Throughout your high school years, you are likely to write many evaluative papers. In an evaluation essay you aim is to justify your point of view through evidence.
In many ways it resembles a position paper or an argumentative essay. The difference is that in an evaluation essay you assess the characteristics of a subject. You base your evaluation on specific criteria. You also use well-researched evidence to support your argument. In other words, it’s a lot like writing a review.
Below you will find a variety of evaluation essay topics and tips. But first, be sure to check our custom writing service. Our team is always there to help you with any academic paper!
🔝 Top 10 Evaluation Essay Topics
- What makes the SAT reliable?
- Effectiveness of online education
- Are news broadcasts still relevant?
- The role of videos in digital marketing
- Effect of team sports on job performance
- Why are athletic scholarships important?
- Is playing sports more engaging than watching it?
- Have social media positively affected art promotion?
- The role of technology in modern music production
- The impact of the parenting style on children’s school performance
⭐ Top 10 Evaluative Essay Topics 2023
|🪙||Reliability of bitcoins|
|🏫||Private schools vs. public schools|
|✅||How accurate are personality tests?|
|🖥️||Are online self-study resources efficient?|
|🎓||The education system in the US vs. the UK|
|📚||Pros and cons of a peer-mentoring program|
|🌐||Social media’s contribution to the globalization|
|📺||Can a TV show reflect a country’s culture well?|
|⌚||Smartwatches’ contribution to a healthy lifestyle|
|🛎️||The COVID-19 pandemic’s effect on hospitality business|
🎨 Art Evaluation Essay Topics
When it comes to art, you can analyze different art movements and artworks. It is also possible to write a review based on the impact of an artist. Or, you can critique an art piece, such as a sculpture.
- Discuss the importance of jewelry for the Aztecs.
- Assess the influence of Surrealism and Impressionism on society.
- Critique the role of technology in modern art.
- Examine the Sistine Chapel ceiling painted by Michelangelo.
- How is the war represented in Picasso’s Guernica?
- Assess the use of social media as an art form.
- Analyze the female representation on The Birth of Venus.
- How does Velázquez represent political leaders?
- Review the color scheme of Goya’s Black Paintings.
- Determine the meaning behind The Return of the Prodigal Son.
- Discuss religious motifs in Rembrandt’s works.
- Assess the impact of Realism on modern society.
- Analyze The Third of May 1808 and its historical background.
- Examine the concept of time in The Persistence of Memory.
- Review the humanistic representation in Raphael’s The School of Athens.
- What are the historical aspects of Rubens’ paintings?
- Representation of nature on Romantic paintings.
- Analyze the composition of Liberty Leading the People.
- Determine the peculiarities of Renaissance paintings.
- Examine the impact of the Neoclassical movement on art.
- The importance of color in Joaquín Sorolla’s paintings.
- Evaluate Fernando Botero’s animal sculptures in Medellín.
- What makes Georgia O’Keeffe’s paintings unique?
⚽ Evaluative Essay Topics on Sports
There are many aspects in sports that you can evaluate. For instance, you can discuss the spectator experience during a race. Other examples include analyzing a team’s or an athlete’s performance during a particular game.
- Evaluate Ernesto Valverde’s work with the Barcelona team in the 2017/2018 season.
- Examine Messi’s performance in the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
- What distinguishes Real Madrid’s games with and without Cristiano Ronaldo?
- What characteristics are necessary for playing basketball?
- Assess the rules of cricket.
- What are the requirements for curling?
- Review the volleyball program for kids in your city.
- Discuss the ethical issues of pressuring children to play sports.
- Swimming as a children’s sport.
- What requirements should Olympic participants meet?
- The experience of watching a game live.
- What are the controversial aspects of athletic scholarships?
- Evaluate the health benefits of playing tennis.
- Analyze LeBron James’ performance in the 2018 NBA season.
- What distinguishes Tiger Woods as a golfer?
- The importance of one’s medical history for participation in marathons.
- Serena Williams’s performance in the 2019 Wimbledon final.
- What are the cheerleading requirements of your university?
- The role of commentators in watching sports.
- Review the equipment and training necessary for snorkeling.
- Evaluate the experience of a car race spectator.
- How do soccer fans in your hometown behave during game action?
- Health benefits of doing Zumba.
- The importance of flexibility in gymnastics.
- How a healthy diet affects sports training.
- The impact of an athlete’s mental health on their performance.
- Examine the benefits of dancing ballet.
🎓 Evaluative Essay Topics about School
If you’re an aspiring teacher, consider writing an essay on education. Consider comparing different teaching methods and exam types. Additionally, these topics may help you create a thesis proposal.
- Efficacy of K-12 grading system.
- How multiple-choice tests affect students’ performance.
- Review the importance of holistic admissions for universities.
- The Finnish educational system and its impact on kids.
- The effect of liberal arts education on students.
- Examine how power distance affects classroom interaction.
- The importance of attending an international school.
- What are the benefits of providing feedback to teachers?
- Are tutoring programs for children with disabilities effective?
- Examine the impact of working while taking college courses.
- Review the physical education program in your school.
- What are the pros and cons of having a college degree?
- Examine your school’s inclusivity.
- Why updating the school’s curriculum yearly is important.
- Analyze how principals influence student achievement.
- Examine the benefits of taking notes on paper.
- School detentions: effective or not?
- How participation in community service influences students.
- The reality of living in a sorority house.
- Review the impact of joining a school club.
- Evaluate how your school’s art program fosters student creativity.
- The effects of using technology in second language learning.
- Examine your school’s required reading list.
- What are the qualities of a good teacher?
🔬 Science Evaluation Essay Topics
Science is an excellent subject for an evaluation paper. You can choose to review scientific experiments or inventions. Keep in mind that these topics require in-depth research.
- Ethics of Pavlov’s classical conditioning experiments.
- Are painkillers dangerous?
- Examine the use of vaccines in children.
- How electricity changed our society.
- The impact of penicillin discovery on the scientific community.
- What are the effects of nuclear energy on the environment?
- The legacy of Marie Curie’s radiation discovery.
- Evaluate the benefits of x-ray use in medicine.
- Analyze the risks of using a pacemaker.
- Nikola Tesla’s contributions to science.
- Review the influence of Newton’s laws of motion.
- How Alexander Graham Bell’s telephone changed the world.
- What are the main achievements of James Watt?
- Karl Benz’s first motor car and its impact on society.
- Evaluate Philo Taylor Farnsworth’s electronic television.
- Explain how Albert Einstein’s theory of relativity defined modern physicists.
- The quality of first photographic images.
- Review the challenges of the early Internet.
- Egyptian papyrus paper as a writing material.
- Can electric batteries be dangerous?
- Discuss the role of microscopes in modern medicine.
- Pros and cons of typewriters.
- How Charles Darwin’s evolutionary theory challenged society.
- Review the influence of Henry Ford’s assembly line on modern factories.
📚 Evaluation Topics on Literature
Literary works make for great evaluation essay topics. Consider critically evaluating a short story, a novel, or a poem. For your paper, you can choose to analyze an entire text. Or, choose a specific aspect, such as a character’s speech patterns.
- The personality of Sherlock Holmes in The Adventure of The Dancing Men.
- What’s the role of symbolism in Ibsen’s A Doll’s House?
- How the setting in Frankenstein compliments the narrative.
- Evaluate the plot of Ray Bradbury’s All Summer in a Day.
- The themes of Medea and Oedipus Rex.
- What makes the narrator in Markus Zusak’s The Book Thief unique.
- Discuss Monsieur Lantin’s actions in The Jewelry by Guy de Maupassant.
- The use of dialogue in The Rime of the Ancient Mariner.
- Evaluate the main characters in The Maze Runner and Divergent.
- Shakespeare’s use of the iambic pentameter in Macbeth.
- Realistic representation of society in Cipotes by Ramón Amaya Amador.
- What makes the rhythmic pattern in José Zorrilla’s Don Juan Tenorio peculiar?
- The function of the setting in Isabel Allende’s City of Beasts.
- The narrator’s character development in Invisible Man.
- Examine the theme of war in Virginia Woolf’s Mrs. Dalloway.
- Interactions between Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy in Pride and Prejudice.
- The Help by Kathryn Stockett and its historical background.
- Review the external conflicts in Shakespeare’s The Tempest.
🎥 Evaluation Topics about Movies
If you are a film lover, then this section is for you. Write a critical review of a film based on cinematography, costume designs, or genre. If you want your essay to be strictly academic, choose amongst the most influential movies.
- Evaluate the cinematography of A Trip to the Moon.
- How well does the movie To Kill a Mockingbird represent the book?
- Examine the influence of the original Star Wars trilogy on science fiction.
- Critique the legacy of The Arrival of a Train.
- How Gertie the Dinosaur revolutionized animation.
- Assess the costume designs in The Wizard of Oz.
- What was the impact of Disney’s Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs?
- Examine the use of music in Seven Samurai.
- The Jazz Singer‘s sound synchronization.
- How did Nanook of the North influence documentary filmmaking?
- Analyze the controversy over Triumph of the Will.
- How Godard’s Breathless breaks the rules of Classical film.
- The philosophy of mortality in The Seventh Seal.
- Review the cinematic choices in Her that convey Theodore’s loneliness.
- Bicycle Thieves and the theme of morality.
- Examine the influence of Kurosawa on Western genre.
- The role of stop motion special effects in early King Kong movies.
- What makes the visual effects in 2001: A Space Odyssey timeless?
- How did The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly influence Tarantino’s movies?
- The impact of Jaws on the natural horror genre.
- Critique the graphic effects in Saving Private Ryan.
- Analyze the use of CGI in Marvel movies.
- How The Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack compliments Star Lord’s personality.
- Review the impact of The Matrix on science fiction.
- The role of the sound effects in The Shining.
✅ Evaluation Essay: Step-By-Step Guide
- First of all, choose a topic. It can be something that you can evaluate reasonably and without bias.
- Then, write an outline. The evaluation essay follows the basic 5 paragraph format:
- The main element of the introduction is the thesis statement. It should reflect the main idea of your essay. For an evaluative paper, make sure that your judgment or opinion about the topic is clear.
Example: The sound in The Shining plays an important part in the movie’s success.
- The next step is to develop topic sentences for the body paragraphs. Each topic sentence should focus on a different criterion about the subject. Creating topic sentences will guide your research while you gather information.
Example: The sound effects in The Shining build up tension and create a suspenseful atmosphere.You can collect evidence by reading other people’s reviews or literature on the subject. The more data you have, the better you will support your position. Make sure to find information on the opposite point of view. Addressing it will make your research more credible.Example: Some describe the music in The Shining as too dramatic. It was intended to sound that way. It helps to convey the main character’s mental state.
- In conclusion, summarize the main points of your essay. Restate the criteria and say whether you’ve proven the thesis.
Example: We’ve analyzed sound effects and background music in The Shining. The results show that they’re crucial to the movie’s atmosphere.
Now you can start writing! We wish you good luck with your assignment.
You might also be interested in: