In our citation examples we use the following color coding:
- Red – Author
- Blue – Title of book/article/charter/webpage
- Pink – Date
- Orange – Website/Publisher
- Green – Title of journal
- Gray – URL/database/website where the source is retrieved
- Peach – Additional information about the source (i.e. its type, specific features etc.)
Document on World Wide Web
Be sure not to use quotation marks for the title of an article, but make it italicized.
Folkman, J 2013, Top 9 leadership behaviors that drive employee commitment, viewed 26 January 2017, <http://zengerfolkman.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/ZFA-9-Behaviors.pdf>.Download Citation in .docx
Document on World Wide Web (no author)
Seven steps for effective leadership development 2012, viewed 26 January 2017, <http://www.oracle.com/us/media1/steps-effective-leadership-dev-1657106.pdf>.Download Citation in .docx
Document on World Wide Web (no date)
Use [n.d.] for [no date] without any capitalization.
Ricketts, K n.d., Leadership vs. management, viewed 26 January 2017,
Image on World Wide Web
Maslow’s hierarhy of needs, 2016, image, viewed 26 January 2017, <https://fthmb.tqn.com/oYE4xPDfBJJLBn8LcdE-6rz6Gng=/768x0/filters:no_upscale()/about/hierarchy-of-needs-56a791433df78cf772972cac.png>.Download Citation in .docx
Image on World Wide Web (no date)
SWOT analysis, n.d., image, viewed 26 January 2017, <http://pas-wordpress-media.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/tows_small.jpg>.Download Citation in .docx
Aland, M 2016, Priyanka Prakash promoted to managing editor at Fit Small Business, media release, 16 November, viewed 26 January 2017, <http://fitsmallbusiness.com/press-release-priyanka-prakash-promoted-managing-editor-fit-small-business/>.Download Citation in .docx
- standards are particular requirements that are adopted by a whole country, but not by a single organization.
- do not forget to add the whole code of a standard even though it repeats the year of publication.
- be sure not to include a code in the title of a standard. It should be separated with a coma and not italicized.
- there is no necessity to add the name of an organization that developed a standard even though it is known.
Standards New Zealand 2004, Business continuity management, HB 221:2004, viewed 27 January 2017, <http://www.preventionweb.net/publications/view/41501>.Download Citation in .docx
Companions to already existing standards
The reference consists of two codes – the code of a standard that is included in the title of a standard and italicized, and the code of a companion that is separated.
Standards New Zealand 2013, Risk management guidelines - companion to AS/NZS ISO 31000:2009, HB 436:2013, viewed 27 January 2017, <http://www.preventionweb.net/publications/view/41427>.Download Citation in .docx
- do not capitalize the name of a website unless it includes proper nouns.
- there is no necessity to add a full date even if it is available; the year of publication is enough.
Mader, S 2009, ‘How to tell people why your company exists’, Grow your wiki, viewed 27 January 2017, <http://www.ikiw.org/2009/01/23/how_to_tell_people_why_your_company_exists/index.html>.Download Citation in .docx
Be sure to add the whole date when the blog post was published.
Witt, D 2017, When facing pressure, don’t just try to survive; learn to thrive, weblog, 25 January, viewed 27 January 2017,
Online newspaper from a website
Chrisafis, A 2017, ‘Penelope-gate casts dark shadow over Fillon's presidential prospects’, The Guardian, 27 January, viewed 27 January 2017, <https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/27/penelope-gate-casts-dark-shadow-over-fillons-presidential-prospects>.Download Citation in .docx