Canadian identity is something that has become really important for many Canadians in the past fifty years. Canada is a big, multinational country with its own traditions, culture, and history. However, because of quite a large number of foreigners and even Americans, its culture and people are associated with the United States. The reason is very simple.
Our specialists will write a custom essay on any topic for
The US is the biggest and closest neighbor of Canada. The main purpose of writing an essay on Canadian identity is obvious. You have to prove that Canada differs a lot from the United States and that such a thing as Canadian identity does exist.
However, your task is not that simple. There are many things that you have to know to write a powerful Canadian identity essay. But before you continue reading, don’t forget to bookmark our homepage website.
And now let’s get back to our essay on Canadian identity.
📜 Learn More About the Canadian History
Well, first, it is necessary to be aware of the basic historical facts about Canada:
- Explore the time before the British and French settlement. Learn more about the First Nations identity.
- The First Nations vs. New France. How did the Aboriginals and French settlers coexist?
- Examine the Colonial Canada period, when New France became a British belonging.
- Explore the period between 1867 and WWI, when the British prestige and power reached their zenith. During this period Canada became an independent country, although with particular restrictions.
- Investigate the period between world wars and how it’s affected the Canadian sense of nationhood.
- Discover the Canadian identity crisis after the end of World War II. How bipolar world and the domination of the USA did influence Canadians?
- Learn more about 1982 when Canada moved from the British North America Act to its Constitution.
Second, to write good essays on Canadian identity, you have to be aware of the current policy in this sphere. We strongly recommend you to study the proposition made by Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper in 2007 and his accomplishments:
- Successful emerge of Canada from the financial crisis in 2007-2008
- Reduced taxes, federal spending, and Harper’s own pension
- The increased sexual consent age
- Maternal health initiative launch
- Toughen penalties for violent criminals
- Job growth during last decades
- Canada was ranked among the best places in the world for business
- EU-Canada Free Trade Agreement that led to increased new job openings
❓ Who Are the True Canadians?
Before you dive into the writing your national identity essay, let’s take a look at how Canadians identify themselves.
In 2016 the Pew Research Center conducted the survey “What It Takes to Truly Be ‘One of Us.” 14,514 people from 14 countries participated in it.
According to the survey results, the most crucial to Canadian identity is an ability to speak French or English and sharing Canadian traditions and customs.
Only 21% of respondents think that being born in Canada is essential for being Canadian.
At the same time, being a Christian really matters only for 15% of respondents. And almost half of surveyed Canadians stated that being a religious person does not important to national identity at all.
Receive a plagiarism-free paper tailored to your instructions.Cut 20% off your first order!
💡 Issues to Introduce in Your Essay on Canadian Identity
What are some other issues that should be introduced in Canadian identity essays? What aspects will make your Canadian essay really strong and complete?
- Essays on Canadian identity should highlight the basic characteristics of the national identity (bicultural nature of the country, historical experience, social structure and policy, geophysical factors and so on).
- In your essay on Canadian identity, you can make a special emphasis on the period after the World War I. It was the period of Canadian identity crisis.
- Essays on Canadian identity can take a form of a compare and contrast essay. You will have to define similarities and differences between Canadians and Americans.
Sure, there are still lots of problems to explore in your assignment. But if you’re struggling with topic ideas, we’re here to help you!
📑 21 Essay Topics on Canadian Identity
Well, we’ve created a list of useful topics for your essay on Canadian identity. Just pick up one of them and start writing!
- Canadian people. Who are they? Try to discover exciting facts about Canadian people.
- Traditional Canadian food. Find out more about local cuisine. You may research how the indigenous traditions affected current food preferences.
- Current social issues in Canada. Investigate major problems in social life and make suggestions on how you’d solve them. Provide a few Canadian social norms examples.
- Proud to be Canadian. What makes Canada unique? Why are Canadians pleased to be citizens of this country? Describe Canada as a country.
- Cultural diversity in Canada. How ethnic groups in Canada form its culture? Provide some multiculturalism examples.
- National identity: hockey in Canadian culture. Why Canadians love this game? Explore the history of hockey in Canada.
- US vs. Canada. What does the phrase “meanwhile in Canada” mean? Discover cultural differences between the US and Canada.
- Canadian culture: customs and traditions. If you’re planning to use this topic, try to find interesting facts about Canada culture. What are some Canadian values?
- Canada as the symbol of freedom. How did Canada gain independence? What were the prerequisites for this? Explore events that shaped Canada.
- Stereotypical Canadian things. Make a Canadian stereotypes list and provide their confirmation or refutation.
- Canada and religion. What are the major religions in Canada? How do they affect its internal policies?
- Canadian personality traits. What makes Canadians stand out from other nations? Think, if you were/are Canadian how you would answer this question: what makes you Canadian?
- Canadian identity crisis. Turn back to history and discover its premises and results.
- Canadian immigration laws. How does immigration affect Canadian identity? Explore the immigration tendencies and prospects.
- Cultural regions of Canada. Learn more about cultural diversity in Canadian provinces. What caused the difference between the cultural differences between provinces?
- Canada is the best country to live in. You can use this topic for your future argumentative essay. You may need to explore the latest surveys and rankings to find supporting evidence.
- Canadian music culture. What distinguishes Canadian music among other countries? Learn more about famous Canadian singers and musicians. Who are they?
- Aboriginal people and their role in Canadian Identity. Learn more about the history of indigenous people. Investigate treaty relationships between the First Nations of Northern America and Europeans. How did Aboriginal people shape Canadian culture?
So, work on your Canadian identity essay is going to be very interesting. Still, without substantial background information, it can be quite tricky. So, be ready for it and start looking for the sources to produce a powerful essay on Canadian identity!
If you could choose where to live in Canada, what city would you choose? Tell us in comments below and provide a brief explanation of why.
13.00 10.40/page, and you can get an custom-written academic paper according to your instructions
What can I say for a thesis statement?
Our experts will gladly help you with your work. Please, don’t hesitate to contact them.
Hi! Thanks for the tips on essays on Canadian identity! They seem very helpful! I hope to apply them for my Canadian identity essay writing successfully!
Hello! I want to thank you for this post on writing essays on Canadian identity. The post to read for everybody writing an essay on it!