If you are about to go into the world of graduate school, then one of the very first things you need to do is choose from all the possible dissertation topics that are available to you. This is no small task. As stated in a letter posted by Stanford University, you will spend many years researching, writing, and perfecting your dissertation, which means choosing a dissertation topic should not be taken lightly.
But when it comes down to it…
How do you choose good topics for thesis writing? There are so many topics for a thesis, the possibilities are almost endless! This is why finding a dissertation topic can be difficult. Aside from considering suggestions given to you by your mentor or professor, you can always get inspiration from:
- Titles of topics that have been done in the past
- Samples of past dissertations
- Suggested topics found via a custom writing company or other source
You’ll want to see master dissertation topics or doctoral dissertation topics relevant to your field of interest. There is simply such a massive list of good thesis topics.
You need to know what makes a good dissertation topic.
Criteria for a Good Dissertation Topic
When wondering how to choose a dissertation topic, you don’t want your focus to be too big or too small. You will need to focus on a specific problem. Here are some guidelines when choosing a topic:
- Make sure you are interested in your topic. Otherwise, you will have a horrible few years ahead of you.
- Make sure the problem on which you are focusing is either very new or is a new aspect of a topic that has not been fully researched. Also, be sure that it can be related to the bigger picture in terms of the research that has already been done, even if the problem is new.
- When choosing your topic, be sure to consider the resources at you can use for your research. If you are working on something totally new, you might struggle to find the needed resources. This is fine, but it will make your research more challenging.
To choose a topic, follow these steps:
- Generate ideas: Consider many topic ideas, rather than just one
- Test: Run each idea you are considering through a testing phase to make sure it is possible to do the research and that you have the ability and resources to follow through with it.
- Refining ideas: You will be able to narrow down you choices and get rid of the ones that won’t work. Once you have just two or three left, you can improve these and decide on the best one.
Now you need some inspiration…
Take a look through the following list of free topics for dissertation to see if something stands out for you.
Ideas for Dissertations in Education
Education offers a wide range of potential fields of research and study, spread across preschool, primary, secondary, and post-secondary education. Here is a sampling of possible dissertation topics in education you can consider in the field of education:
- Americans study abroad to have a legitimate excuse to travel.
- How does working as a taxi driver and navigating change a person’s brain?
- To what extent can reality television be disempowering for students?
- The role of homework in the lives of immigrant adolescents.
- The impact of teachers’ shocking behaviors in fostering students’ creativity.
- The determinants of flossing behavior in college students.
- The classification of drinking styles in college age population.
- Integrating the computer into the curriculum: why you can’t simply plug it in.
- The preconditions for serious music-making avocation in computer science students.
- Adult graduate difficulties with learning technologies.
- The effect of academic performance on academic health of adolescents.
- The impact of mathematic coaching on students’ self-esteem.
- The influence of internet on emotional maturity of students.
- Academic achievements of students who decide to become teachers.
- Students are more likely to do homework given by good-looking professors.
- Informal learning in rural areas through social networks.
- Edublogging for professors: the social networks of educationists.
- Does learning existentialism cause suicides?
- Is it possible to reduce summer learning loss without students’ consent?
- Can we reject classical math and do it at the same time? Yes.
- Students are less likely to think something is weird if their teachers act like it’s not weird.
- Is a degree in Liberal Arts completely useless? What are major career prospects?
- Using electronic games in museums can be an effective education tool.
- Brainwashing people too fast can make them resistant to it.
- Creativity is a fantasy and nothing more than autohypnosis.
- Literature analysis is a fake, because we’ll never know what a long dead writer wanted to say with his/her book.
- Surfing the web for 10 years is equal to a college degree.
- Positive attitudes to school can improve academic performance, but students doubt it.
- Sex education is more stressful to teachers than students.
For more ideas for education dissertation topics, check out Appalachian State University’s list of past dissertation titles.
Thesis Topics in Business Administration
Getting your MBA is a big step and choosing an MBA dissertation can be tough. There are many areas in which you can focus for your MBA, including finance, management, and topics in organizational leadership. Here are a few suggestions:
- Conduct a case study, the purpose of which is to analyze one or several social phenomena
- Create a business plan that suggests analysis of the strategy
- Create a business plan that is focused on some specific, particular issue
- Workplace ethics in small businesses
- The phenomenon of remote working and how it is affecting business
- Managing the Millennial Generation
- Comparison of Generation X and the Millennial Generation
- Current trends in consumer behavior in relation to advertising
- An analysis of which countries margin financing is effective and why
- An analysis of the macroeconomic factors affecting exchange rates
- Empirical analysis of the impact of organizational performance and leadership
For more ideas for MBA dissertation topics, check out past topics done at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
Dissertation Topics in Law
The legal profession is full of possible thesis topics, such as the following:
- How criminal laws have been impacted around the world by the war on terror
- Choose a country and analyze their policies on discrimination
- Evaluate the protection given to minority shareholders as dictated by company law
- Provide a critical analysis of the law of omissions liability
- Investigating and analyzing complaints filed in the criminal justice system
- A critical analysis of the reform of homicide laws
- The morality and impact of euthanasia and how Canada sets a precedent
- A detailed analysis of gender and race profiling of suspects in the criminal justice system
- An analysis of the right to bear arms relative to the context in which the law was written into The Constitution
- Case studies that represent a review of criminal negligence related to the Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act 2007
For more ideas for a law dissertation, check out this brief look at past student work from Harvard University.
Ideas for Dissertations in Computer Science
Computer science has a lot of different subject areas that provide a wide range of topics from which to choose, such as:
- Methods for improving Open Web Architecture
- An analysis of software solutions for the increased energy efficiency
- A case study and analysis how the protection of systems against terror attacks
- New methods of risk management during software development
- An analysis of how Web space requirements are changing
- An analysis of how e-publishing is affecting libraries
- New methods for studying the behavior of malware, viruses, and worms with the use of secure programming and runtime environments
- An analysis of redundancy and fault recovery in the 4G wireless network
- An analysis of the implementation and analysis of the optimal algorithm vs the heuristic algorithm for the generation of clusters
- An analysis of how full-text databases affect search engines
For more ideas, check out the list of past computer science dissertation titles from La Trobe University.
Thesis Topics in Psychology
When choosing a dissertation topic in psychology, you must select a topic that will provide a credible and valuable contribution to the discipline of psychology. The key is to form a hypothesis and use research to support or disprove that hypothesis. To help choose a topic, here is a list of potential psychology thesis topics:
- Understanding the function of the prefrontal cortex in terms of how it is connected to other parts of the brain
- Understanding how the prefrontal cortex makes us human
- How emotional and anxiety disorders are connected to social cognition that is impaired
- An analysis of the ability of an MRI to determine brain function
- An analysis of the relationship between emotional and episodic memory
- A comparison of the plasticity of the child brain and the adult brain
- An analysis of the continued relevance of Piaget’s theory of cognitive development
- An in-depth look at the social intuitionist model and how it relates to the emotion and reason involved in moral judgement
- How the evolution of the human brain can be understood in terms of human cognitive development
- A demonstration of the multi-dimensional nature of schizophrenia
- How rational thinking and impulse contribute to decision-making
- A systematic analysis and review of the psychology of religion
- How exposure to nature affects happiness
For more inspiration when deciding on psychology dissertation topics check out past dissertation titles from the University of Edinburgh.
Dissertation Topics for the Arts and Humanities
The arts and humanities cover such a wide range of subject areas that the possibilities for dissertation topics are extensive. Check out the following sampling of possible topics:
- The history of design in various periods of human existence (the ancient times, the Middle Ages, the Renaissance, etc.)
- Design as art
- Philosophy of design
- Separate branches of design (interior design, car design, toy design, etc.)
- Stylistic peculiarities of a certain designer
- Web design as a modern quintessence of design
- Social significance of design
- The birth of Communism as it relates to Stendhal
- The relationship between politics and literature in the 19th century
- An analysis and case study of artists and art during times or war
- How contemporary art is related to American suffering
- An analysis of how racism relates to the family unit
For more ideas for dissertation topics in the Arts and Humanities, check out the University of Texas at Dallas to find a dissertation sample that will help you.
Ideas for Dissertations in Science
Science is a very big subject area, with topics on chemistry, biology, physics, and earth sciences. Chances are you have specialized in one of these areas of science, but now you are looking to choose a dissertation topic to carry on. Here are some possible dissertation topics in the sciences:
- Morality and ethics of stem cell research
- Is behavior controlled or affect by genetics and to what level
- A look at methods of improving risk factors post-stroke
- An analysis of Chinese herbal practice and its relevance to conventional medicine
- An analysis and case study or the affect schools have on childhood obesity
- New methods of using existing data to gather information that is useful
- An in-depth look at the factors affecting the decline of the immune system with age
- An analysis of the potential effect of nanotechnology on health and the environment
- An analysis of toxicity levels of inhaled nanoparticles
- The usefulness of nanotechnology in curing some types of cancer
- An analysis and case study of the treatment of patients who have experienced a loss of memory
- An analysis of the use of DNA typing of remains to identify missing people and the victims of crime
- The response of immune deficiency diseases to the activation of T-cell subsets
- The influence and importance of IT in the field of biomedicine
For help when it comes to writing your dissertation check out these incredible resources for free dissertation writing help, how to write a dissertation, and how to manage dissertation problems. You can also check out this video.