At some point in your studying, you might be asked to produce The Yellow Wallpaper analysis essay. Well, if you’re reading this, you have already received this task! Let’s do it step by step.
This article by Custom-Writing.org experts contains The Yellow Wallpaper essay topics, writing prompts, and samples. Go on reading if you want to learn more!
💡 The Yellow Wallpaper: Essay Topics
First of all, you should think about the topic of your writing. The Yellow Wallpaper is a story written by Charlotte Perkins Gilman at the end of the 19th century. It is considered to be one of the strongest and prominent feminist pieces of literature.
These facts might be your first clue for choosing The Yellow Wallpaper essay topic. Try to look at this issue from your perspective. It is a tip for the guaranteed success of your essay.
In case you don’t particularly fancy the theme of feminism in The Yellow Wallpaper, there are many other options. One of the best methods is highlighting the moments that stand out for you in the story. Don’t forget to write down any questions you might have during the reading to use them later.
However, if you don’t want to waste your time on it, jump straight away to the list of topics prepared for The Yellow Wallpaper essay.
- Study the issue of the gender roles in the story and compare it to modern norms. The Yellow Wallpaper highlights the problem of the suppression of women. You may include some comments on family life as well. Since this topic is quite popular, we also suggest working on your unique interpretation of this question.
- The Yellow Wallpaper’s conclusion: different versions. How do you understand the ending of the story? Why do you think the author cut it at that specific moment? Brainstorm these questions and try to figure out what would be the most natural continuation. Don’t forget to support your opinion with fair arguments.
- What is the relationship between the narrator of The Yellow Wallpaper and the diary? The main character seems to get some relief from journaling her thoughts and daily life. It doesn’t help prevent the total crash of her identity at the end of the story. Write The Yellow Wallpaper character analysis essay.
- Draw a parallel between the description of the wallpaper and the mental health of the narrator. We can notice the change in the writing as the mental illness of the narrator progresses. Look into one particular moment there, the description of the wallpaper. How does the pattern change foreshadowing future breakdown?
- Compare The Yellow Wallpaper to another feministic piece of writing of the same time frame. Here it would be perfect if you found some unique elements that Charlotte Perkins Gilman uses in her story. Don’t forget that the focus of this essay should be on feminism. For better outcomes, add a hook at the beginning of your article.
- The Yellow Wallpaper and marriage: is it the fault of the husband? Most people prefer to blame the husband in this story. Indeed, in the 19th century, women didn’t have much choice. However, we can see that the narrator has the power to resist the control of her husband. She doesn’t understand that she can do it.
- The role of personification as a tool used by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. It would help if you wrote a literary analysis essay on The Yellow Wallpaper. Reread the story and find out why personification is used at some moments. How does it affect the writing’s mood, and doesn’t Gilman use some other devices there?
- Stigmatizing postpartum depression in The Yellow Wallpaper. This issue is slightly related to The Yellow Wallpaper essay on feminism. Most women’s psychological problems are neglected as only being “in the head.” Miserable were those suffering postpartum depression, as one can see from the treatment plan chosen by John in the story.
- Explore different literary devices that are used to highlight the issue of depression in The Yellow Wallpaper. Analyze what the narrator writes about her state and find the literary devices that Gilman uses to relate to it. For instance, repetition points out the confusion at one place and hopelessness at the other.
- Can we trust the narrator? The point of view in The Yellow Wallpaper plays an important role. The reader can only perceive the events through the narrator. However, it means that some things can be not that obvious. Try to analyze the hints and symbolism to find out the missing part of the story.
✒️ The Yellow Wallpaper: Essay Samples
Below you’ll find a collection of The Yellow Wallpaper essay examples. Hope you’ll find them useful!