In a classification essay, you divide the subject into categories. To create these categories, you single out certain attributes of things. You can classify them according to their characteristics, themes, or traits.
Sounds complicated? Be sure that any high school or college student can manage this type of essay!
This article gives you a wide variety of classification essay ideas. It also provides tips for writing an on-point paper. And remember, our custom writing team is always ready to help you with your assignments.
✅ How to Write a Classification Essay
The purpose of a classification essay is to deliver a clear presentation of a subject. You do it by dividing the subject into categories. Then, you arrange the information into groups in a logical sequence. Follow these steps, and you’ll be able to write an excellent classification essay:
- Choose a topic. Pick one of the topics presented below or make up your own.
- Come up with a thesis. It needs to be an attention-grabbing sentence. Most importantly, it should reflect the main purpose of your paper. Take your time with this one.
- Write an outline. This is an essential step. In the outline, arrange all your main points in a logical sequence. It will ensure that your argument makes sense. Besides, it will help to make your essay flow.
- Tip: Classification essay outline consist of an introduction, three categories, and a conclusion.
- Make a rough draft. Research the topic and write down your thoughts. Then fill out each category with the information you’ve found. Finally, come up with a compelling conclusion.
- Tip: At this stage, feel free to make changes in your outline or thesis. Be sure to keep the logical flow of your essay.
- Write a fantastic classification essay. Continue to polish the draft paragraph by paragraph. Don’t forget to provide examples for each category. Also, make sure that everything you’ve written is connected with the thesis.
- Proofread and turn in. Go over your paper a few times, and let one or two peers read it. Correct it if necessary, and turn it in!
🍎 Health and Nutrition Classification Ideas
There are so many things to classify when it comes to food and wellness. Think of different diets, sports activities, and self-care methods. All these are your options when choosing a topic for a classification essay.
- What products can be included in a vegan diet to get enough protein?
- Find out what foods are essential for athletes.
- Research healthy meal plan ideas for college students.
- What are the best nutritious breakfast options for teenagers?
- What foods can potentially prolong our lives?
- Weight loss activities that don’t require a gym membership.
- Research various diets that help lose weight.
- Benefits of switching from junk food to home-cooked meals.
- Types of vitamins necessary for a healthy body.
- Research the most effective ways to treat damaged hair.
- What foods should one give up to prevent diabetes?
- Ways to protect knees and back while exercising.
- What things should young people do to remain healthy in old age?
- Consequences of not drinking enough water.
- What minerals are essential for a person’s health?
- How to receive enough carbohydrates without gaining extra weight.
- What are the most common diet myths?
- What can an office worker do to keep their body healthy?
- Things everyone should know to be protected from HIV.
- Benefits of including fruit and vegetables in one’s daily ration.
🤔 Psychology Classification Essay Topics
Psychology focuses on the human brain and behavior. This discipline combines medicine and philosophy, so there are several approaches to it. You can write about emotions, attitudes, and therapy methods. Or, take a scientific approach and discuss the biological side of disorders.
Feel free to pick one of these classification essay ideas on psychology:
- What events are most likely to cause post-traumatic disorders?
- Types of therapies in modern psychology.
- What factors contribute to depression amongst Americans?
- What causes anxiety among college students?
- Most common childhood mental disorders.
- Types of behavior disorders.
- What are the most effective ways of overcoming anxiety?
- Research various types and causes of the most common phobias.
- Ways of befriending a person with a disorder.
- How the COVID-19 pandemic could affect one’s emotional state.
- What factors contribute to the global developmental delay?
- What are the 3 types of communication disorders?
- How a person with ADHD can remain a functional member of society.
- Ways of coping with BPD in everyday life.
- How the film industry misrepresents mental disorders.
- How can a teenager overcome anorexic tendencies?
- Research different causes of sleep disorders in the U.S.
- What are the symptoms of compulsive gambling?
- What are the most successful methods of treating OCD?
- How the society should treat a person with a mental illness.
🧑🏻🤝🧑🏽 Society Essay Ideas
A society consists of individuals who share surroundings, interactions, and culture. People are complicated, and so are the societies they live in. Here are several topic ideas for classification essay that touch on various sociological aspects:
- How is modern youth different from previous generations?
- What values should a society have to live in harmony?
- Research the specifics of the most populated U.S. states.
- What are the elements of American culture?
- Write about the leading causes of large-scale conflicts.
- How the food industry affects our lifestyle.
- Research the main categories of social groups and their functions.
- How does the music industry influence today’s teenagers?
- What new social trends appeared after COVID-19 pandemic?
- What are the most fun ways to socialize with friends?
- Why the elderly don’t always receive proper medical assistance.
- How can a country recover from an extended period of social unrest?
- Write about the necessary aspects of interpersonal relationships.
- National holidays that have shaped the U.S. as a nation.
- What traditions can help a family to maintain loving relationships?
- Common traits between all sports fan groups.
- What challenges do law enforcement members face daily?
- Ways to introduce latest trends via social media.
- What makes a good U.S. citizen?
- Research how businesses grab the attention of modern customers.
🧪 Science Classification Topics
Science continuously challenges our mindset. It also provides endless knowledge about the world. Today, there are an enormous number of scientific disciplines. Each one of them is further classified into sub-categories. Classification is at the core of science, so don’t hesitate to break down one of the following essay topics:
- What are the main vaccines that every person should get?
- What are the positive effects of vaccines on the human body?
- Reasons why nanotechnology is effective in treating cancer patients.
- What accessible technologies are able to improve eyesight?
- What are the health effects of chemicals used in food packaging?
- The uses of satellite communication.
- Research the branches of biological sciences.
- What are the known types of black holes?
- What disproves that life exists on other planets?
- The most important rocket launches in history.
- Discuss the communication methods invented over the last fifty years.
- Research types of telescopes that are currently used.
- Things most people don’t know about smartphones.
- What are the modern ways of overcoming allergies?
- Main branches of ecology.
- What are the effects of computer technologies on the human brain?
- Research the most important inventions in computer science.
- What branches of technology are actively using radio waves?
- Uses of geomagnetic field in science.
- How is face recognition technology used by businesses and the government?
📜 History Classification Topics
History is full of exciting events, dramatic turns, and cautionary tales. It also includes life stories of remarkable people who made a difference. Consider these classification essay topics and prompts on history:
- How can political leaders maintain peace and security?
- Inventions of the Roman Empire that we still use today.
- Reasons why the Mayan civilization was highly influential.
- The most celebrated episodes in Britain’s history.
- Types of revolutions that took place in Europe.
- Discuss the countries that formed the Soviet Union.
- The most significant U.S. presidents.
- Research ancient philosophers who laid the foundations for psychology.
- Reasons why Julius Caesar is one of the greatest leaders in history.
- The most significant accomplishments of Leonardo Da Vinci.
- Abraham Lincoln’s legacy in the American constitution and culture.
- Milestones of Adolf Hitler’s rise and fall.
- What are the greatest achievements of Che Guevara?
- Discuss the nicknames Americans give to their presidents.
- The most successful military commanders in world history.
- Research the most significant wars of the African continent.
- What were the main types of ancient warfare?
- Customs that laid the foundation of modern holidays.
- Different types of printing techniques.
- Sources of information about the Seven Wonders of the Ancient world.
🎨 Art Classification Topics
People have always expressed themselves in creative ways. Art has many branches, varieties of styles, techniques, and meanings. In your essay, focus on a specific aspect of art. This list of topics can inspire a great classification essay:
- The main types of classical music.
- Research the musical trends that emerged in the last hundred years.
- Ways in which Mozart influenced the music industry.
- Music as a way to express national character.
- The most prominent painting techniques.
- What are the ways of using glaze in art?
- What online outlets do modern artists use to express themselves?
- Research the greatest Renaissance artists.
- Reasons why graffiti is an art form.
- Describe various styles of icon painting.
- What are the main stages of film production?
- Describe the most popular movie genres.
- What contributed to Bollywood’s worldwide popularity?
- What are the unique features of South-American art?
- In what ways did Asian art influence the world?
- Reasons why it is important to have art classes in every school.
- Variations of art therapy and its effect on human behavior.
- Themes of Frida Kahlo’s paintings.
- Research various literature genres from around the world.
- How classical music and theater take inspiration from literature.
⚽ Classification Essay Topics: Sports
Physical activity is an essential part of life. Some people see sports as a hobby, some as a daily disciple, and others view it as a career. This section has various classification essay topics on sports that will inspire a great thesis statement and a successful paper:
- Research different kinds of water sports.
- Requirements for the most popular winter sports.
- Main types of weight training.
- The most absurd extreme activities.
- Write about American professional soccer leagues.
- What are the different kinds of team sports?
- What are the modern Olympic Games?
- Famous car racing competitions.
- Mind sports that emerged in recent decades.
- The greatest athletes of all time.
- Research the most recent Guinness World Records in Sports.
- Sports included in the very first Olympic Games.
- The highlights of the Olympic Games of a specific year.
- Research recently invented kinds of sports.
- Challenges faced by the Olympic athletes.
- What kinds of sports can parents consider for their children?
- The most popular ball games.
- Write about the reasons why Esports are in the sports category.
- Different types of gyms.
- What attitudes are important for athletes?
We hope that you found this article useful. Now you’re ready to write an excellent classification essay!
Good luck with your assignment!