A conclusion of a research paper seems to be one of the most challenging parts of the work. The writer doesn't have anything left to say to the reader. Moreover, the writer's at a loss - why on earth (s)he should repeat everything again?!
The thing is that a research papers conclusion is not a mere repetition of the information presented, it's a general outline, a brief overview of the most critical points of the field studied.
If you think that the conclusion of a research paper is of no particular importance, please, consider the following functions a powerful ending fulfills (click for more info on how to boost your GPA and get assistance with your assignments):
- stresses the importance of the thesis statement;
- gives your work a sense of completeness; and
- impresses your reader.
And now let’s take a closer look at fundamental aspects of a research essay conclusion.
1. Summarize thesis statement
Don’t provide any additional explanations or details to the topic. When writing a good conclusion to an essay, you should restate in essence the thesis statement you wrote in the introduction. Perhaps, you could include it at the end of the opening paragraph.
Take your readers back to the basic ideas of the paper. What is the initial issue you are pursuing to convey readers?
Make sure that you clearly stated the main idea in conclusion.
Remember: your arguments must be rounded.
2. Outline counterpoints
Among the good ways to write a conclusion is provide different sides of the research question. When you write the ending for an essay, recall the vital opposing arguments and explain why you think these arguments are wrong.
Stay focused and concise: don’t rewrite a whole paper, just summarize its principal parts.
3. Refer to additional research
Include suggestions of how the questions raised by the research topic ideas might be examined in the future. You may refer to other issues that encountered while conducting the research.
Other aspects you may mention are the related question that you feel your paper did not focus effectively.
If you writing a good conclusion for a research paper, you may also take one of several approaches other than revising your introduction:
- Outline main points or your assignment. Make sure that you not just listing arguments but summarizing them.
- Provide a clear statement giving the research topic a deeper meaning.
- Express the overall significance of cases stated in your paper.
- When writing a concluding sentence, endorse that there are issues to be explored and briefly describe remaining topic questions.
You may be assigned to write a persuasive or argumentative paper. Or your professor might ask you to develop an analytical or compare and contrast essay.
Should you write their conclusions in the same way?
The answer is “No”.
When you write different types of assignments, you need different conclusions:
- If you write an argumentative or persuasive research paper, outline the key points of arguments. Recall the assignment thesis and finish with station your position on the issue.
- When writing an analytical research paper, you have to conduct an in-depth study of the assignments subject and demonstrate your findings. And you may ask: how to conclude an essay? Outline your analysis, summarize the thesis, and offer suggestions for further studies.
- For a compare and contrast research paper, you need to explore the facts and conditions surrounding a topic to prove the logic you state in the thesis. And here’s what you should write in conclusion: first, restate your thesis. And then outline how you have proven assignment’s argument.
Are you ready to pass your writing?
Have you checked it for the most common mistakes? If no, here are six general errors you should avoid:
- Weak conclusion. It leaves your readers unsatisfied and disappointed. When you write uncertain concluding sentences for essays, it also reduces the ability of your arguments to convey its primary thesis and lessens the quality of the paper.
- Abruptly concluding the research paper. Your essay should make an expression of finished writing, not just a part. So make sure that you expressed your thoughts entirely.
- Avoiding a conclusion. You can make this mistake when all your convincing facts and arguments stated throughout the body of the paper. And this causes you fail including good conclusion sentences for essays. If you write a research assignment in this manner, the paper’s overall quality will be lessened, and your reader might find it abruptly ended.
- Providing any new information. A conclusion should only summarize your research. Include all your findings and arguments in body paragraphs.
- Lack of focus or filling ending an essay with inappropriate or extraneous information.
- Lack of an appropriate length. Some students tend to finish a paper with a single or a few sentences. Moreover, closing sentences for essays merely attempt to revisit the paper’s thesis in a simplistic or crude way. If you make this mistake, you will give your readers a sense of laziness. Don’t do that! You need a good conclusion, don’t you? Write at least one comprehensive paragraph at the bare minimum. A paper of any solid length needs ending of several paragraphs.
Well, you’re almost there. Let’s revise, what you can include in your research paper ending:
- Echo your introduction
- Restate your thesis statement, making it more and more general
- Recapitulate your major ideas
- Explain to your reader why your paper is meaningful
- Show the results of your work
- Make the reader think of your topic's importance
- Challenge the reader by posing a question
- Write a warning or hypothesis
- Introduce a relevant quote
- Tell an appropriate anecdote
Note that the form of your research paper conclusion depends significantly on what precedes it, it's a fundamental part of the whole paper without which it looks unfinished.
Powerful conclusions of your research papers must tie up all of the arguments, facts, and circumstances you presented in your paper’s body and point out where they might eventually lead.
Nevertheless, ending sentences is not the place to introduce new information or claims that you have not stated anywhere else in your writing.
Remember: the last thing your readers will see are closing words for an essay. It is your last chance to impress them with a definite statement that connects your paper’s principal argument without raising new questions.
They say a conclusion of a research paper should be its best part. Try to prove this idea!
A research paper is not the most difficult academic assignment; and still, it does take a lot of time!
With these guidelines, you will definitely succeed – so try and make use of them! Whenever you use these tips, remember that these are the recommendations of real professionals. Your victory is just around the corner – all you have to do is to reach out and grab it!
What mistakes do you make when writing a research paper conclusion? Tell us in comments below!