Students are very often assigned to write essays. If you have to write a child labor essay, you must be sure in need of some essay tips on how to write and what to include in it. The information you will find in this article can help you write a good child labor essay without many problems (for professional help with your studies, look at our main page).
Before we give you some tips on you on how to write child labor essay introduction, body, and conclusion, let’s start with history.
Children have always been apprentices and servants all over the human history. However, the Industrial Revolution increased the use of child labor in the world.
The factories ensured the growth in the overall standard of living, a sharp drop in the mortality rate in cities, including children, and caused unprecedented population growth.
The involvement of child labor was made possible by machines with which even physically weak people could work. Operating power-driven machines did not require high qualification, but the child’s small height often was a better option. The machines could be installed quite closely to save the factory space. Some children worked in coal mines, where adults couldn’t fit.
Thus, child labor has become an indispensable and integral part of the economy.
Even special children's professions were formed. For example, there were scavengers and scribes in the cotton factories. The scavenger had to be small and fast. They crawled all day under the spinning looms and collected the fallen pieces of cotton, inhaling cotton dust and dodging the working mechanisms.
Scribes walked around the shop and sorted the threads that ran along the machine. It was estimated, that the child was passing about 24 miles during the working day.
Needless to say, that child labor conditions were far from perfect. The situation began to change in the early 1900s during social reform in the United States when restricting child labor laws were passed as part of the progressive movement.
During the Great Depression, the child labor issues raised again because of lacking open jobs to adults. The National Industrial Recovery Act codes significantly reduced child labor in America.
Child labor today in wealthy countries accounts for 1% of the workforce. At the same time, according to the International Labor Organization (ILO), the highest ranges of working children are in Africa (32%), Asia (22%), and in Latin America (17%).
Speaking about child labor, you should understand the factors that lead to children employment:
- The poverty. According to ILO, it is one of great causes of child labor. Children have to work to support their families. Sometimes up to 40% of a household income is the child's salary.
- Lack of access to education. An absence of school or its distant location, poor quality of education, unaffordable tuition in local schools drives children to harmful labor.
- The culture. In some countries it is common for children and adolescents to help their parents in a family business; earn their pocket money because people believe such work allows children to develop skills and build character. Other cultures value girls’ education less than boys, so girls are pushed to provide domestic services.
- The growth of a low-paying informal economy. This macroeconomic factor explains acceptability and demand for child labor.
Don’t forget to mention current laws and regulations in your child labor assignment. You may refer to international child labor laws or analyze legislative acts in different countries.
For example, the Fair Labor Standards Act determines age restrictions, jobs allowed for teenagers, and what paperwork is necessary.
Other acts, programs, and initiatives you should mention are:
- Convention on the Rights of the Child
- Worst Forms of Child Labour Convention
- Minimum Age Convention
- Medical Examination of Young Persons (Industry) Convention
- Australia’s and UK's Modern Slavery Acts
- National Framework for Protecting Australia’s Children 2009-2020
- International Program on the Elimination of Child Labor
- Child Labor Deterrence Act of 1993
When writing about child laws against child labor, you may also explore the best and worst countries for children’s work conditions.
You may also mention child labor incidents:
- The UNICEF’s report on using enslaved children in cocoa production
- Child labor in Africa’s cobalt, copper and gold mines
- GAP, Zara, Primark, H&M’s products made with cotton which may have been picked by children. You can also find extra information on companies that use child labor.
- Child labor in silk weaving factories
Now let’s talk about writing a child labor essay. Its structure depends on the type of your assignment: argumentative, persuasive, for and against child labor essay.
Actually, there’s nothing new in the basic essay structure: introduction, body paragraphs, and conclusion. Below you’ll find the essential information on what to write in your assignment about child labor:
1. The Introductory part of child labor essays may present the general meaning of the term “child labor.” In this part of your child labor essay, you may say that child labor means the work of children that aims at exploiting and harming them. Therefore, the thesis statement of child labor essays may sound like “Not every kind of child labor is supposed to be exploitive.” Think about your position.
2. The Main Body of child labor essays aims to support your thesis statement by numerous examples and evidence. How can you support the thesis statement of your child labor essay? Each of the Body paragraphs should present a specific idea. In general, these ideas serve to prove your thesis statement. So, the following issues can be disclosed in the Main Body of your child labor essay:
- What are the reasons for child labor today? In this part of your child labor essay, you have to present the reasons for why child labor is so widely-spread nowadays. Are there some positive factors for it?
- What jobs can be done by children? Give a list of possible jobs, and present short descriptions of the duties children have to fulfill. Explain your jobs choice.
- How can we reduce child labor? Explain why it is important to take care of our young generation and what suggestions you would offer to reduce child labor.
3. The Conclusion of child labor essays should summarize everything that was said in the Body. It should present the final idea that you have come up to while conducting your research. It should make a point by approving or disapproving your thesis statement. Don’t repeat the main thesis of your essay, but rather sum up all your arguments.
Well, we hope that now you have some ideas on what to write about . Nevertheless, if you still need some help with writing, you can always ask experienced Custom-Writing experts for assistance!
All custom written papers are professional, well-structured, and cover the material in-depth. All you need to place an order is fill out a short order form and provide your instructions, make a payment (PayPal is available) and grab your papers. Enjoy your free time and let our experts take care of your assignments.
How old were you when you got your first job? Was it hard? Share with us your experience and advice in comments below!