What does it mean to grow up? Essays on this topic might be entertaining yet challenging to write. Growing up is usually associated with something new and exciting. It’s a period of everything new and unknown.
Now, you’ve been assigned to write a growing up essay. You’re not a kid anymore, but not quite the adult. It would be interesting for your teacher to learn about your childhood memories or read what you think about the experience of growing up.
In this article, we will provide a guide on how to write an essay on growing up. Our team listed some topics to make your writing process more manageable.
📍 How to Write a Growing up Essay
Writing an essay about growing up can seem complicated, but it’s always easier to handle when you have a plan. In this section, we will talk more about how to write an essay on the topic.
- Pick a style. There are two main essay types used for growing up papers: reflective and narrative. Both types require a narrator, a clear structure, and a purpose.
- Reflective essays focus on the author’s attitude towards individual experiences. This type is often required during the college admissions process. For instance, one may write about growing up in poverty and how it shaped his character.
- Narrative essays focus on a specific event or sequence of events. For example, you might write about the most memorable trip from your childhood.
- Select your topic. You can choose to write about yourself or check with the instructor whether it is possible to write about other people.
When selecting a topic for a reflective essay, you need to remember several things:
- Choose the topic on the familiar subject. It will be easier to reflect on the issue when you have a lot of relevant experience.
- Choose the topic of interest. Write about something that provokes a strong emotional reaction from you.
- Show a unique vision on the topic. Try to approach writing college essays about growing up from a different perspective.
When writing a narrative essay, you need to remember that your work should tell a story. Your essay topic about growing up needs to agree with the paper’s length and follow the essay structure. Focus on a specific point in your writing.
- Recall childhood memories. If you’re writing a narrative essay, you’ll surely need your childhood memories. But how do you come up with the right ones?
There are several tips that you might consider when recalling them:
- Think about the event in your life that provokes a strong emotional response;
- Write what you have learned from the experience;
- Consider writing about experiences with your friends or relatives. What those events taught you?
- Outline your paper. Organizing your paper beforehand will help you write your thoughts down more concisely. Narrative and reflective essays follow the same structure:
- Introduction: Your growing up essay introduction is an opening paragraph of the work. It grabs a reader’s attention and contains a thesis statement.
- Body Paragraphs: The childhood and growing up essay can contain three body paragraphs. In each one, provide an example of an event or situation that supports the general topic.
- Conclusion: In your growing up essay, the conclusion is the final paragraph. It summarizes the main points and brings the paper to an end.
- Edit and polish it. When you create your first draft, you might want to revise and edit it.
- Revise your draft a couple of days after writing it. That way, you will be able to notice mistakes or typos you missed.
- Try to avoid passive voice. Rewrite the sentences in an active one, if possible.
- Read your essay out loud. If it doesn’t meet the set criteria, keep revising it.
👩👦👦 6 Topics for Essays on Growing Up
You may not know what your essay on growing up should be devoted to. If it’s the case, look at this section. Earlier, we talked about how to write, but here we will tell you what to write about.
🏡 About Your Childhood
See the topics that can navigate an essay about your childhood experience:
- Describe the events that helped you to learn about life.
- Tell about the time you tried to challenge gender norms.
- Analyze your experience of growing up in another culture and the influence it had on your adult life.
- Discuss how the relationships with your parents influenced your growing up and character formation.
- Describe the experience of self-disclosure in your childhood and the consequences it had.
- Write about your family trips and the effect they had on the relationships within your family.
- Analyze how the relationships with your peers impacted your growing up and adult life.
- Examine how different teaching styles you’ve experienced in childhood influenced your growing up.
In other words, try to focus on something that made your growing up experience memorable and tell about it.
🧒 About Someone Else
What if you do not feel like talking about your own experience in the essay on growing up? Do not worry. There are many other ways to complete your paper.
What follows next are additional ideas for you:
- Examine how Nhuong depicted childhood in the book Water Buffalo Days: Growing Up in Vietnam.
- Discuss the changes digital technology brought into a growing-up process.
- Explain how the environment influences the growing up and physical development of a child.
- Describe the relation between difficult childhood and personal development.
- Analyze the consequences being bullied or being a bully in childhood may have in adult life.
- Explore how childhood development and growing up shown in Born to Learn video.
- Examine the stories about coming of age and infantilism in literature.
- Discuss the peculiarities of growing up in multiracial family.
- Describe the problem of childhood obesity and the ways it influences children’s life.
Thank you for reading this article! Hopefully, you found the information written here useful. If so, don’t forget to comment and share this article with your friends.
This might be interesting for you: