Stop biting your nails in trying to come up with topics for a persuasive essay. There’s a great solution to your problem!
Of course, you could spend a couple more hours staring into the ceiling trying to come up with a brilliant topic for your next great persuasive/argumentative essay.
But wouldn’t that be a major waste of your precious time, which you could actually spend writing the paper?!
Whether you haven’t had much experience with argumentative essay writing, or you are looking for fresh thoughts, we offer you a list of top 50 ideas for your argumentative essay topic.
Check out the full list of free unique argumentative essay topics below:
- Should animals be used for scientific and medical research?
- Do we need privately run prisons?
- Should death penalty be mandatory for all murderers, or should they spend the rest of their life in prison?
- Do we have the right to exhume bodies of prominent people and move them from one place to another?
- Should Russians finally bury Lenin?
- Better naked, than in furs? Where’s the line in protecting the animal rights?
- Was Saddam Hussein’s execution an essential point in establishing democracy in Iraq?
- Should men be allowed to have more than one wife?
- Plastic surgery: a way to promote beauty or destroy it?
- In some Asian countries cutting off a thief’s right hand is still commonly practiced. Do you think this is the best way out?
- Talk about any major issue (abortion, Iraq, Afghanistan, marijuana legalization, etc.).
- Say why talking about major issues (abortion, Iraq, Afghanistan, marijuana legalization, etc.) all the time not only lessens their importance, but even evokes irritation.
- How atheists and religious people should exercise tolerance with each other because it is a right?
- Was the “sex, drugs, and rock’n’roll” era significant, or not?
- Prove that free bagels with sour cream stimulate brain activity.
- A maniac killed 15 little girls and was sentenced to death. One of the local TV stations was asked by the parents of victims to show his execution. The channel gave its agreement, but the transmission was later cancelled. Give your opinion on this situation.
- Vegetarians vs. meat eaters. Whose side are you on? Support your argument.
- Why talking about sex is okay, but talking about cheating is embarrassing?
- Do you agree that there is art for the masses, and elite culture? How do you feel about being among “the masses”? Or do you consider yourself to be a part of the “elites” in this regard?
- If you do not belong among “the masses”, what do you think about The Black Square by Kazimir Malevich?
We are pretty sure you may have already found an interesting argumentative essay topic for yourself. But you are still curious? All right then!
- Do you want to have a cosmetic surgery? Why or why not?
- Is it important to talk openly about the contraception?
- Which country has the prettiest girls?
- Prove that blondes are actually smart.
- Do you agree that the international image of the USA has been negatively affected by numerous wars?
- There is an opinion that Daewoos are not cars at all. Are they?
- What do you think about gay marriage?
- Why driving is permitted from the age of 16, shooting in porn movies from the age of 18 and gambling from the age of 21? Is this right?
- Is it helpful to be skeptical towards anything?
- What do you think about the negative public opinion on thongs and bra straps?
You’ve got to be kidding! You’ve gotten this far and you still haven’t found the argument essay topic that’s right for you? You’re a real topic enthusiast!
Here are some additional persuasive essay topics for you to look into:
- Your friend is concerned about her grades. Even though they are good, she still stays awake for half of the night getting the assignments and extra credit work ready. Convince your friend that wearing herself out is not the best idea.
- When you moved to this town, it was relatively small. Now that it’s expanding, your parents consider moving to a calmer place. You, however, have friends here that you don’t want to leave. Talk to your parents about the necessity of staying.
- A friend of yours, a skinny girl, thinks that she needs to lose a few pounds. Tell her why losing more weight will only damage her health.
- Your friend is failing his finals. If he doesn’t pass, he’ll be expelled from the university. His studies mean a lot to him, but he’s feeling depressed and doesn’t want to do anything. Renew his faith into himself by persuading him/her to study.
- As a result of political instabilities, a local political organization reacts severely to federal government activity. It plans to throw an act of protest. You know that this endeavor might be dangerous. Your friend, however, is inspired and wants to join. Tell him about possible consequences of getting into an organization or movement that is not trustworthy or highly radical.
- Your mom is not happy with an outfit or makeup that you are wearing for a school dance. Try to calm her down.
- You think that school uniform destroys your individuality. Write a persuasive letter to your principal.
- You are tired of news on TV. They all tell you about the number of victims in the Middle East. Tell why it is unethical for journalists to make money on deaths and war.
- Cheating and lying can sometimes be helpful. Convince your readers by giving bright examples.
- Prove that living in a big city is better than living in a small town (and vice versa).
Still thirsting for more? You just can’t get enough, can you? You, topic addict!
Delight yourself with the last chunk of our list of persuasive essay topics, here below just for you:
- Convince your parents to buy you something.
- Your friends want to go dancing; however, all week you’ve been thinking about bowling. Try to persuade them to go to a bowling club instead.
- You share a room with your younger sister. She has put a poster of Justin Bieber onto the wall, and now you feel like an absolutely humiliated person. Tell her why this poster has to be taken off.
- Take any common fallacy (like the one that wolves attack people all the time), and prove why it is wrong.
- You have your own point of view on marriage and family. Convince your readers why it is correct.
- You want to go study abroad, and there are a number of reasons why you should take someone with you. Persuade a friend of yours to go study abroad with you.
- Your little sister doesn’t want to help you and your Mom around the house. Give her reasons why she has to do it.
- The book you’ve just finished is absolutely fantastic. Explain to your family member/friend why it is so good. Try to persuade him/her to read it, too.
- A history teacher thinks that showing the movie Pearl Harbor will be sufficient to cover the material on World War II. Prove that you are eager to know more than this, and explain why it’s important to learn the lessons of the past.
- Tell why it is important to know more than one foreign language.
Congratulations! Good job, dear friend! You’ve gone through all 50 brilliant ideas for your argumentative essay!
By now, a number of these many argumentative essay prompts must have caught your eye. Whether it be for college or for high school, you now have shortlisted your choices for a good argumentative essay topic. It is now time to narrow them down to just one. But they all seem to be equally challenging, controversial and exciting topics to use in your persuasive essay. What should you do?
Don’t fret. Your worries end here. Below are some simple tips to guide you in choosing the perfect persuasive essay topic for you.
Find out which of the topics, you already have a fairly good background on which will enable you to have a relative edge. Prior exposure or knowledge about a particular subject provides better hindsight which can bring better arguments on the matter.
Find out which of your chosen controversial argumentative essay topics touches upon one of your strongest beliefs. Your tenacity of spirit in its defense may just be the key to a winning persuasive essay. A driven person can beat even the most informed opponent, given he keeps his head above his emotions.
Find out which of the easy persuasive essay topics you are considering will you have the most supporting data for. Even if you believe in a particular argument very strongly, if you lack the evidence to prove your point, then your argument may just be as good as lost.
So now you have narrowed down your choice to one. Well, that wasn’t so hard, was it? You can then proceed with rest of the essay and use this guide in making your argumentative essay outline. Checking out some persuasive essay examples is also very useful. For other needs, simply turn to Custom Writing, where you can get professional assistance for any argumentative research paper or essay needs.
Now, in case your topic causes any controversial discussion, don’t panic, you can always use our ideas for debates! Good luck with your classes and feel free to come back any time for more advice!