Are you interested in having a side hustle? If you have a hobby you are passionate about, look no further. A hobby-based side hustle is a great way to spend time doing something you love, a great source of income, and a way to boost your resume!
In this article by Custom-Writing.org, you will find:
- a list of 7 inexpensive hobbies available to anyone;
- ways to monetize them;
- their benefits for your studies and career.
🏅 How Your Hobby Can Benefit Your Studies and Career
You may be wondering how a hobby can help you with your job and studies. Well, let’s start with the advantages of having a hobby as a student:
- it enables you to develop soft skills;
- it broadens your horizons;
- your hobby is an excellent source of topics for college essays.
And here are the benefits of having hobbies for those who are already employed or looking for a job:
- Employers are looking for individuals who can offer something unique to the team, so a hobby mentioned on your CV will help you stand out.
- Hobbies help reduce stress, improve overall health, and achieve a better work-life balance.
- Different hobbies are associated with different qualities. It’s good to include hobbies that correspond to the traits your potential employer might find attractive.
These benefits prove that a hobby is more than just a pastime: it’s a significant and valuable facet of your life.
🤑 Why Monetize a Hobby?
Aside from developing soft skills and looking good on your CV, hobbies can also provide you with additional income. It’s especially beneficial for those with student debt and those currently looking for a job. Here are some reasons to monetize your hobbies:
- Earning money doing something you love.
- Perfecting your skills.
- Being your own boss.
- Having a free schedule.
- Networking with fellow enthusiasts.
Keep in mind that not everyone needs to monetize their hobbies. If you don’t feel like you’re ready to limit your personal creative expression and focus on what your clients are expecting from you, it’s better to keep your hobby as it is.
However, if you’re ready to start a side hustle and want to know how to monetize your hobby, keep reading!
🔝 Top 7 Affordable Hobbies to Monetize
You may already have a hobby that has excellent monetization potential. If not, why not choose one right now? Check out the list below to learn more.
1. Blogging as a Hobby
If you have an aptitude for writing, blogging may be right up your alley. You can write about anything from any place, at any time. Whatever your interests are, you can turn them into a source of income.
What Skills Do I Need for Blogging?
You will need to dive into a few essentials before considering a career in blogging:
- Content writing
- Photo editing
- Social networking
- CSS and HTML
- SEO blogging
- Goal setting and tracking
Taking a course could help you learn about crucial blogging tools and build up your skills. For example, check out this Complete Content Writing Course from Udemy.
Where Do I Start Blogging?
- Find out what you want to write about, choose your type of content, and come up with a memorable blog name.
- Decide what platform you want to start your blog on. It can be a free platform, like WordPress, or you may want to create your own website.
- Pick a unique theme. Make your blog aesthetically pleasing and easy to navigate.
- Add 2 key blogging plugins to track stats. You can analyze your audience and adjust your blog according to the statistics.
- Learn some SEO tricks if you want to know how to appear in Google searches and increase traffic.
- Write compelling content to build a dedicated audience.
How Is Blogging Beneficial for My Studies and Career?
Blogging is not only a way to earn a little cash but can also be of use in your academic and working life:
- It helps build language skills. Your essays and cover letters will benefit significantly from your developing talent.
- It allows students to share opinions, enhancing their understanding of various topics.
- It allows you to receive feedback, helping you to learn and grow.
- It gives you room to experiment and do some soul-searching.
- It makes your CV more attractive. Blogging as a hobby shows that you possess the skills necessary for a career in journalism, content writing, etc.
How Do I Monetize Blogging?
|💻||Freelance content writing. You will be surprised by how many people need articles and other texts written for them.|
|✍️||Guest blogging. It is a wonderful way to make new connections in the blogosphere and promote yourself.|
|🔗||Affiliate marketing. Include links to products in your blog and get a little commission when someone clicks on the link.|
2. Photography as a Hobby
Photography is truly one of the most widespread and affordable hobbies, especially at the beginner level. Nearly everyone can be a photographer with modern smartphone cameras. You need something that will set you apart, but if you have an eye for good angles and captivating shots—you are in luck!
What Skills Do I Need to Become a Photographer?
If you want to step up your game as a photographer, check out the list of necessary skills below:
- Photo editing in Lightroom or Photoshop
- Framing your shots
- Using light
- Directing people for portraits
- Camera functions and features such as shutter speed, aperture, etc.
You can learn about all things photography for free—for example, at this Basics of Photography course from LifeHacker.
Where Do I Start with Photography?
- Start perfecting your skills by using a smartphone camera.
- The next step is purchasing a professional camera. If you’re on a budget, consider cheaper options. You don’t have to spend on a costly camera to take good photos!
- Figure out what your niche is. Is it portraits, landscapes, events, or street photography? Choose your path and try to practice as much as you can.
- Publish your work on social media and photography websites to get feedback.
How Is Photography Beneficial for My Studies and Career?
- Photography opens your eyes to the world, helps you keep in touch with it, and teaches patience.
- You can notice more and appreciate the beauty hiding in the most unexpected places when you look at everything through the eyes of a photographer.
- You get a better understanding of the world and those who live in it.
- Putting photography on your CV shows your creativity and ability to think outside the box.
How Do I Monetize My Photography Hobby?
Photography is always in demand. Here are some ways you can make money with it.
|🎨||Stock photography. Websites such as Shutterstock, or apps like Twenty20, are an excellent place to try and sell your photos. Provide pictures in a variety of genres and learn how to use keywords. It will improve your chances of getting noticed.|
|📸||Freelance photography. Take orders from your friends or advertise your skills in your local community. Birthdays, weddings, and all sorts of parties could be a never-ending source of income.|
|🖼️||Prints. Selling copies of your work printed in high resolution is a great way to earn money.|
3. Graphic Design as a Hobby
People who love drawing and painting can benefit greatly from trying their hand at graphic design. Want to know how? Keep reading!
What Skills Do I Need for Graphic Design?
You won’t be able to dabble in graphic design successfully without the following:
- Page layout skills
- Software packages, such as Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Knowledge of design elements, like shapes, colors, animation, etc.
Thankfully, there are free courses for everything. Check out a free graphic design course at Alison.com.
Where Do I Start with Graphic Design?
- Your primary tool is a graphic tablet. Experienced designers recommend buying one since it facilitates the process significantly.
- Learn how to work with Photoshop or any other graphic design program. Search for the tips and tricks, and then practice it using your tablet.
- Study fonts. Learn what makes a font good, and try creating one yourself.
- At first, you can use tutorials. But don’t forget to practice and experiment on your own. For example, you can try and create logos for imaginary brands!
How is Graphic Design Beneficial for My Studies and Career?
First of all, such a hobby helps you create a portfolio, which is an excellent asset if you want to study graphic design in college or get a project gig. But that’s not all of it! It also helps you develop essential skills:
- high adaptability and willingness to learn the ropes quickly;
- creativity, problem-solving, and technical skills;
- good communication skills.
All of these things are also beneficial in other professions, such as marketing. Include this set of skills in your CV to help you stand out.
How Do I Monetize My Graphic Design Hobby?
|🎁||Selling products. You can sell your art in various forms—anything from postcards to comics, t-shirt prints to wall art.|
|✏️||Freelance. If you don’t want to sell merch, you can do freelance work, for example, via Upwork. You can work on different projects, which will allow you to experiment and expand your skill-set.|
|📲||Social media. Instagram is still a great tool to create a portfolio and advertise your talent. You can create a beautiful profile, and once you get enough followers that share your work, you can land a job.|
4. Coding as a Hobby
Another hobby that can help increase your income is coding. While it is not the most common hobby, it can certainly be lucrative if you know how and where to sell your skills.
What Skills Do I Need for Coding?
Coding is something you have to learn, unlike some other hobbies which may come more naturally. Even if you have a programming talent, it’s still necessary to understand the tools you’re going to use. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Programming intuition. Intuition is a big asset for coding since you often have to work with limited input information and predict potential problems.
- Abstract thinking and analytical skills.
Where Do I Start with Coding?
- Start by using free programs to build apps or even create simple programs yourself.
- Building websites is a great way to bring yourself into the realm of professional coding. If you’re looking for profit, this is where you’ll find it.
- Try modding your favorite video game. If you’re an avid gamer, you can even create a game yourself.
How Is Coding Beneficial for My Studies and Career?
- Having coding as a hobby will come in handy if you want to study computer science in college or work as a programmer. Be it web design or game development, having prior experience is a huge advantage.
- If you take up coding, you will develop your critical thinking, attention to detail, ability to work in a team, and effective communication. All of these are good for you and your studies, and it’s definitely one of the best hobbies to include in resume.
How Do I Monetize My Coding Hobby?
|🌐||Web development. Try creating a clever browser extension or a mobile application. Even if it’s not revolutionary, you can still make money through advertisements or paid subscriptions.|
|🧑🏫||Courses. If you think you have teaching skills and possess extensive knowledge, you can create a course, for example, on Skillshare.|
|🤖||Freelance programming. Aside from Upwork, another excellent platform for freelance programmers is Fiverr.|
5. DIY Crafts as a Hobby
There are few hobbies out there as awesome as DIY crafts. It’s the most versatile of all hobbies: sewing, embroidery, clay modeling, jewelry making, and everything else you do with your hands. It is fun but also profitable because people love pretty things and will be willing to pay for them!
What Skills Do I Need for DIY Crafts?
If you love crafts, you will find learning these skills most enjoyable:
- Working with materials and tools, such as clay or resin, beads, fabrics, etc.
- Design skills that help bring your creative ideas to life.
- Attention to detail even when things get a little tedious.
- Problem-solving skills.
You can learn skills necessary for DIY crafts in these Domestika courses.
Where Do I Start with DIY Crafts?
- Pick your niche. You may choose from numerous materials: textiles, glass, paper, metal, wood, beads, etc. You can make furniture, earrings, postcards, toys or clothes, and many other things.
- Do your research. There are as many tutorials on the Internet as stars in the sky. You can also turn to literature. For instance, A Well-Crafted Home by Janet Crowther is a beautiful craft book to find inspiration.
- Post your work on social media. It will help you gain support and feedback.
How Are DIY Crafts Beneficial for My Studies and Career?
- DIY crafts develop creativity, patience, attention to detail, and analytical thinking. These are invaluable qualities for successful study and work.
- If you want to apply to an art college, make sure you compile your works into a portfolio.
- Crafts are also a fantastic way to decompress from a stress-filled life. The more relaxed you are, the better you function as a student or employee.
How Do I Monetize My DIY Crafts Hobby?
You can sell almost anything these days thanks to the Internet. Here are some of the popular ways to do so:
|🧶||Make an Etsy profile. Etsy is a platform for DIY creators of all kinds. Handmade items, clothes, jewelry, drawings—you name it, they have it.|
|🧵||Create a Patreon profile. There you can sell your work along with exclusive content, such as tutorials. You can get paid not only for work but also for showing how you do it!|
|📿||Take commissions. Earn money by creating commissioned objects that people won’t get anywhere else.|
6. Sports as a Hobby
Sports is an all-around great hobby. Just think about it: it’s beneficial for your body, it improves your mood, and you can earn a little extra money doing it. Want to know how? Keep reading!
What Skills Do I Need for a Sports Hobby?
Undoubtedly, physical skills are a priority when it comes to sport, but don’t disregard mental skills. Sport isn’t just about your body: it is also about your mind. Here are some of the necessary skills:
- Stamina, both physical and mental.
- Strength and speed.
- Handling pressure.
- Communication and teamwork.
You can work on your physical skills on your own or with the help of online courses, such as these customized workouts on Daily Burn.
Where Do I Start with My Sport Hobby?
- Choose a sport. Figure out what you would be happy to do regularly.
- Get the right equipment. Don’t buy the shoes you like: buy the ones that suit your sport. The same goes for everything else.
- Evaluate your fitness level. It will give you a starting point, which you’ll be able to compare your future self to.
- Do it gradually. Don’t jump in at the deep end. Progress takes time, and if you overwork yourself, you may end up with an injury and zero desire to continue.
- Diversify activities. Boredom kills all the fun and motivation.
- Join a gym. If you need company, you can train with others.
How Are Sports Beneficial for My Studies and Career?
To undertake sport is good for both your physical and mental health. As a student, you will find it beneficial for many reasons:
- Sports teach you to work in a team and cooperate effectively.
- They increase confidence and discipline.
- They enhance decision-making skills.
- Doing sports boosts your mood and ability to withstand stress.
As for your career, including sports as a hobby in your CV makes you an attractive competitor!
How Do I Monetize My Sports Hobby?
|🏆||Coaching your local team. Teams are often in need of coaches and will be more than happy to offer you a job.|
|⚽||Working as a referee. Most schools are on the lookout for a referee, and many sports require one.|
|🏋️||Training. You can also get a job as a coach in a gym or as a personal trainer. If your sport is on the less mainstream side, you can become a sought-after personal trainer!|
7. Music as a Hobby
Millions of people say that music is their hobby. The chances are high that you are one of them. Isn’t it great that you can not only enjoy but also monetize your hobby?
What Skills Do I Need to Be a Musician?
It all depends on your talents and what you want to do when it comes to music. Here are the skills that are in demand:
- Playing an instrument
- Music production
- Music recording
You can learn all of these by taking any of these free courses on Future Learn.
Where Do I Start with My Music Hobby?
- Buy an instrument and master it. While you don’t always need a real instrument to record music, playing one is always beneficial.
- If you are into singing, learn by doing vocal covers. You can invest in a microphone to record yourself.
- If you are interested in songwriting, try out Garage Band or any other similar software. Once you outgrow it, move on to a more advanced program.
- Post your music on Apple Music and Soundcloud to get feedback and start building a supporter base.
How Is Music Beneficial for My Studies and Career?
- First and foremost, music is an emotional outlet. However, you can also learn about other people and cultures through music.
- Playing music is an excellent way to develop your cognitive skills and creativity. The more creative you are, the better you can think outside the box and find interesting solutions.
- These qualities will become apparent if you mention music in your CV. Just make sure that you write about playing music, not just listening to it as a hobby.
How Do I Monetize My Music Hobby?
|🎼||Teaching music. It’s the easiest way to monetize this hobby. Become a tutor, and you will have a steady income.|
|🎸||Selling your music on Bandcamp. It is a great place for potential fans to discover your music and pay you for making it. You can even sell your merchandise there!|
|🎶||Creating stock music. You can sell it on platforms such as Airbit. It is a lucrative market, and if you are musically gifted, you won’t regret exploring it.|
Hopefully, at least one of these popular hobbies is of interest to you! Now that we’ve armed you with the knowledge to monetize them, we look forward to hearing about your hobbies in the comments. Best of luck!