- If you have already completed an internship program
- Getting an internship
There are two situations in which you might be asked to write an internship essay: if you are applying for an internship program or if you have already completed one.
In the first case, you will be asked to write an internship application essay and in the second, an internship experience report or an internship reflection essay. We will present helpful tips for both cases (if you need help with internship essay, just take a look here).
If you have already completed an internship program
Congratulations! This was an important step towards your career, and now you definitely have a chance to get the job of your dreams.
However, right now you have to write an essay on your internship and tell about this experience of yours.
Such an end-of-internship essay will include the following points:
- Place of your internship
- Responsibilities you had
- Difficulties you faced during your internship
- Overall impression from this experience
- Self-evaluation of your performance
- Appendix with deliverables you created during your internship
Check out this short internship paper sample:
- As a business administration student at the University of Collegetown, I participated in a three-month summer internship at Internet & More, an IT company based in Collegetown.
- I was interning at the company’s marketing department, and I primarily interacted with Internet & More’s content creation and social media marketing specialists.
- The main task of my internship was to create a LinkedIn marketing strategy for the company, basing my recommendations on extensive market research and using LinkedIn as a promotional tool for both customers and potential employees.
This brief introduction achieves three goals: establishes that this report is an internship experience essay, introduces the company and department where the internship took place, and describes the intern’s main task.
The essay continues like this:
- Overall, the experience proved to be both enjoyable and rewarding. I found the marketing concepts and frameworks that I learned in class to be relevant and useful when working on my practical, real-world assignments.
- I did, however, encounter some difficulties working on the task. Namely, as an undergraduate student, I was used to receiving very detailed, step-by-step instructions, whereas I was given more flexibility and autonomy during my internship.
- Secondly, I needed to take some time to familiarize myself with the world of LinkedIn marketing, because we never dealt with it in my university classes.
This is great:
This part of the internship essay example accomplishes two things: it gives the writer’s overall impression of the internship and discusses both its advantages and challenges.
- During my internship, I was able to generate a 5,000-follower base for the company’s LinkedIn page, which allowed Internet & More to significantly expand their list of prospects.
- Moreover, the company was able to fill two vacant positions within a matter of two days, having received over 400 resumes from highly qualified applicants.
- Thus, I was able to successfully achieve the goals set for me at the beginning of my internship. Attached you can find the strategy development and implementation report I have created for Internet & More.
This is the perfect internship essay conclusion!
The student provides a self-evaluation in the most appropriate way: not by merely saying that he did a great job, but by demonstrating and even quantifying how he contributed to the company’s goals and development.
Equally important, the student offers an opportunity for the reader to examine his work.
Not sure whether you can write such an impressive internship reflection essay? Our writers at Custom-Writing.org have mastered the art of internship report writing and will be happy to assist you.
If you are trying to get an internship
If you are applying to an internship program, we also have to congratulate you!
You are on the right path to the career of your dreams. An internship will help you gain additional knowledge and skills, and you will also get to know a lot of the specifics of your future job.
But many students feel lost because they don’t know how to write an essay for an internship.
Writing internship essays is very similar to writing any other application essay. Your major purpose is to demonstrate your outstanding talents and prove that you deserve this internship.
Before you get down to work, find and look through some sample internship essays. You can also read our internship essay sample below to learn some specific strategies.
Here are more tips on how to write a successful internship essay:
- You may start with a bit of information about yourself, but make sure it relates to the internship.
- Tell about your previous education and experiences in the internship essay. What college did you attend? What was your major? What particular courses did you like the most?
- Describe your future goals in your internship essay and explain how this program will help you achieve them.
- Finally, give reasons why you are the perfect candidate for this internship program. In this part of the internship essay, you can tell about your talents and positive characteristics.
Essentially, the two most important questions you need to answer in your internship essay are “Why do you want this internship?” and “What do you hope to gain from this internship experience?”
Let’s check out the essay that helped our example student land his internship at Internet & More:
- I am writing to you regarding the marketing internship opportunity at your company Internet & More. I learned of this opening from your company representatives who attended the job fair at the University of Collegetown.
- I am a third-year student at the University of Collegetown majoring in Business Administration with a specialization in Marketing and Digital Communications.
- My professional interests include content creation and social media marketing and optimization, so this opportunity naturally attracted my attention. I believe that the knowledge I gained from my Marketing Strategy and Social Media Marketing classes will be particularly beneficial for this internship.
This is fantastic:
In a very concise and modest manner, this student explains his interest in the internship and confidently establishes why he makes a great candidate for this position.
- My professional goal is to become a social media marketing specialist so I can help businesses grow their online presence. I believe that this internship is the perfect opportunity for me to apply my skills and knowledge to help a company achieve its strategic goals.
- I am also particularly excited to immerse myself in the business world and work alongside leading industry experts.
- My past qualifications and experiences make me a suitable candidate for this position, and I am looking forward to helping Internet & More grow their LinkedIn presence and visibility.
Don’t you just want to hire this student right away?
He managed to combine professionalism and just the right amount of flattery in his internship application letter. He also did not forget to mention his career goals in this internship essay.
Don’t you feel more confident about your application now that you know how to write an internship essay?
That’s it! Follow these tips, and who knows? Maybe your next internship will be with Google!
Good luck with your internship essay, and be sure to check out our blog for more writing wisdom!