Are you fed up with classical recipes for writing college admission essays? Some of them are so obvious that you do not see any practical value in them at all. Check out these shocking and truly effective tips on successful application essay writing.
College admission essay tips
Here are 7 important recommendations on effective college entrance essay writing, which you will never learn from your teachers and parents:
- Enjoy yourself. You should not close yourself in your room waiting for the Muse to appear. If you want to go for a walk or even to a party, do it. (Just know where to stop with this so that you start writing as well!) A walk or even a bit of fun can help you relax and generate some fresh ideas.
- If a truly good idea comes into your head late at night, do not hesitate to switch on the light and write it down. You see, inspiration is unpredictable. The Muse does not care about your schedule -so you will need to adjust to it.
- Feel free to listen to music and chew gum when writing your essay. It can help you relax and stimulate your cognitive abilities.
- If you do not want to keep your working table in order when writing, feel free to work with it as messy as you want it. If you like this atmosphere, keep it as it is. Whatever makes you happy! You will have a wonderful opportunity to clean your room after you complete your paper. It can symbolize your triumph and the beginning of a new period in your life – the expectation of an admission letter.
- Make your application paper realistic. You see, the images of “Mr. Know It All” or “Miss Perfection Always Meets the Deadlines” are truly annoying and can get committees suspicious. They can think that you either are unaware of your weaknesses or hide them carefully for certain reasons.
- Everyone tells you not to panic. However, it is not an appropriate time for relaxation either! Moreover, some people work better in stressful situations. Perhaps, you might want to try to let your panic reign for a while if it helps you to brainstormsome fresh ideas – just remember to calm down later, when you start writing your college application essay!
- Grab the attention of the committee by all means. Let’s face the truth, admission committees are sick and tired of all those sugar-coated promises of applicants, who swear to be good students and save the world. It does not mean that you may use slang or colloquialisms. However, including fresh ideas and thinking outside the box would be great.
College admission essay ideas
Do you want some effective strategies for creating marvelous personal statements? Here they are:
- Past – present – future. Do not hesitate to use this timeline to generate ideas for your essays. You can start from a significant event in your life (past), write why you are a good candidate today (present) and draw a conclusion about your future plans after graduation.
- Applicant – college match. Write why you were made for this college and this college was made for you. Provide weighty arguments.
- A turning point in your life. Describe an important event in your life, which motivated you to choose the professional pathway you have chosen.
- A funny story with a twisted ending. Even though it is a rather risky option, you might want to use some humor in your paper to entertain the admission committee. Weigh all pros and cons of this option before making the final choice.
The most striking thing about all these tips is that they are not mandatory – you should not follow any of them if you do not want to. Find your own way to writing a winning college admission paper.