Corruption is a phenomenon which can occur in any country in the world.
No matter if the country is poor or prosperous, democratic or authoritarian, big or small – it will not avoid corruption.
The cost of corruption in the world is estimated at approximately 1 trillion dollars; meanwhile, about 1 billion people live in conditions of extreme poverty.
1. 💰 Essay on Corruption: Main Types
Your essay will have to discuss this problem and offer possible solutions to reduce it.
Do not be afraid to express your opinion on particular ways of fighting corruption.
Before you start to write an essay on corruption, you should understand that there are several types of corruption.
They include the following:
1.1. Political Corruption
This is the most common point that students discuss when writing an essay on a corruption topic.
In a few words, this phenomenon refers to practices used by government officials to take advantage of their power for personal gain. In most countries, it is regarded to be illegal.
Yet, in your assignment, you can write that in some countries, this phenomenon is common and that the citizens, who have gotten accustomed to it, consider corruption to be the norm for government officials.
So let’s look at the main features of a political corruption.
Whether you choose to write a general anti-corruption essay or prefer to narrow the topic down—to corruption in India, for example—you first need to gather a lot of information. Every idea you add to your writing should be supported with quotes or statistics. And don’t forget to proofread it by Grammarly!
A paper could cover many kinds of breaches of the law, each of which can become an attractive topic.
Wonder what these breaches are?
Continue reading to find out!
1.2 Data Corruption
This type of corruption appears when a person somehow damages computer data, either intentionally or unintentionally. It’s a serious topic in our modern world, and you can easily narrow it down for an effective essay.
For example, you can explain how a regular user can save computer data from damage. Or you could discuss the consequences of data corruption.
The causes of corruption would also be a perfect topic for a speech. You can break down to the audience various tricks that people use to damage data and all the mistakes they can make while doing so.
1.3. Linguistic Corruption
If you’re learning a foreign language at the university, you will probably have the chance to write on a topic like this.
Linguistic corruption refers to a change within a language that leads to its degradation.
As a writer, you should learn how to help language remain powerful and rich. In an opinion essay on linguistic degradation, describe every tool you can use for fighting the corruption of language. You can even develop some anti-corruption slogans, which would fit flawlessly into a persuasive essay.
You shouldn’t have any problems describing this phenomenon.
You can choose one of these types for your essay on corruption. Now, let’s learn about the forms of this problem.
2. 💲 Main Forms
Now, here’s a list of common illegal acts – you can use it in your “black money” paper.
Corruption can take different forms, such as:
- Bribery – the act of receiving money or other valuable things in exchange for using power or influence in an illegal way
- Graft – the use of power or influence for personal purposes
- Extortion – the use of threats or violence to get some benefit
- Kickback – the act of paying commission to a bribe-taker for some service
- Cronyism – the assignment of unqualified friends or relatives to job positions
- Embezzlement – theft of government’s money.
You should carefully think about the effects of corruption on the country in your essay writing on corruption.
Corruption seriously undermines democracy and the good name of political institutions. The economic, political, and social effects of corruption are hard to estimate. But you should try to do it in your expository assignment on corruption.
When discussing the effects of this problem in your corruption essay in English, do not forget to include statistics and other significant data.
Every paragraph should include a thesis and several pieces of supporting evidence. To make them fit together, use analysis and critical thinking.
Political corruption is a severe problem that needs to be solved. Every year, it causes many issues worldwide because of people who abuse their powers and devastate their countries.
Use interesting facts and compelling arguments to earn your audience’s attention while writing a corruption and development essay.
3. 💸 Free Essay on Corruption: 250 Words
If you’re assigned with a short paper of 250 words and have no idea where to start, you can check the example written by our academic experts. As you can see below, it is written in easy words. Use simple English to explain to your readers the “black money” phenomenon in easy language.
Another point you should keep in mind when checking our short essay on corruption of 250 words, is that despite the low word count, the structure remains the same. It has an introductory paragraph including a thesis statement, body section, and a conclusion that summarizes all the points mentioned in the body.
Now, take a look at our essay sample and inspire!
4. 📝 Sample 500 Words Essay on Corruption
Cause and effect essay is among the most common paper types for students. In case you’re composing this kind of paper, you should research the reasons for corruption. You can investigate factors that led to this phenomenon in a certain country.
Use the data from the official sources, for example, Transparency International. There is plenty of evidence for your thesis statement on corruption and points you will include in the body section. Also, you can use headlines to separate one cause from another. Doing so will help your readers to browse through the text easily. Check our essay on corruption of 500 words below to see how our experts utilize headlines.
5. 📋 1000 Words Corruption Essay With Outline
Some students think that 1000 word paper is too long and too hard to write. But, we will share the secret that will help you to complete any assignment, regardless of its length, with ease.
The secret is…an outline. Yes, you should write your best essay on corruption with an outline. Outlining will help you to structure your paper and get an idea of what points and arguments you will use in each paragraph.
Examine our сorruption essay of 1000 words to see how a properly structured paper facilitates your comprehension of the topic.
6. 💡 20 Best Essay Topics on Corruption
Another key to successful creative writing on corruption is choosing an interesting topic. There are plenty of ideas to use in your paper. And here are some topic suggestions for your writing:
- What is corruption? An essay should tell the readers about the essentials of this phenomenon and the factors that impact its growth or reduce.
- How to fight corruption? Your essay can provide ideas on how to reduce the effects of this problem. If you write an argumentative paper, state your arguments, and give supporting evidence. For example, you can research the countries with the lowest corruption index and how they fight with it.
- I say “no” to corruption. This can be a great topic for your narrative essay. Describe a situation from your life when you’re faced with this type of malfeasance.
- Corruption in our country. An essay can be dedicated, for example, to corruption in India, or in Pakistan. Learn more about its causes and how different countries fight with it.
- Graft and corruption. We already mentioned the definition of graft. Explore various examples of grafts, e.g., using the personal influence of politicians as a way to put pressure on public service journalists. Provide your vision of the causes of corruption. The essay should include strong evidence.
- Corruption in society. Investigate how the tolerance to “black money” crimes impact economics in developing countries.
- How to stop corruption? In your essay, provide suggestions on how society can prevent this problem. What efficient ways can you propose?
- The reasons that lead to the corrupt police. Assess how the bribery impacts the crime rate. You can use a case of Al Capone as supporting evidence.
- Literature and corruption. Choose a literary masterpiece and analyze how the author addresses the theme of crime. You can check our sample paper on Pushkin’s “The Queen of Spades?”
- How does power affect politicians’? In your essay on corruption and its causes, provide your observations on ideas about why people who hold power allow the grafts.
- Systemic corruption in the Republic of China. China has one of the strictest laws pertaining to this issue. However, crime still exists. Research this topic and provide your observations on the reasons.
- The success of Asian Tigers. Explore how the four countries reduced corruption crime rates. What is the secret of their success? What can we learn from them?
- Lee Kuan Yew and his fight against corruption. Research how Singapore’s legislation influenced the elimination of this crime.
- Corruption in education. Examine the types of corruption in higher education institutions. Why does it occur?
- Gifts and bribes. You may choose to analyze the ethical side of gifts in business. Can it be a bribe? In what cases?
- Cronyism and nepotism in business. Examine these forms of corruption as a part of Chinese culture.
- Kickbacks and bribery. How do these two terms are related, and what are the ways to prevent them?
- Corporate fraud. Examine the bribery, payoffs, and kickbacks as a phenomenon in the business world. Point out the similarities and differences.
- Anti-bribery compliance in corporations. Explore how transnational companies fight with the misuse of funds by contractors from developing countries.
- The ethical side of payoffs. How can payoffs harm someone’s reputation? Provide your point of view of why this type of corporate fraud is unethical.
7. ✍️ How to Write an Essay on Corruption
Now, let’s focus on writing about corruption. What are the features of your future paper? What elements should you include in your writing? Below, we will show you the general essay on corruption sample and explain the importance of each part:
You already chose the paper topic. What’s next? The next step is to create an outline for your future writing. The outline is a plan for your paper. At this step, you sketch out the skeleton: define what to write in the introduction, what points to discuss in the body section, and what to put into the conclusion. Check the notes you made during your research to see what point you will use in the paper.
If you’re going to write a long-form essay, we suggest you break it into parts and use headings for each part.
The next step is to develop the thesis statement about corruption and the introduction of the essay. Here, you should give your readers a brief description of the problem and provide a thesis. You can always update and change it when finishing the paper.
In the body section, you will provide the main points and supporting evidence. The important elements of any paper are quotes. You may use direct quotes when writing the paper with quotations, but remember to use quotation marks. However, if you want to use a whole paragraph from your source, as a supporting argument to your ideas, you should cite it. Check the professor’s guidelines regarding the preferred citation style.
Take a look at this example of in-text citation:
In your corruption essay conclusion, you should restate the thesis and summarize your findings. You can also provide recommendations for future research on the paper topic. Keep the conclusion clear and short. It can be one or two paragraphs long.
Don’t forget to include a reference list of all sources you used to write this paper. By the way, some citation tools allow creating a reference list in pdf or Word formats.
But what if you need to write a short speech on corruption?
Let’s find out the key elements of this type of work.
8 🎤 How to Write a Speech on Corruption
Corruption topics are not only common among essay writers— but they’re also an important subject for speeches. Your speech can be persuasive but also contain many descriptive details.
Or you could write an anti-corruption speech to convince the audience not to support bribes or kickbacks.
Here are some helpful tips about making a good speech:
8.1. Use Short Sentences When Speaking to the Audience
Political issues are often challenging to follow because they contain many terms, explanations, and dates.
As a speaker, your task is to make it easy for the audience to follow your main ideas—so use clear, short sentences.
8.2. Explain Every Term You Use in Your Speech
Remember that politics can be difficult for many people to comprehend. If you want to persuade your audience, they first need to understand every word.
If your speech for corruption is just a list of terms that are even difficult to pronounce, why would people listen to it?
8.3. Read Your Speech Topic Aloud
You’ll need to present your speech in front of an audience, which means it should be captivating, easy to follow, and well structured.
Moreover, you should say what you have to say without mistakes or pauses.
Spend some time practicing by reading your speech aloud, and don’t forget that you may have a time limit for your presentation.
8.4. Always Write Outlines for Your Speech
While writing a speech, you have to focus on many different goals: format, content, language, style, and more.
It’s easy to miss something important and make a mess of your topic.
Do you know how to avoid this problem?
It’s easy: write outlines!
When you have written down which political issue follows which corruption paragraph, you won’t forget to mention anything.
Every idea will find its natural place in the text.
8.5. Support Your Thesis Statement About Corruption
If you want to write the best speech on corruption, never forget to argue your ideas effectively.
Use newspaper articles quotes on corruption, court orders, and interviews to support your point of view.
You won’t ever convince your audience by using only theory.
Corruption is a complex phenomenon. You will not be able to discuss all its aspects in your essay on corruption.
Thus, think carefully, choose the most important or interesting aspects, and discuss them in detail.
These invaluable tips will help you to get through any kind of essay.
You are welcome to use these ideas and writing tips whenever you need to write this type of academic paper.
This might be interesting for you: