An opinion essay is a formal piece of essay writing which presents the author’s point of view on a particular subject supported by reasoning and examples. The opposing viewpoint is also suggested, but it is followed by arguments that show its inconsistency.
Writing an Opinion Essay: Guidelines to an Excellent Performance
A Successful Opinion Essay Consists of:
- An introduction where the topic and the author’s opinion are stated clearly.
- A main body where strongly supported viewpoints are presented in several paragraphs. This section has also the opposing viewpoint which is being proved unconvincing.
- A conclusion where the main points of the essay are summarized and the author’s opinion is restated in other words.
Check These Useful Tips for Writing an Opinion Essay:
- State your opinion as for the topic discussed.
- Make a list of viewpoints and reasons supporting your point of view.
- Construct well-developed paragraphs.
- Use linking words and phrases to join the sentences and the paragraphs within the text.
- Start each paragraph with a topic sentence.
Apply the Following Techniques to Start and Finish Your Opinion Essays:
- Address the reader directly.
- Start with a quote.
- Start with a thought-provoking or rhetorical question.
- Refer to some striking or unusual fact, idea or situation.
Use the Following Expressions to State Your Opinion:
- As far as I am concerned, …
- I am (not) convinced that …
- In my opinion/view …
- My opinion is that …
- I (firmly)believe that …
- I (definitely) feel/think that …
- I am inclined to believe that …
Writing an Opinion Essay: Remember the Real Experts' Superb Tips
Basic Dos in Writing Opinion Essays:
- Write in a formal style,
- Introduce the topic clearly,
- Write clear topic sentences,
- Use generalizations,
- Use quotations.
Writing an Opinion Essay: Check Crucial Expert Recommendations!
Basic Dont’s in Writing an Opinion Essay:
- Don’t use colloquial expressions,
- Don’t use short forms,
- Don’t use emotive vocabulary
- Don’t use over-generalizations
- Don’t use statistics without proper referencing
- Don’t give personal examples
Thank you for reading! Our free tips will help you get through any kind of essay. Still, if you're stuck with your essay, you can always count on the tips and recommendations from professinal writers!
With the help of the tips above, you'll be able to create the most unbelievable papers in a blink of an eye. Now that you know the secrets of professional writers, try writing your own opinion essay!