Your personal statement can make the difference between your acceptance to the college of your dreams and failure. So, you should do everything humanly possible for writing an application essay of exceptional quality. However, before you roll up your sleeves and get busy, spend a few minutes to check these professional tips, which will definitely make your life easier.
Writing a personal statement: main questions
So, what to write in a personal statement? Here are the best time-proven options (even better if combined in a single essay):
- WHY you have chosen this career option;
- WHY you are a good candidate;
- WHY you have chosen this institution.
Writing a personal statement that wins
The next question is how to write a personal statement? Here are some valuable recommendations:
- Write about your past, present and future:
- Past: your prior achievements and background knowledge;
- Present: what makes you a good candidate today;
- Future: what do you plan to do after receiving a degree.
- Choose the right tone. Yes, you should convey the best image possible in this paper. No, you should not go too far with self-promotion. Try to act as a clever advertiser: do not tell that you are the best possible applicant of all times, simply help the committee get to this conclusion by themselves.
- Make it personal. Tell your own story. Surely, plagiarism is out of the question here. Personal in this case means unique. Try to tell something that nobody but you can tell. However, do not go too far with it. When writing an admission essay, you should use only relevant information.
- Use some humor. However, you should do it carefully and avoid the extremes.
- Try to make it convincing. Use weighty arguments to show why you should win over other applicants. Use vivid language and examples.
- Structure your personal statements logically to make them easy-to-read. Include an introduction, main body and conclusion. Check the transitions between different sections. Read your statement out aloud and make certain that the ideas flow easily and logically.
- Proofread your personal statement carefully. Eliminate all the slightest errors. Ask a friend, relative or even teacher to proofread your essay. Don’t be too shy to ask for help. Remember that your future is at stake now.
Congratulations! Now you know how to write a college application essay of exceptional quality and won’t have any problems writing a personal statement.