After the exhausting marathon of dissertation writing, completing an abstract can seem a mere trifle. Simply repeat everything you have already written in the main body of your project in a brief and concise form. However, there are several pitfalls and you should better know how to avoid them to make your thesis summary truly effective and all-inclusive.
Dissertation Abstract: Avoid the Pitfalls
The abstract is a brief summary that focuses on the methods, results and conclusions of your study. Actually, a lot of people will judge the value of your thesis by the quality of its abstract only. This is why you’d better avoid the following errors:
- exceeding the limit of 350 words;
- discussing why the study was conducted, but not why it is valuable;
- omitting your findings and/or conclusions;
- using empty words;
When you are looking for a job, you can experience different feelings. Some people feel frustration when they can not find something appropriate. Others can feel excited as any interview provides them with experience useful for successive job applications. In this respect, any kind of experience is positive in terms of knowledge and practice of some communication skills and techniques.
We all know what should be done until it comes to the push. When we apply for a job, all lessons of life disappear at once in spite of certain experience and self-confidence. You should plan your actions and respond to the anticipated questions beforehand as a rehearsal of the interview. This is as complicated as writing a doctor degree dissertation.
- When you are engaged into the process of writing a doctor/master degree dissertation, you should follow certain rules. It goes without saying that a sense of harmony should be used for a doctor/master degree dissertation as well.
- Obligatory requirements and rubrics should be considered in the process of writing a doctor/master degree dissertation. Do not think that a detail does not matter because in a doctor/master degree dissertation everything matters just like in an interview.
- The basic rules of writing are essential in the process of writing a doctor/master degree dissertation. Your language should be coherent and smooth in order to be more understandable for the readers of your doctor/master degree dissertation.
Though your writing skills may be not really appropriate for a doctor/master degree dissertation, you have a chance to improve those before starting to write your thesis. Readily detectable errors should be excluded from your doctor/master degree dissertation in order to gain a higher grade.
You are a good student and an experienced writer. Your academic papers are always highly evaluated and set as examples of perfect style and neat structure. If all these statements can characterize your writing skills, you should be engaged into the process of writing a dissertation project.
Though the research takes a lot of time and you have to be constantly focused, you can succeed if you combine new information with your experience in writing. As you know, every section has some limitations in terms of length and format. Some educational establishments require their students to insert tables into the paper body, while others suggest those visual aids to be introduced in the appendices section. A dissertation length is one of the common issues that horrify students.
Longer means better: common rules on dissertation length
Do not be afraid to view other dissertation projects because of dissertation length. In this respect, the dissertation length is not the most important aspect of writing. You should take into account the category of study, novelty of the topic, and other researches conducted in this area before being intimidated with the dissertation length. The category and the number of previous studies on this topic certainly matter while trying to figure out the approximate dissertation length.
The most useful hint consists in asking your supervisor about all refinements concerning the project as well as the dissertation length. Remember that all details concerning the format, dissertation length, structure, and content of your high-level academic paper are not invented by one person. A dissertation committee is the group of people that reads and evaluates the papers and judges on the relevance of your arguments during your dissertation defense.
One of the most captivating dissertations to write is design dissertation. In modern world, design is one of the most significant factors of human life, since design is everywhere – from large office buildings and attraction parks to your own bathroom. If you find yourself at a loss as to where to start your design dissertation, do not give up too soon! Read through our design dissertation guide and find out how to enjoy writing your design dissertation!
Design Dissertation: Finding the General Area to Explore
As we have already noticed, design is everywhere! Therefore, you can choose from a widest range of areas to explore in your design dissertation. Here are just a few ideas:
- The history of design in various periods of human existence (the ancient times, the Middle Ages, the Renaissance, etc.)
- Design as art.
- Philosophy of design.
- Separate branches of design (interior design, car design, toy design, etc.)
- Stylistic peculiarities of a certain designer.
- Web design as a modern quintessence of design.
- Social significance of design.
Design Dissertation: Collecting Information
It is no secret that a proper dissertation should be written based on a significant study of already existing research. Design dissertation is no exception to the rule. That is why it is advisable that you collect sufficient information from both primary and secondary sources in order to develop the ideas of your design dissertation. Among those sources you may consider some of the following:
- Design artifacts from various periods depending on the topic of your dissertation.
- Articles and research publications from specialized peer-reviewed editions.
- If your topic is web design, consider a selection of websites demonstrating the key design principles, etc.
Most students are aware of the fact that dissertation writing is not that easy. Among the most difficult obstacles for dissertation writing is choosing the topic, the title and the methods which are the pillars of a scientific paper. In this regard, dissertation assistance is a true way-out for those students who lag behind the group or who dream of getting a good grade.
What is dissertation assistance?
Dissertation assistance serves as a threshold for students to start working. Highly qualified professionals will help you to decide on a title and topic. They can also instruct you to organize the entire work, beginning from a dissertation proposal and ending with a dissertation conclusion. Apart from organizational moments, dissertation assistance can impart students with other useful qualities, like persistence, curiosity, self-awareness, and aspiration for knowledge. As you can see, dissertation assistance involves no drawbacks, but merits only.
What is the role of tutor in writing a dissertation?
- Your tutor can provide with effective dissertation assistance, as he/she is aware of what you are good at and which topics are in the limelight among students.
- It is better to ask your tutor or instructor for dissertation assistance, since he/she can offer specific format requirements that must be observed when writing a scientific paper.
- Dissertation assistance will grant you with catchy and inspiring ideas necessary for accomplishing this sophisticated assignment.
- Finally, dissertation assistance leaves more space for persistent and hard work and learns to organize work and rest properly.
Figuring out a dissertation subject seams to be the most difficult choice in the whole process of writing a paper. Naturally, the phenomenon under consideration should be interesting, modern and meet all the requirements to the dissertation subjects.
Sometimes it is completely new and not researched. However, dissertation subject may reveal some unknown sides of already investigated topic or even field of science. Nevertheless, the dissertation subject deserves deep analysis and proper understanding of its importance.
Dissertation subject: The first focus
From the first look it is very simple to find some dissertation subject you are interested in. however, it is not as easy as it may seem. After choosing the subject for dissertation one should examine it according to some criteria. They are the following:
- Subject for dissertation should not be too limited or vice versa too broad. One should know precisely what to describe and what methodology to use. It may cover some new phenomenon or investigate the old one with the innovative technique.
- Dissertation subject is required to be quite modern and have some practical application. According to established rules every dissertation consists of theoretical and practical chapters. Your dissertation subject should meet the requirements. If you want to write about some notion consult this with the scientific advisor. Some subjects may seem to be very interesting for you but they are not worth studying. Remember, you are making contribution into science. Everything should be planned beforehand.
- Great desire to work, interest to the topic and proper subject for dissertation will bring you success and recognition.
If one wants to write a perfect dissertation and does not spend much time on writing, a proficient work should be done beforehand. The dissertation preparation stage is more important than dissertation writing. If one is surprised about this information, we are going to explain it.
Students should check this article to understand dissertation preparation stage is much more difficult and time consuming. If one does not believe this information, he/she should check these steps which students should complete before getting down to dissertation writing.
A step by step guide for students to complete a dissertation preparation stage
- The first step on students’ dissertation preparation stage should be a topic consideration and instructions check. Some students are required to follow some specific rules while writing dissertations. It is important to keep those in mind.
- The second step on students’ dissertation preparation stage is the collection of the information. This is considered to be one of the most time consuming steps as students are to gather all the information they can on a topic the have chosen. Then, they should analyze that information and choose only that one which seems the most appropriate for them. It is important for dissertation preparation stage. Next, students should organize the information, site the sources and be ready to layout the information logically, specifically and to the point.
- The third step on dissertation preparation stage is the consideration of the main idea of the experiment. Students should also decide on a method of experiment conduction, qualitative or quantitative.
- Writing a dissertation proposal is the final step on a dissertation preparation stage.
A dissertation layout is a crucial part of the dissertation making process because it acts as a guide for the rest of the paper. The dissertation layout can then be developed into an elaborate dissertation as long as certain principles are followed. If you are looking to make an outstanding dissertation, then this is a great place to start.
Importance of a Dissertation Layout
Dissertation layouts basically involve designing key components of the paper format. Consequently, they need to adhere to a basic structure found in most academic writings. However, because institutions vary in terms of their preferences then writers must consult with their institutions to find out what the preferred format is. Meeting the right dissertation layout requirements makes a paper easily identifiable and standardized. It also ensures that publications are unproblematic.
What Should Be Included in The Layout?
A dissertation layout must have all the following items:
- Abstract and table of contents
- Literature review
- Data analysis
- Discussion of results
Students must ensure that page numbering, line spacing and paragraphing are precise in their dissertation layouts. Most dissertation layouts often start from the Introduction and line spacing is specified by institutions as first line-double spaced. Furthermore, the nature and size of fonts utilized must also be taken into account. Here, most institutions expect students to use Times New Roman – size 12 font. Depending on the subject area, graphs, charts and other graphical illustrations should also be included.
Difficulties of scientific work
Before deciding on a scientific work, people should weigh all pros and cons of this consequential choice. This career path opens up plenty of opportunities, presupposing numerous challenges at the same time. Every dissertation writer will have to solve various problems with one’s research process. Most scientific workers are not in clover.
Being aimed at making a contribution to scientific knowledge or making a career, they often have to sacrifice their personal time. A dissertation writer does not know what the concept of fixed working hours means. They might work on their researches late at night, on weekends or whenever they have got some spare time.
Relatives and friends of a dissertation writer are induced to accept the situation. Reviewing the current literature and conducting experiments requires a lot of time and appropriate investments. After making some outstanding discoveries it might be compensated. Still, at the beginning of the research process a dissertation writer and members of his/her family should arm themselves with patience and be ready to sacrificing their time and efforts.
Tips for enhancing the proficiency of a dissertation writer
- Every dissertation writer should set the priorities before starting the research process. The importance of self-motivation should not be underestimated.
- A dissertation writer should plan one’s time and devote enough time to the night rest and one’s family. It is preferable to strike the right balance between one’s personal life and work.
- Start from writing an outline for your research paper. Most experienced dissertation writers unanimously emphasize the importance of thinking over the process before proceeding to actions.
- A dissertation writer should analyze the productivity of one’s labor at the end of every working day. Choosing goals and achieving them could enhance the effectiveness of the research process significantly.
As a rule, students cope with their dissertation structures without difficulties, just following to the well-known template. However, dissertation structure is more than dividing a dissertation text into several sections. Let us offer you some dissertation structure hints that may be helpful for you.
Dissertation Structure: How Much Should Each Section Take?
First of all, it is important to distribute dissertation length between the sections appropriately. The following dissertation structure is recommended:
- Title Page
- Abstract (300-500 words)
- Table of Contents
- Introduction (10%)
- Literature review (20%)
- Methodology (20%)
- Findings and Discussion (30 %)
- Conclusions and Recommendations (15%)
Dissertation Structure: How Are Sections Connected?
For good dissertation structure, it is not sufficient just to divide a paper: it is necessary to make it harmonious and monolithic. Let us consider how dissertation sections are connected to each other:
Dissertation Structure: Introduction / Literature Review
In your Literature review section, you show the starting point of your research. You are to outline how much has already been done by other researchers in term of studying your subject. Make sure you analyze literature in the dimension of a problem and a purpose of your research. Do not deviate.
Dissertation Structure: Literature Review / Methodology
In your Methodology section, you should describe which research methods you plan to use and why. In your Literature Review section, you can also highlight methods which methods were used by other researchers and then allude to them in a Methodology section.
Dissertation Structure: Methodology / Findings and Discussion
Make sure that in your Findings and Discussion section, you do not repeat what you have already said in a Methodology section. Methodology is about general approach to a research while Findings and Discussions is about what exactly you do and what results you get.