Smoking can be viewed as one of the trendy habits. Numerous teenagers try it since they think that it is cool or can help them socialize. Often students start smoking due to stress or mental illnesses. But is it okay?
Educators tend to give different written assignments, which may disclose this topic. If you have to develop a teenage smoking essay, you should learn the effects and harm that this habit causes.
That’s when our Custom-writing.org writers can help you!In the article, you’ll see how to deal with writing about smoking students. We’ve gathered tips for different paper types and prompts that can inspire you to start. In the end, you’ll find some smoking essay topics as well.
✍️ How to Write a Teenage Smoking Essay
Just like any other academic paper, a teen smoking essay should be organized according to its type. You are probably familiar with the following writing ones:
- argumentative essay;
- cause and effect essay;
- persuasive essay.
Below, you can find insightful tips on how to compose a teenage smoking essay, fulfilling the requirements of each type.
🚬 Argumentative Essay on Smoking
An argumentative essay on teenage smoking should give the reader a rational discussion of a specific issue. The ideas are expected to be well-structured and solidified with valid evidence.
Below, you can find the most useful tips for writing an argumentative teen smoking essay. Don’t hesitate to use them!
- Catch the reader’s attention. In the introduction, explain the significance and relatability of the chosen issue. Provide general background and make the reader continue exploring your essay through attention-grabbing elements (impressive statistics, personal stories, etc.).
- Express your position clearly. Compose a concise thesis statement, so the reader can quickly get your position. Be as precise as possible!
For example, your thesis might look like this:
Teenage smoking leads to poor health, psychological and social issues.
- Provide strong arguments. Relying on your thesis statement, find solid arguments to support your position. Ideally, each point should be covered in a separate body paragraph, starting from a concise topic sentence. For the proposed above thesis, topic arguments might be the following:
- The most vivid adverse ramification of teenage smoking is the development of health problems like heart or lung diseases and cancer.
- Another disruptive effect of smoking at a young age is the risk of psychological disorders such as anxiety or depression.
- The last negative consequence of teenage smoking is the conflict with social norms.
- Support your arguments. Your ideas will become stronger if you support them with proof from other sources. But be careful here! Use only reliable sources (academic journals, scholarly articles, books, etc.).
- Finish your essay dynamically. In your essay conclusion, restate your thesis statement and synthesize all of your arguments. Motivate your readers on further investigation of your topic. To make your paper even more impressive, finish it with the final memorable thought that would be stuck in your readers’ minds.
📈 Cause and Effect Essay on Smoking
A cause and effect of the teenage smoking essay should answer two questions:
- Why do teenagers smoke? (Causes).
- What are the consequences of teenage smoking? (Effects).
How to create an excellent cause and effect paper? You can start by checking successful teen smoking essay examples. Then, learn some useful tips here:
- Get an idea. The first step of creating a causes effects of teenage smoking essay is brainstorming topics. Think of the common reasons for teens smoking and analyze the possible outcomes. Here are some ideas for you:
| || |
- Outline your paper. This step helps structure your ideas properly. Create a well-organized plan and add there all the proof and examples. Make sure that everything is logical, and start writing your teenage smoking essay.
- Form a clear thesis. In your thesis statement, state your position and introduce the chosen cause and effect of smoking. Here is an example of the thesis for this type of smoking among teenagers essay:
Caused by peer pressure, smoking negatively affects teenagers’ health and appearance.
- Effectively develop your points. Discuss the causes and effects in your body paragraphs. Also, support each argument with valid evidence from reliable sources or personal experience.
For the mentioned above thesis statement, the main points would be the following:
- The key cause of teenage nicotine addiction is peer pressure and the fear of becoming an outsider among the friends-smokers.
- One of the detrimental effects of cigarettes on teenagers is health problems.
- Another adverse consequence of teenage smoking is negative changes in appearance.
- Polish your piece of writing. After you finished your first draft, revise and edit your essay. Ensure the absence of grammar and punctuation mistakes and double-check if your paper is coherent.
🚭 Persuasive Essay on Smoking
A persuasive essay about teenage smoking resembles an argumentative one but has a different purpose. Here, you have to convince your reader in your opinion, using evidence and facts. Moreover, in some papers, you have to call your reader to action. For example, to quit or ban smoking. So, see how to do so:
- Grab the reader’s attention. To do so, you should know your audience and their preferences. Start your smoking essay by proving to the reader your credibility and the significance of your topic. For example, if you are writing about smoking students, introduce the shocking statistics at the beginning of your paper and convince them to stop smoking.
- Show your empathy. An emotional appeal is a powerful tool for gaining the readers’ trust and influencing their opinions. Demonstrate that you understand their emotions and, at the same time, convince them to change their beliefs.
To make it more clear, see an example:
Although smoking might help teenagers be on the same wavelength as their friends, nicotine has a detrimental effect on health and leads to cancer development.
- Include rhetoric questions. This is a useful persuasive trick that makes readers change their minds. For instance, in your smoking essay, you may ask this question:
Smoking helps me to relieve stress, but will I be able to overcome lung cancer later?
- Highlight your position. In a persuasive essay, you should be incredibly convincing. So, don’t be afraid of exaggeration or even repeating yourself. These tricks may help you to deliver your message to the reader more quickly and effectively.
You have a lot of ways of creating fantastic teen smoking essays. You should just turn around and gather material. Sometimes it lies near your foot.
To smoke or not to smoke? – This is the question!
You should decide what is for you:
To be yourself or follow the fashion!
It is not difficult to do!
🔥 Smoking Essay: Topics & Prompts
Do you know what the critical secret of a successful essay is? A well-chosen topic!
If you find something you are passionate about, your essay writing process will be much easier. So, take a look at our smoking essay topics. Select one of them or use some to come up with your idea.
- Smoking among teenagers: an exaggerated problem or a real threat to generation?
- The influence of nicotine on teenagers’ brain activity.
- How smoking parents develop smoking habits in their children?
- Vaping: a healthier alternative to regular cigarettes or just another dangerous teenagers’ passion?
- Is smoking still a problem among teenagers today – an essay to highlight the issue of cigarettes addiction.
- The danger of smoking for immature teenagers’ organisms.
- If smoking in public places was banned, teenagers would be predisposed to cigarettes less.
- Social problems caused by teenage smoking.
- The role of parents in dealing with teenage cigarette addiction.
- Useful tips to stop smoking.
- Why are teenagers influenced by peer pressure, and how to overcome it?
- Teenage smoking: a matter of real nicotine addiction or a case of psychological processes inside immature minds?
Here are some writing prompts that you can use for your smoking essay:
- What does the data on smoking in different countries say? Compare the age limitations for smoking, attitude to smoking in America and Europe, for example. Where the situation is worst, whether the government tries to fight against this, etc.
- The distribution of cigarettes and other types of tobacco. Is it okay that tobacco machines are available all over the world (especially in Europe)? Any child can buy a cigarette and start smoking. You should investigate this problem in your teen smoking essays.
- Opinion essay: present your ideas and attitude to smoking. Explain whether you like to see people smoking around you, or you cannot stand when people are gazing at you while you are smoking.
- How does media influence teens’ decision-making? When a teenager sees their favorite hero getting unbelievable pleasure from smoking, they want to check it. Is it a reason to start? What are other ways mass media affects the problem?
Thanks for reading till the end! Make sure to leave your opinion about the article below. Send it to your friends who may need our tips.
You might also be interested in: