A life experience essay combines the elements of narration, description, and self-reflection. Such a paper has to focus on a single event that had a significant impact on a person’s worldview and values.
Writing an essay about life experience prompts students to do the following:
- evaluate their behavior in specific situations critically;
- analyze their life and find significant moments;
- see connections between some crucial events;
- tell the story of their lives.
You may struggle with such papers, not knowing how to structure them. So, here are valuable tips for writing essays about experience in life. Hopefully, they will help you with your task. Don’t forget to bookmark our website in case you need any assignment assistance.
📅 Picking One Life Experience
Many people struggle with such essay writing because they don’t know what events to choose from. Almost any person had a memorable moment at least once. Yet, it might be challenging to share it with someone else, especially in a narrative essay on a life-changing experience.
To find the right event for your essay, here are the essential preliminary steps that you need to take:
- Choose a memory to reflect in your essay.
Think of any past event that made you reevaluate your views about other people or your values and moral principles. For example, you can describe an encounter with an exciting person that influenced you. Alternatively, think about discussing a situation when you had to make a moral choice. Make sure the event is indeed significant for you and will impress the readers.
- Describe the settings.
It is essential to let the readers dive into the atmosphere you experienced. Introduce the background. Talk about the time and location of the event and describe your feelings. The more detail you provide, the more empathetic your reader will be.
- Analyze the impact of the event on your life.
Compare and contrast your views and values before and after this event. How did the experience influence your life? What did you learn from it? The analysis is probably an essential part of your life experience essay. So, make sure your ideas are concise and clear enough.
- Evaluate your experience.
Finally, determine how this experience can help you or your readers. Highlight the key lessons you gained from the event you are describing in your essay. Give the audience valuable suggestions.
🌱 Life Experience Essay: Key Tips
Having chosen the most memorable experience, you can start writing your essay. It’s a common creative task for college or high school students. Usually, such papers require to reflect on their life while telling a story with a moral. You have to explain how one significant event in the past affected or even changed you.
Before composing your paper, it is essential to plan it properly. Here are some tips on how to do that:
- Decide whether the chosen topic is compelling.
Before starting structuring your essay, make sure you selected a great event. Here is a trick for you. Answer the following questions to evaluate your topic:
- Did I learn something from that experience?
- Did it significantly change my life?
- Can I apply the knowledge I gained in the future?
- Can I somehow educate the readers talking about this event?
If you answered YES, congratulations, you have a great topic. If your answers are NO, consider choosing another event to talk about.
- Order the events logically.
While talking about your life-changing experience, it is essential to list the events in a logical order. Before writing your essay, outline. Decide on what you will tell first, what should be mentioned next, and how to conclude the paper. A logical structure will help the readers not to get overwhelmed with your thoughts.
- Details matter.
For the readers, every detail might play a tremendous role. So, make sure you don’t forget to mention any essential turn of events. But be careful. Don’t overdo it. Include only vital and most vivid details in your essay about experience in life.
Several strategies will help you with that:
- A catchy intro is a key to a successful essay on life experience. Start your paper with an attention-getter or a sentence that can make your reader interested. For this purpose, you can use a quote or a paradoxical statement that shows how two conflicting ideas can co-exist. Turn on your imagination. The more exciting your first paragraph is – the highest chances to catch your readers’ attention are.
- Write strong body paragraphs. The body of your paper plays a vital role since it delivers your core idea to the audience. Make sure your essay is coherent, your thoughts are logically connected, and examples support your claims. Here are several tips on composing an amazing main body:
- Explain your choice. No doubt, every person gets into a life-changing experience. So, impress your readers with your idea. Prove to them that your experience is worth sharing. Only if you introduce your concepts dynamically and effectively, your essay will be indeed fascinating.
- Make your experience essay well balanced. It is also vital for you to find and maintain the balance between narrative and self-reflection. On the one hand, your paper has to describe an event accurately. As has been said before, you need to explain what happened and how it happened. On the other hand, you also need to analyze the impact the event’s experience had on you. So, make sure that your paper includes both: narrative and self-reflection.
- Compose a memorable conclusion. The conclusion of your essay has to explain how experience can be applied. In other words, you need to show what you learned from the event. Explain how the knowledge you gained can affect your decisions in the future. Also, show your readers what they can learn from your life lesson.
See how it all can be accomplished in a life experience essay example below:
⏳ Life Experience Essay: Topics
Now you can approach an essay on a life experience that profoundly influenced you. Such a paper allows you to demonstrate your creativity and writing skills. So, try to be natural, and this mindset will help you write a great essay about yourself.
We prepared a list of life experience topics that will help you start:
- How I conquered my fear? Were you afraid of something but found the courage to overcome your fears? Isn’t it a perfect topic for an essay about experience in life? Introduce your fear. Tell how you conquered it. Explain how your life changed after it. Who knows, maybe you will inspire somebody else to deal with their fears?
- A failure that made me stronger. Not surprisingly, everybody fails. But have you ever been in a situation when your failure motivated you to improve yourself? Describe this experience and tell the reader how you felt about it. Share your art of overcoming failures with the audience!
- How I met the love of my life. This topic is relevant to those who have a boyfriend or a girlfriend who tremendously changed their lives. Do you have such one? Then consider writing about your life before and after you met the love of your life. Did you change your habits? Did you improve? Tell the reader more about that in your experience essay.
- The most memorable experience of childhood. We start our character formation from early childhood. So, maybe there was an incredibly significant event in your childhood that impacted your personal development? Analyze this experience and reflect your thoughts in the essay.
- My first public performance. Well, public performances are nightmares for some people. Therefore, the first appearance on the stage might become a life-changing and unforgettable experience. Do you have something fascinating to share about your first performance? Consider selecting this topic then.
- The most meaningful conversation I have ever had. Sometimes conversations are just raw words. Sometimes, however, a talk might become the most memorable experience in your life. Have you ever had such a conversation? With whom? What was the topic of discussion? How your perception of life or set of values transformed after that talk?
- A fascinating journey. Are you a traveling fan? Then you have probably been on numerous trips. But have you ever been on a journey that significantly impacted your life? What country did you visit? What did you see or learn that impressed you a lot? How has your perception of life changed after that journey?
- A piece of art that impressed me a lot. No wonder art is a tremendous power. Sometimes, a piece of art may turn an individual’s life upside down. Has it ever happened to you? What influenced you: a book, a movie, a painting? What were your feelings and emotions?
- My first award. Are you a professional athlete, an outstanding singer, or a successful dancer? Then, you probably have numerous medals, cups, and certificates. But do you remember that unforgettable moment when you came to the stage to receive your first award? What was your way until that first award? How did you feel when you finally got it? What did you learn from that life-changing experience?
Thank you for reading our article! We hope our tips were helpful. Don’t forget to leave a comment and share the page with your friends.
This might be interesting for you: