lithium as a mood stabilizer in adolescents with bipolar disorder?
- What are the brain differences in bipolar adolescents with suicidal behavior?
- How does PTSD affect the ability to empathize?
- Resilience to stress: genetic and behavioral factors
- The use of brain imaging in depression diagnosis
- What are the genetic factors associated with neuroticism?
- What is the connection between the immune system and mental health?
- How can vulnerability to hallucinations be detected?
- What are the brain wave patterns specific to patients with autistic spectrum disorder?
- What is the role of sleep deprivation in developing bipolar disorder?
- What are the ways of predicting relapse in patients with depression?
😷 Public Health Research Topics
- Malnutrition in children is an important issue. It often leads to underweight and mineral deficiency, which can have severe consequences. It’s especially widespread in developing countries.
- Alternatively, you can study the effects of obesity and physical inactivity on the population. Obesity is a dangerous condition that often leads to complications. This includes high cholesterol and high blood pressure.
- Why does the impact of smoking-caused diseases on mortality continue to rise? This issue is mostly associated with developing countries. Even with the success of recent efforts to reduce smoking, the long-term effects of nicotine are still going to affect people’s health.
- Can moderate alcohol consumption be beneficial for health? is a fascinating public health research topic. Several studies demonstrate alcohol’s protective effects against various diseases. See if there’s enough evidence to prove this.
- The impact of fine air pollutants on human health can be severe. It is associated with such illnesses as lung cancer and cardiopulmonary disease. See how we can reduce air pollution and its harmful effects.
- Inappropriate use of antibiotics is another serious threat to public health. It can lead to antibiotic resistance, resulting in deaths from common infections and minor injuries. See what causes the rise in antibiotic consumption and what can be done about it.
- Or you can choose food fortification: efficacy and controversies. Adding vital microelements to food helps with nutrient deficiency. However, it is essential to control fortified foods intake and not to over fortify.
- Finding ways to prevent back pain from becoming chronic is an excellent topic for a research paper. Chronic back pain can have a damaging effect on people’s quality of life. New preventive measures are now in development.
- You can also study herbal medicine and its role in global health. Traditional plant-based medicine was thought to be applicable only in poor regions. Currently, there is a newfound interest in the medicinal properties of plants among scientists.
- The use of social media for health behavior change is an exciting current topic. The use of social media in the sphere of public health is considered very effective. The widespread use of social media makes it possible to use its benefits in middle and low-income countries.
- A closely connected topic is video games in chronic illness management and prevention. Video games can incorporate elements that help manage chronic illness. Besides, they provide the necessary distraction from pain.
- The impact of global travel on public health can be devastating in situations such as a pandemic. You can study the ways of raising awareness about the dangers of global traveling. It is also important to prevent anxiety and stigmatization of certain countries.
- The influence of racism on public health is an important topic that needs to be studied carefully. Racial prejudice often prevents people of color from receiving high-quality treatment. It is crucial to find ways to eliminate bias from health care systems.
- Undiagnosed diabetes as a global health problem: that is another burning topic. High levels of obesity around the world increase the risk of diabetes. See why early diagnosis at the prediabetes stage can lead to better outcomes.
- You can focus your research on the importance of overcoming the mental health stigma. Despite recent success in the treatment of mental disorders, patients are often blamed for their condition. Collective efforts need to be taken against the stigma and its devastating effects.
- The effects of new technology on life extension is a compelling medical topic for research paper. Learn about tech innovations that can prolong our life and discuss ethical issues connected with them.
- Or you can try to answer the question of what causes increased vaccine refusal? Anti-vaccine movements exist since the late 18th century. Recently they are on the rise primarily due to social media influence. It’s necessary to find adequate ways to address this issue.
- How the prolongation of life influences public health? This is an excellent topic that you can research. First and foremost, it covers the increased importance of chronic disease management and prevention.
- Cancer prevention and control is one of the crucial areas of public health research. Discover how technology helps us with early diagnosis and effective prevention of cancer.
- The promotion of handwashing may seem insignificant, but it couldn’t be further from the truth. Handwashing plays a considerable role in our health. The promotion of frequent handwashing as well as correct techniques and soap usage is especially vital during epidemics.
- The effects of global warming on public health
- Efficacy of tobacco carve-out for public health protection
- What infectious diseases are the most threatening for the population?
- What are the leading global risks for mortality?
- What are the most effective ways of healthy lifestyle promotion?
- What are the ways of improving health literacy among individuals with multiple sclerosis?
- What is the impact of unsafe water on public health?
- What is the difference between leading health risks in high-, middle-, and low-income countries?
- What factors lead to high blood pressure among the population?
- STD among adolescents: prevention strategies
- Differences in disease management: coronavirus in four countries
- What are the effects of vitamin A deficiency in children?
- What are the effects of excess salt on people’s health?
- What’s the connection between age and increased risk of dying from high blood glucose?
- Promotion of physical activity: new efficient ways
- What are the consequences of ineffective contraception use?
- What are the developmental and behavioral effects of early lead exposure?
- What are the dangers of excess occupational noise?
- Cardiovascular disease: new prevention strategies
- What are the main changes in patterns of consumption around the world?
- What are the dangers of low fruit and vegetable intake?
- Preventive strategies against blindness in developing countries
- Seizure disorders awareness: new ways
- Dementia in Africa: preventive strategies
- Vaccination: a way of controlling infectious diseases
- What are the most efficient measures in measles control?
- What are the important implications Affordable Care Act for public health practice?
- Ways of maintaining the functioning immune system in patients with HIV
- How can health systems be prepared for extreme weather events?
- The negative effects of greenhouse gas emissions on people’s health
- How road design influences physical activity levels among the population?
- Active transportation among adolescents: new ways of promotion
- Energy-dense foods: pro and contra
- The use of social media for infectious disease surveillance
- What’s the importance of chronic disease prevention at the earliest stages in life?
- Violence prevention strategies in a community at the local level
- What are the ways of improving access to fresh fruits and vegetables for older adults?
- Mosquito-borne diseases and their prevention
- Workplace health promotion: new strategies
- The role of sociology in public health: methods, concepts, and ways of improvement
- Mental health promotion in US schools
🏥 Medical Anthropology Research Topics
- The connection between poverty and disability is an excellent medical research paper topic. Disability can be caused by poverty, and similarly, poverty can be caused by disability. See how else they are interconnected.
- The medical culture of China is a fascinating topic for presentation. Discover what makes the Chinese medicine unique, and why it remains so influential today.
- The impact of multigenerational addiction experiences on children can be devastating. See what happens when children grow up watching substance abuse at home.
- Can subjective experience count as truth in healthcare? This research question is an intriguing one. The personal experience of patients is a very valuable source of knowledge. At the same time, it is often treated as non-factual information.
- Caffeine use: health hazard is a great under-researched topic for a paper. In our modern world, coffee is an extremely popular drink. Still, there are many dangers to caffeine use, such as psychotic symptoms and sleep disorders.
- Another interesting question you can research is medical pluralism: is it still relevant? While pluralism often helps to move medicine forward, sometimes it goes too far. See where the line between alternative medicine and superstition is.
- Or you may study how medical definition of ADHD changed over time. Various descriptions of this condition date back as far as the 18th century. The definition and terminology of ADHD have been continuously changing and still require further research.
- What impact does incarceration have on people’s health?
- Strategies for overcoming racial health disparities: an overview
- Lead causes of premature death in the US
- What is the impact of chronic illness and disability on individuals in the developed world?
- Cultural bias in comparative anatomy studies
- What are the cultural and political aspects of human reproduction?
- Speech and hearing loss discrimination: causes and risks
- Cultural views on the causes of mental illness across the world
- What are the views on women’s health in Middle Eastern countries?
- Ancient Greek medical system as the basis of biomedicine
- Ethnobotany across the world: a cross-cultural comparison
- What are the cultural views on the healing properties of reptiles?
- Evolutionary development of scoliosis: an overview
⁉️ Controversial Medical Topics for a Research Paper
- Euthanasia is a vast topic for a research paper or discussion. You can choose to talk about its historical aspects, its relation to law, its ethical problems, the attitude towards pediatric euthanasia, and many more.
- The use of animals in clinical research remains controversial. Animals such as rats play a significant role in medical discoveries. Nevertheless, many people insist that animal tests are unethical and unnecessary.
- Or you may write about stem cells: ethical issues. Stem cells are often harvested from embryos, which led to restrictions connected to their medical use. Currently, new types of stem cells are being developed, and the attitude towards this subject is changing.
- One of the oldest controversial topics in medicine is abortion: pro-choice vs. pro-life. This includes the moral status of the embryo, the definition of personhood, women’s freedom over their bodies, and other interesting aspects.
- Ethical controversies around vaccines include testing, informed consent, access issues, as well as other aspects. You can also mention the effect of the anti-vaccine movement on society.
- Another interesting and controversial topic is antidepressants: medicine or placebo? Numerous scandals around drug companies suggest that popular antidepressants may have no real effect and do more harm than good. See if there’s enough evidence to support this point of view.
- Gender bias in medical research
- Affordability of healthcare: policies and optimization strategies
- Medical conspiracy theories: reasons and impact
- Why is ADHD often considered to be “not real”?
- What impact does HIV denialism have on society?
- Is there a connection between abortion and women’s mental health?
- Plastic surgery: the controversies
- Generic drugs: safety, efficacy, and other controversies
- What are the controversies related to chronic fatigue syndrome recognition?
- Fast food and junk food-related criticisms
- The ethics of genetic engineering in humans and non-humans
- Is homeopathy a pseudoscience?
- The ethical issue of organ transplantation
📑 Medical Research: Types of Study
Before you write your research, it is necessary to decide on the study design. It is usually determined by the topic of the research. The methods of your research will depend on the chosen type of study.
There are two main types of study: primary and secondary. Primary studies are focused on new research, while secondary ones deal with the analysis of already available data.
Primary research can be further classified into:
- Basic experimental research and the development of analytical and biometric procedures. This includes cell and genetic studies, method development in various fields, etc.
- Clinical research that studies the effects of drugs and medical procedures. It can be experimental (clinical studies) and observational (therapy study, observational data analysis, single case reports, etc.)
- Epidemiological research centered on distribution, frequency, and changes in diseases. This category includes case-control studies, cross-sectional studies, cohort studies, etc.
Secondary research usually consists of literature reviews and meta-analysis.
Each type has its advantages and disadvantages. For example, some intervention studies are impossible to carry out for ethical reasons. Observational studies are safer, but also less reliable that interventional studies.
Choose the design that fits you best and write your perfect medical research paper!
Receive a plagiarism-free paper tailored to your instructions.Cut 20% off your first order!
🤔 Medical Research FAQ
Medical research is a cross-disciplinary investigation of various diseases, including their mechanisms, treatment, and prevention techniques. It can be based on data analysis or clinical trials conducted on animals or volunteers. Medical research is essential in the development of new treatments, as well as raising awareness of various health-related topics.
Research is what moves medicine forward. Medical research helps us learn more about diseases, discover new treatments, and improve our quality of life. It also makes possible prevent and diagnose various diseases at early stages, as well as test the efficacy and adverse effects of new medicines before they become available to a larger population.
Research experience is not mandatory for admission in the majority of med schools. However, it is a very valuable experience that helps you develop essential skills.
If you are interested in medical research, you can go into an MD program. This will enable you to work in a laboratory of a research institute and participate in groundbreaking discoveries.
Most of the federally funded biomedical research is conducted at The National Institutes of Health (NIH). It consists of 27 separate institutes located in different parts of the US.
The NIH is responsible for many important discoveries. This includes the use of lithium for bipolar disorder treatment, numerous vaccines, and gene therapy.
This is a step by step guide:
- Choose a current hot topic.
- Formulate your thesis statement.
- Describe your methodology, instrumentation, and approaches.
- Write about the results of your research. You can use tables and graphics.
- Write a conclusion. Say why your research is important.
- Write a short abstract.
- Add acknowledgments and references.
You might also be interested in:
Comprar Cialis Valparaiso