An opinion essay requires a student to present a point of view on a chosen subject and back it up with substantial evidence. Like in a debate, the writer has to give their opinion and defend it while using scholarly resources.
This article will help you find the best opinion essay topic. You’ll be able to choose between various fields of interests such as sports, history, or culture. And remember: our custom writing service is always there for you in case you need help with any paper.
☝️ How to Choose an Opinion Essay Topic
With opinion essays, the challenge comes in finding the right topic, doing the research, and giving it an academic frame. But no need to worry! If you find an interesting topic to write about, the rest will flow. So, how do you find a good topic?
Each person has their opinions on different subjects. Determining the area of personal interest will help narrow down the choice of essay topics. Besides, Purdue University recommends brainstorming as a way to choose and adjust the topic. To do it, you write down all ideas that come into your mind. Somewhere among these ideas you may find your perfect topic, as well as supporting points.
📢 Public Opinion Essay Topics
Public opinion involves shared beliefs, desires, and reasoning of the majority. It is usually detected by various polls, which can be a useful resource for your future paper. Keep in mind that public opinion is often concerned with politics. And it might change very quickly! Choose a viewpoint that has been consistent over time. Take a look at these public opinion topics:
- News channels can no longer be trusted.
- The U.S. government has to make health insurance more affordable.
- Legalizing cannabis does more damage than good.
- Domestic violence is damaging America.
- The high cost of education keeps Americans from the “American dream.”
- The safety of national parks cannot be compromised.
- Social media encourages division in the U.S.
- Is the value of family in the U.S. compromised?
- The U.S. must treat massive depression as a public health issue.
- Schools should help parents control the screen time of teenagers.
- America is fed up with fake news.
- There is a resolution to economic inequality in the U.S.
- Did the U.S. respond well to the COVID-19 pandemic?
- Can Americans trust the voting system?
- The public transportation system is inconvenient in most parts of the U.S.
- The government should not use DNA testing results.
- Not all policemen are corrupt.
- Will America ever be satisfied with its president?
- The government has to react towards the spread of homelessness in the U.S.
- Is the U.S. middle class getting overpowered by the upper class?
🙋🏻 Personal Opinion Essay Topics
As you can guess, a personal opinion essay will flow from the writer’s convictions or concerns. Examine yourself and develop a clear position on a chosen issue. The following list is for essay assignment as well as opinion editorial topics.
- Social media is feeding depression amongst teenagers.
- Respect is the key to success in life.
- Should there be room for ethics in close friendships?
- Self-pity leads to self-damage.
- The education system has to provide healthier meals.
- Should homework occupy all the free time of college students?
- Rest is essential for academic success.
- Traveling widens one’s worldview.
- Journaling has a positive effect on one’s emotional state.
- Cultural shock within your own country is real.
- Students should be allowed to use e-books in class.
- Is my school a safe place?
- Academic dishonesty can lead to a destructive lifestyle.
- Modern businesses don’t need an office.
- Should the driving age be moved to 18 years?
- Military training positively affects one’s character.
- Angry parenting is dysfunctional.
- Is time management suitable for everybody?
- Energy drinks: pros and cons.
- Clothes affect one’s mood and performance.
- Should schools have sports as mandatory?
- Is a yearbook worth the effort?
📜 Opinion Topics in History
Human history is full of important events and individuals that are worthy of notice. Topics concerning wars, civil riots, political decisions, or specific individuals often split opinion. The opinion essay topics in history might involve questions about morals, reasonability of choices, sacrifice, and heroism. Here are some topic examples.
- Is it ethical to charge people for visiting museums?
- The Sons of Liberty played a crucial role in U.S. history.
- Gender equality in education stirred up a positive change in society.
- Did the election of the African American president influence the issue of racism?
- American initiative made the fight for diversity possible.
- Americans take the 9/11 tragedy personally.
- Holocaust was a catastrophe for humanity.
- The Renaissance art is still influencing us today.
- Catholic Church has played a vital role in world history.
- Is there less violence in the world now than it was in the Roman empire?
- The U.S. should’ve switched to the metric system long ago.
- The industrial revolution: pros and cons.
- World countries teach different stories about World War II.
- Will humanity ever come to a war-free time?
- Does Asian culture dominate the world?
- Dyslexia didn’t get on the way to Da Vinci’s success.
- Middle age doctors should’ve listened to Hippocrates about abnormal behaviors.
- Tea has connected cultures throughout the ages.
- Can obsessive book reading in past centuries be called an addiction?
- International trade is an ancient means of cross-cultural connections.
🌎 Environment Opinion Topics to Write About
The environment affects all people, which makes it an important topic. Some people take this subject too lightly; others are taking environmental problems personally. It is an excellent field for the opinion essay because it generates controversial views. One of these topics might seem compelling to you.
- Is it possible to grow organic food on a polluted planet?
- Is mass-produced chicken healthy?
- Can wildfires be prevented?
- Can solar-powered batteries solve the problem of air pollution?
- Recycling must be mandatory worldwide.
- Can deforestation be prevented?
- The government has to invest in curing the soil.
- Organic fertilizers should replace chemicals.
- U.N. countries must resolve the problem of polluted oceans.
- Abandoned buildings have to be reused.
- Local government must preserve public parks.
- Does air pollution slow down the advancement of astronomy?
- Can an individual make a difference in the environment?
- Does air traveling contribute to air pollution?
- Is the animal exhibition threatening for the environment?
- Light pollution carries massive consequences.
- Radical global change is worth saving the planet.
- Do modern cemeteries contribute to soil pollution?
- Ecology-saving projects must be well-funded.
🤔 Thought-Provoking Topics for Essays
If you are looking for a topic that will stir up a range of emotions and thoughts in your reader, this category is for you. At its core, the opinion essay is about sharing one’s standpoint. A good essay can make the audience reconsider their views on the subject. Take a look at the list of thought-provoking topics for intriguing writing.
- Does social media normalize hateful behavior?
- Can a woman pursue a career and be a good mother?
- Will there be iPhone-level inventions in the future?
- Can suicide rates amongst the elderly be lowered?
- Should there be cyber police?
- Should technological progress happen at the expense of people’s health?
- Is it possible to stop global human trafficking?
- Schools must maintain sex education.
- Can children be allowed to engage in hard labor by free choice?
- Are zoos ethical?
- Religious beliefs have a positive effect on one’s character.
- The medicine that causes suicidal ideations should be banned.
- Movies create a disturbing image of people with psychological abnormalities.
- Should parents have mandatory classes on parenting?
- Each family has to take care of elderly relatives.
- Will artificial intelligence lead the world into chaos?
- Can people make free choices in the presence of online ads?
- Modern fashion normalizes promiscuous clothing.
- Should abstract painters be paid millions?
- Is it ethical to lie to children?
🧒 Opinion Paper Topics: Elementary
Opinion writing isn’t just for college, and opinion sharing isn’t for adults only. There are many subjects that students of all ages can write about because they too have personal views. If you are looking for an easy topic for an elementary, middle, or high school assignment, this list is for you.
- Should a person control their screen time?
- Are vegetarians healthier than meat-eaters?
- Should schools have a uniform?
- Does cybersport have benefits?
- Homework: pros and cons.
- Should children be required to do chores at home?
- Does reading books improve academic abilities?
- Do emojis help people express themselves better?
- Group assignments: pros and cons.
- Social media promotes an unrealistic lifestyle.
- Prom should be fun, not stressful.
- Can bullying be prevented?
- Schools should include road trips in their curriculum.
- Should smartphones be allowed in class?
- Will e-books replace paper books?
- Daily sport exercise is necessary for health.
- Classical music has a positive effect on one’s thinking.
- Can music be taught online?
- Every child should be allowed to have a pet.
- Pocket money can teach children about finances.
- Chocolate is good for brain activity.
- Long school breaks: pros and cons.
- Every person has to take painting classes.
⚽ Opinion Essay Topics: Sports
Countless people are into sports. Some are athletes themselves, and some are rooters. The sports industry is almost its own universe. It has its expressions, philosophies, techniques, and even special nutrition. Sport is a deep subject that is often at the center of a debate. Here is a list of sports-related topics for opinion paragraphs that will boost your paper:
- Athletic success depends on proper nutrition.
- Is there life for athletes after retirement?
- Do serious injuries justify athletic achievements?
- Successful coaches build successful teams.
- Should cheerleading be considered a sport?
- Do professional athletes get paid too much?
- Do Olympic games bring more unity or strive between countries?
- Should athletes continue receiving full-ride scholarships?
- Is animal sport ethical?
- Do sports psychologists contribute to team achievements?
- Is pausing playing sports a good thing?
- Quality shoes are essential for quality results in sports.
- Do queer colors play a psychological role in sports?
- Should Super Ball winners be considered world champions?
- College athletes deserve professional coaches.
- Do athletes have a lower rate of depression?
- Athletes in gymnastics are at risk of developing eating disorders.
- Are wealthy people good at golf?
- Quality helmets save lives of winter sports athletes.
- Are basketball players more vulnerable to racist discrimination?
- Water sports are no more dangerous than other kinds of sports.
🎨 Opinion Essay Topics on Culture
You may be wondering how to choose a topic on culture. Since this subject involves things such as language, religion, mentality, and art, there are many viewpoints to be shared. Which part of culture do you value the most? Take a look at these opinion piece topic options:
- Does the internet influence global fashion trends?
- Monuments have a crucial role in preserving the essence of the culture.
- American patriotism: pros and cons.
- The movie industry is a storehouse for cultural memories.
- Can video editing be considered a form of art?
- The internet makes music worldwide sound the same.
- Food carries cultural memories throughout the centuries.
- Language reflects the cultural mindset.
- Cultural superstitions are the echo of national history.
- Does religion affect legal systems?
- Primary religion directs national values.
- American inclusiveness: pros and cons.
- Accent diversity in the U.S. mirrors its individualistic core.
- Celebrities have the power to influence public opinion.
- Is drug use becoming a part of the U.S. culture?
- Physical books cannot die out.
- Will classical music ever become outdated?
- America carries out Abraham Lincoln’s legacy to this day.
- Gender equality changes the global culture.
- Two political sides in the U.S.: pros and cons.
- Should America deal with high divorce rates?
Good luck on your opinion essay! And before you go, don’t forget to check our ultimate guide on opinion essay writing.