Searching for original, thought-provoking and really controversial debate topics? Here they are! Selecting any of these 25 controversial topics for debate, you can guarantee a heated dispute in class or exciting polemics with your friends.
Debate topics: Men and Women
Questions dealing with psychology of men and women are arguably the most controversial. Be careful when touching upon them not to ruin your relations with others.
- Females are better managers than males.
- Jealousy is always caused by lack of trust.
- All women are irrational and use intuition instead of logic.
- Men should take parenting leaves regularly.
- Exes can be just friends.
Debate topics: Current Laws
When discussing current laws, you should do some preliminary research and make certain to support your position with strong arguments.
- Capital punishment should be preserved for serial killers and international terrorists.
- Juniors should take the same responsibility as adults for serious offenses.
- Parents should be punished for misdeeds of their children.
- Three strikes laws are effective for reducing the number of serious offenses.
- Driving age should be raised to 18.
Debate topics: Health Care
You may lack knowledge in the medical field. However, you can express your personal opinion and support it with relevant citations.
- Herbal medicine is better than traditional health care.
- Patients should not be allowed to refuse treatment because of their religious beliefs.
- Physician-assisted suicide should be prohibited.
- Prescription drug ads should be banned.
- High-fat products should be labeled with official health warnings.
Debate topics: College Life
When discussing different aspects of college life, you can express your personal concerns.
- Participation in sports clubs should be mandatory.
- Exams should be replaced with more effective assessment formats.
- Students should combine work and studies to start their careers earlier.
- Classes should start in the afternoon.
- Students should be allowed to give grades to their tutors.
Debate topics: Personal Relations
Personal relations play an important role in our lives and can become a perfect starter for polemics.
- The psychological climate in class is important for students’ achievements.
- Families should be allowed to adopt children overseas.
- No-fault divorces should be prohibited. Divorce procedures should be made more complicated.
- Poorer families are happier than single high-income earners.
- The extremes do not meet in personal relations.
No matter which debate topic you choose, any of these 25 controversial questions ensures success of your speech or essay. You are welcome to use these debating topics to receive a good grade or just for fun.